VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been Vegan for one month as of today, and I'm quite proud of myself. It started out as a pact berween a friend and I saying that we would do something new for one month, every month for a year. Last month's was veganism. We went cold turkey, and I've loved it. I'm more energetic, I don't have to worry about food, not in the same I used to, and I feel like I'm actually doing something worthwhile so I plan on staying vegan. I do however, have two questions for the 'pro' vegans:

Are there any foods or practices that can help me get over cravings for meaty, greasy, cheesy foods I am having? I have been having cravings for the past week, maybe week and a half. They aren't hard to handle and they usually go away once I eat but, well, let's just say that I've started seeing pizza and hamburgers everywhere I go. I keep telling myself that I will get over this hurdle as long as I don't give in but it wouldn't hurt to have a crutch to help me along the way.

Being vegan has made me much more aware of my own health, but I have been eating a lot of vegan junk food lately. Is that going to cancel out any of the progress I have made, health wise?
To clarify, the junk food I am talking about is: Wheat Thins (Low Sodium); Wheat Thins (Garden Harvest); Vegetable Thins; A lot of nuts and seeds; Soy Crisps (Barbecue Flavor); Soy Chocolate Milk; Fruitsicles; Rice Krispies (with Soy Chocolate Milk, even!); A lot of peanut butter; Microwaveable dishes (like 'Simply Asia Sesame Teriyaki Noodles); And using Canola oil for food (I've been eating a lot of stir-fry since I went vegan). I guess, to answer my own question, of course of lot of those things are going to cancel out some progress I've made (the peanut butters, nuts, oil, etc.) so what I'm really asking is, by how much?

Any answers would be very much appreciated. Take care!

[Edit]

I felt I should add that most of my friends and family are supportive. My dad put up a fight at first because, being one who loves to cook for others, he felt as though he couldn't spoil me with foods anymore (sweet, isn't it?). However he's begun to embrace my veganism as an opportunity to extend his culinary expertise, which is great for me because I'm not very fond of cooking. My mother hasn't really told me how she's felt about it, she's been supportive but all that she's actually said on the subject is, "We raised you to think for yourself and now we to have to deal with the repercussions." and "I don't know how it happened, but I think your veganism has something to do with it--I've lost 10 pounds!" so I don't think she minds that much. The most irritating factor of veganism, and I'm sure you all know what I am talking about, has been that once I tell someone that I'm vegan they suddenly become nutritional experts and, before asking anything about my diet, tell me that I'm not eating enough protein and in one [rather funny] case, "You're going to die when you're only 30 because your bones will all break from no milk!" But, from what I've read on doctors with vegan patients and the like, that's something I'll have to get used to.

Once again, thank you for any help you offer. This website has been of great help so far even though until now I've only been a lurker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, and yes I did. It was surprisingly easy for me, there's just something about the diet that suits me. It filled a space where it felt like something was missing. Weird, huh?

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Go to your local pizza parlor and talk to the folks there about there dough and sauce ingredients. At one place I like I can get the "vegetarian special", and I tell them "NO CHEESE" A touch of salt some pepper flakes, and that's good to go. You might also ask them if you can bring some Vegan cheese of your liking, and would they sprinkle it on your pizza.

These cravings are are not difficult to resolve. Yous actions, feeling, and willpower, must be resolute. Don't obsesse over them. I am still on a wild sensual ride of new and exciting flavors from such things as I'd never heard of before:

Chia

Teff

Tempeh

Amaranthe

Millet

Quinoa

And more, along with exotic dishes from what were foreign cultural cuisines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
About our cravings... I've found that veganizing stuff helps. Pizza can be really good without cheese, even! Look at what I made. Good stuff.

I agree with Vegan Joe about going to a local pizza place and checking. Just be carefull, crusts can easily have whey in them or other animal ingredients. If you want more of a fast food place, Pizza Hut's thin crust pizza and normal sause are vegan, as far as I know. Tastey stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My husband and I just did the exact same thing! Just a personal challenge on our way to eating healthier. We were complete omnis and went vegan on Jan 1. Early in the month DH had talked about going out for a big steak dinner on Feb 1st.....by the time we got to the end of the month, and he had lost 9 lbs. and he changed his mind on the steak dinner.

So we are happily sticking with a vegan diet and feeling great about it!

I also miss pizza, in fact we are going to our neice's birthday party where there will be pizza served this evening. So I am planning on us having something to eat before we go and I am hoping that the bowling alley will have salad!

As for bugers, we have been quite happy with the Boca burgers, pop on a slicce of veggie cheese, lettuce, onion tomato and avocado...they are great!

Good luck in sticking with it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have a donatoes? They have a pizza with no crust. I no for a fact (and its because my friend is vegan.) When she gets pizza its from Papa Johns it has something to do with the crust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of this is making me want to run to the nearest pizza parlor and order a vegan pizza. Thank you all for the suggestions so far, they're going to be easy to try out!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi, congratulations first of all, great job!

On the cravings - how about fries and veggie burger? I know they are bad for you, but if you limit it to only really hard times of craving like once or twice a month, they do the trick. Just make sure you don't buy the fries from McDonald's or some other place that fries them in animal fat.

On the junk food - just because a food has fat in it, it doesn't make it junk. There are "good" fats and "bad" fats. I would not count nuts and seeds as junk food; they are good for you when used in small amounts. So is peanut butter when used in moderation. You might want to read the book "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina; it has tons of info on nutrition for vegans.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i feel the same way. like its filled a gap i've had in my life for a while. I really, honestly love it, i would live my life no other way! plus its nice knowing i can eat whenever i want to and not watch caloires as much, but more of fat from nuts and seeds....mmmmmmm....i love seeds
!!! sorry..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts