VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four days ago I celebrated one month without meat! I'm really surprised that I've made it this long (I have commitment issues XD) and excited too. It's so worth getting past the first week because now it's so much easier.

Anyways, my mom bought some flax seed for me, and I was just wondering how much of that I'm supposed to eat per day?

I'm also thinking of taking a supplement...a multi-vitamin of some sort. I'm not really sure what I should take (or if I even need one), so any advice on that would be good. I try to eat well, I eat almonds almost every day...lots of beans and vegetables and fruits...drink soy milk in my cereal and eat whole wheat pasta, so I'm not even sure if I need one. But I just want to...be careful.

And I'm not sure about taking B12 supplements. If I'm lacto-ovo do I still get B12?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
2 tablespoons of flax seed per day. It needs to be ground up first for it to do any good.

Yes, it would be a good idea to take a b12 pill even if you are a lacto-ovo, unless you're eating a lot of fortified foods, then you might okay without one.

If you're eating a healthy, varied diet (which it sounds like you are!!) you probably don't need a multivitamin, but there are several vegetarian ones available if you wanted to get one.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Once again, I'll recommend the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. It'll help you analyze your nutritional needs.

As for the flax seed, as kpickell said, it needs to be ground up first. You can buy ground flax seed, or grind it yourself if you have a grinder. I've got to look into that myself, as I buy ground seeds to put in my cereal. From what I've seen, the whole seeds are MUCH cheaper than the ground ones, but I don't have any way to grind them. I might want to invest in a coffee grinder, under the assumption that I'll save money on the seeds in the long run. Anyone have grinder recommendations if I'm only using it for flax?

--Fromper

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I bought the cheapest coffee grinder I could find. Works fine.

I haven't noticed a cost difference between the ground and whole flaxseeds. I just buy the whole ones now because some expressed concern that the pre-ground flax seeds might loose their omega 3 potency before usage.

·
Banned
134 Posts
The milled flaxseed instead of just flax oil, has lignans to prevent cancer and one of the best fibers there is. If you are concerned about too much, remember it is a food. I bought a woman corn and soy chips with flaxseeds. She has psoriasis and omega-3 is very good for lubricating the skin, brain and arteries.

I told her that if she does not chew a tiny seed it will not digest. But I told her that I got her that first to show her that it is a food not a medicine. I just bought her milled flaxseed. Even though B-12 is in animal foods, those foods increase the need for it. It is good to take a supplement for it. But to get some from a food, it is usually created by bacteria.

I suggest you get kombucha tea. They sell it in health food stores. It is rotten tea with moldy fungus. It is actually a bacteria that produces a lot of healthy stuff for us including B-12. Humans used to get more B-12 when our diet had more bacteria in it. The funny thing is many people do not get enough of these 2 things and a lack of either can cause depression.

Also you need to get enough of vitamin D. There are no good food sources of it. This site has more on getting it from sunlight and a link to a site that talks about sunlight called 5 WAYS TO GET CANCER. Also it tells about green drinks which are great supplements.

Superior Nutrition for Optimum Health

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
gingko, I get my vitamin D, B12, and calcium from Silk fortified soy milk, which is vegan and comes in different flavors. I use the plain flavor with extra DHA omega-3 on my cereal (along with ground flax seeds). I also drink the vanilla and chocolate flavors. So I end up getting 2-4 servings per day, which is more than enough to get the necessary vitamins and minerals.

kpickell, I'm surprised that you said you don't think whole flax is cheaper than ground. I think the ground that I buy is around $9 for 2 pounds, while the whole seeds at my supermarket were only $1.50 per pound, I think. I need to see how much a grinder costs, as I'll probably save money pretty fast that way.

--Fromper

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Once again, I'll recommend the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. It'll help you analyze your nutritional needs.
Haha, yeah. That was the first book I got. I've been reading it off and on for the past month (Oh God, it's probably overdue now) but it's a lot to take in.

I got the milled flax seed. So far I just add it to my cereal and sandwiches. I went to a vitamin store today and the lady there told me to start off just having one tablespoon and build my way up to having two. She also said to have it before dinner to curb my appetite or something, which is probably a good idea XD

I got a multivitamin that has the B vitamins in it, and also has just 10mg of iron...(I want to wait a few months and get a blood test and then see how my iron is) I also bought a separate B vitamin supplement that has all the B's in it. It was 50mg, or...yeah. She this way I'd retain more since most of it comes out in your urine.

And they're both veggie friendly =D

I also drink soy milk that has been fortified, so I think I'm covering most of what I need...hmm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I "grind" flax seed in my blender using the pulse function. It seems to work ok. I do a day or two-worth at a time and store in a refrigerated covered plastic container. So if you want to save money, and have a blender, you might be able to use whole flax seeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.