VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, one of my roommates (I have 3) told me that she is losing her taste for meat and was inspired by me to try vegetarianism.
I feel so honored that she is willing to try it, because I haven't been talking that much about it around her. She said she looked up videos about the conditions that animals were kept in, and she doesn't like that. I am happy that she is going to try it, but I don't know if I should continue to encourage vegetarianism because I don't want to sound preachy or forceful and then turn her off to the idea. Any ideas on what I should do? I've given her a few tips so far, like watching labels and the gelatin thing, and maybe taking a vitamin, but I don't know what else I should say to still be encouraging. Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Make something yummy to share! Or suggest cooking a new yummy looking recipe together..something with simple ingredients

and YAY! That is exciting and wonderful!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that sounds like a good idea!
Thanks, Mary. I will try to find a yummy recipe to make/share.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think being encouraging in the sense of being supportive of her interest in vegetarianism isn't going to be misinterpreted as being preachy. And I agree that cooking something delicious would be a good approach - and maybe offer to cook with her so she can learn to cook something new. Also, maybe just let her know if she wants to ask you any questions about it she can talk to you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've dated several guys that after hearing me talk about my reasons for going vegetarian have decided to give it a try. I always say how awesome it is and I offer to let them borrow my resources (documentaries, books, etc.). I also always have a conversation basically saying that if they decide it isn't right for them that they shouldn't feel that they have to do it. I think that is important because it shows that if they do go back to eating meat (or they never stop eating it in the first place) that I'll still care for them. Yeah, I want everyone to go veg, but that isn't realistic. And I know I've gotten negative responses for saying this on here before, but people need to want to change for the right reasons for themselves, not for someone else. I value honestly, and I always felt like if I pushed too hard or didn't have the "you don't have to do this for me" conversation that they might hide the fact that they reverted back to eating meat. Good luck! That's awesome.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Yay! That's awesome!

I don't think you need to preach one bit. She's already interested and open to discussing it with you, so let her bring it up - it sounds like she already did anyway. In the meantime, I suggest doing some knockout veggie cooking to share with her. That way she'll see that it's not a diet of denial or deprivation. Maybe you can invite her to cook with you, try veggie restaurants together, that kind of thing. Once she sees that it's possible, practical, delicious and fun, it might nudge her even more in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

I've dated several guys that after hearing me talk about my reasons for going vegetarian have decided to give it a try. I always say how awesome it is and I offer to let them borrow my resources (documentaries, books, etc.). I also always have a conversation basically saying that if they decide it isn't right for them that they shouldn't feel that they have to do it. I think that is important because it shows that if they do go back to eating meat (or they never stop eating it in the first place) that I'll still care for them. Yeah, I want everyone to go veg, but that isn't realistic. And I know I've gotten negative responses for saying this on here before, but people need to want to change for the right reasons for themselves, not for someone else. I value honestly, and I always felt like if I pushed too hard or didn't have the "you don't have to do this for me" conversation that they might hide the fact that they reverted back to eating meat. Good luck! That's awesome.
Perfect tact as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

I've dated several guys that after hearing me talk about my reasons for going vegetarian have decided to give it a try. I always say how awesome it is and I offer to let them borrow my resources (documentaries, books, etc.).
Some guys will agree to anything to get their hands on your resources.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Some guys will agree to anything to get their hands on your resources.
LOL, while true they've probably already gotten their hands on the goods long before the veg*n discussions come up.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I would just have a few veg friendly parties and to teach her the importance of living a Veg lifestyle. You don't need to sound too preachy to make it a fun time with great fun foods.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think you should just let her know that if she has any questions that you are definitely willing to answer them for her. I think Ade's suggestion of sharing cookbooks or videos or anything else you have is a fantastic idea. I know when I tried going vegetarian years ago my problem was not knowing what to cook and getting a cookbook never crossed my mind. This was also before all the blogs and recipe sites and whatnot also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ah that's great she's considering it! I'd imagine it'd be really nice to have someone you live with be vegetarian, so you'd be able to share recipies and cook together etc. I unfortunately don't (I live with 6 friends) and none of them share my views (not in a bad way, I would never judge someone because they don't share my opinions) and they eat alot of meat.. literally it's in all of their meals.

Just ensure that she understands that you're happy with what she's doing, and if she doesn't stick to it, then you're not going to be funny about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

LOL, while true they've probably already gotten their hands on the goods long before the veg*n discussions come up.
Oh man I feel like you know me IRL.
lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!
My only concern is that she is doing it because she thinks it is cool. She did say that she was grossed out by the factory farming video, but I don't know how much that is playing into the decision she's made. I will have to tell her that she will still be a friend if it doesn't work out for her. I just want her to be able to eat a healthy veg diet, and not one that is filled with junk food.
Thanks again, everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts