VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm not a "strict" vegetarian yet, but I'm on my way. Doing it for the healthful benefits & nothing really politically motivated. I'm 33 & have had high blood pressure but refused to go on meds, so I took fish oil & I've gone from being checked in December being 145/95 to 122/82 a week ago. The meals here are MEAT and STARCH! THat's IT! SO, I'm trying to lose 20 pounds. I'm not obese or visibly overweight, but the measurements the navy uses for body fat %age puts me 3% over the limit & 21 lbs overweight. I have an athletic build, but them'z the standards...

For health purposes I'm slowly going veg. I've cut meat DRASTICALLY, and I'm increasing leafy greens & fruit intake as well as whole grain. Just shopped at Whole Foods today, spent $150 and I didn't get too much! This veg. thing is going to hurt the wallet I think, but I think organic is the way to go because I heard that Strict vegetarians are affected MORE by pesticides & chemicals used in veggie farming. Meat somehow offsets that. I dunno, I'm no Phd in veggie matters yet, but I've cracked the books open & I'm spongeing up good info, so I'm off to a good start.

Things I've started off with are bok choy, kale salad greens, buckwheat noodles, beans, nuts, etc. I DO have fish, (giving up seafood is asking the impossible, LOL!) I can give up the grill & BBQ, that's alright because there's substitutes. Anyhow, I'm going to be checking out the bells & whistles of this forum & engage in as many conversations as I can due to being extremely inquisitive as to how people do it without feeling the pinch. Glad to be aboard! Right now I'm not STRICTLY veg, but pretty soon, I'll be on my way to being corn-fed & chowdah bred....lol

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Congratulations! And welcome to VB.

Oh, and just so you know, while this board is totally open to people who are working on becoming vegetarian, if you plan to continue to eat animals no-matter-what, this isn't going to be the place for you. Whether they make their homes on land or in the sea, animals are animals. And vegetarians don't eat animals. So if you do plan to become a vegetarian, rock on! But if you plan to continue to eat animals, and thus plan to remain an omnivore, well... Fair warning - the mods will hafta boot you.

Btw... you get a thumbs up for saying "chowdah" simply because I'm from Massachusetts and you bet your ass that's how we say it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THis is my diet & my health, not anyone elses & I didn't come here really to earn stripes or seek approval, but maybe try to learn more & maybe get some recipes......so far all I've learned is the vegan recruiting station is open 24/7 & I'll be booted for eating fishsticks & tuna burgers....

I've really been nothing but judged since I made my profile & I'm thinking I made a mistake in coming here.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1977 View Post

THis is my diet & my health, not anyone elses & I didn't come here really to earn stripes or seek approval, but maybe try to learn more & maybe get some recipes......so far all I've learned is the vegan recruiting station is open 24/7 & I'll be booted for eating fishsticks & tuna burgers....

I've really been nothing but judged since I made my profile & I'm thinking I made a mistake in coming here.
Eh... If you were kicked out then it would be because this is not a vegetarian forum, but a forum for vegetarians, which is a difference. It states in the board rules (which you agreed to adhering to when you signed up) that there are plenty of boards for people who eat animals elsewhere, but not here.

I was actually going to give you a warm welcome, but seeing that I'm a brain-washing vegan, I'm not sure you want it. (If you do, here it is: good on you for making an effort, and I hope you'll take that last step too!)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

I was actually going to give you a warm welcome, but seeing that I'm a brain-washing vegan, I'm not sure you want it. (If you do, here it is: good on you for making an effort, and I hope you'll take that last step too!)
I suppose you'd have to be in my shoes. Anyway, if that's how it is here, then it's not for me. Not sure what the difference between a vegetarian forum & a forum for vegetarians would be......It's kinda like having an American Embassy & an Embassy for Americans. Mox Nix? ANyway, take care.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Fish isn't vegetarian. You will not be welcomed if you plan to continue eating it.

The following definitions:

1) vegetarian- eats NO meat (that includes fish, all sea animals and generally insects and by products like gelatine). Lacto-veg eats dairy, ovo-veg eats egg, on this site vegetarian is generally taken to mean lacto-ovo vegetarian I.e eats eggs and dairy but no meat.

2) strict vegetarian- eats no eggs or dairy

3) vegan- a lifestyle extending beyond food. Uses no animal products as far as possible.

All three are welcome here. If you are transitioning to lacto-ovo vegetarian you will be welcomed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

I suppose you'd have to be in my shoes. Anyway, if that's how it is here, then it's not for me. Not sure what the difference between a vegetarian forum & a forum for vegetarians would be......It's kinda like having an American Embassy & an Embassy for Americans. Mox Nix? ANyway, take care.
Yes, there is a profound difference. Vegetarianism is for most people on here a highly emotional subject, seeing that it's so closely linked with our morals. If it's a board about vegetarianism, there's also the possibility for omnis to come and start debating why it's okay to eat meat, there can be talk of "which vegetarian recipes would you recommend as a side for this venison dish", stuff like that. We don't want debates over the yes or no of vegetarianism. There's plenty of places for that. This is a place where veg*ns can discuss and be in peace without having to defend themselves for their choices every day.

I'm sorry you feel bad here, but it's made very clear in the board rule that you must be veg*n or intend to become veg*n to be a member here. If it's the rule that bothers you, this is not the right forum for you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:

Well, I guess I kinda don't blame ya since I think you tried to make it pretty clear that you are transitioning to a vegetarian diet. You still include some fish now, but you're transitioning which, to my understanding, is not a violation of forum rules.

Sorry for the unwarm welcome.

·
Registered
344 Posts
By the way, vegweb.com is a good place for recipes. It's a vegan site, but you can always sub with dairy and eggs if you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts