VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be hitting the road for about 11 months on a new job, rotating hotels and cities on a weekly basis. i am not sure what kind of places i will be living in (the company will be taking care of me, so i wont even really have a choice) but im not sure if ill have access to a real fridge or cook ware for quite some time.

has anyone had any similar experience, who could also recommend to me some precautions?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, that sounds like an unusual work experience. It will be even more diffciult as a veg*an I am sure. But what is everyone else doing?

Do you/everyone get lunch or dinner supplied by the hotel or company on a daily basis? If so, you may be able to special order dishes without the meat/dairy.

In the case that you are completely on your own, I would suggest maybe researchign a list of veg friendly restaraunts in the various cities or towns you will be staying in (assuming you know some or all of these in advance).

A good a site for tracking down veg friendly places to eat is www.happycow.net

They have links to places all over the world, not just North America even.

That's a tricky situation, but that the best advice I can come up with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Oooh. Sounds like this will be an exciting and interesting job- although food may be a little more challenging. I think research will definintely help you out. If you know which cities ahead of time, you should check out their vegetarian societies if they happen to have them (I think most cities would).

You may have to find a grocery store first thing when you arrive, even if you won't have access to a kitchen. You can always do things like getting fruit and veggies that don't need a fridge, and some hummus and pita, soymilk in those juicebox size asceptic boxes that don't need refrigeration, cereal, granola, instant oatmeal, nuts, rice crackers etc.

I think if you have breakfast/snacky items in your room, you should be ok.

If you are lacto-ovo, I don't think it'll be too bad. Being vegan would be more challenging, but also do-able.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In additon to keeping plenty of healthy food that doesn't require refrigeration around, perhaps you could bring a cooler with you. Then you can keep some perishable items, too. A soft-sided one that you could collapse for packing might be pretty handy. A crockpot might be a good thing to take as well. Not as conveniant for packing, but it would be nice to be able to cook occasionally.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have had to travel through work a few times and it has been a challenge at times. I try to eat mostly vegan, but there are parts of the U.S. where I swear that word doesn't even exist.

Will you have access to a car when you travel? If you do, then your life just got a lot easier, because you can just search on the web for restaurants. I have found a ton of cool places just by googling "<cityname> vegetarian restaurants."

Also, bring with you the following at a minimum: a bowl, a spoon, and a can opener. In a bind, you can always hit a grocery store and find things to eat that don't need cooking. In your situation I would also eat breakfast in my room most the time, since I normally just eat cereal anyways. You can easily throw some soy milk on ice overnight.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I tend to travel a lot but when I'm on the road, I shoot for something I call "surface vegan". That means that my food might only look vegan, but might not really be vegan because of ______. I don't ask too many questions of the waitstaffer (one or two is my max) but more often than not, I'll try to find something on the menu that "vegan" with a few VERY minor tweaks.

American style buffets are usually the worst places to try to find food while ethnic places (Indian, Chinese, Mexican, etc) are often a bit easier. Places that serve all-day breakfasts are good, too because you can get a veggie omelet without the eggs/cheese and if they offer fruit, you can either get that in place of the hash browns or, on the side. I often get fruit on the side because I'm usually THAT hungry. Anything with a goodly sized salad bar is also a good spot for me because I can get in a decent amount of fruits/veggies without too many hassles (and believe me, if you're traveling for business, you want things as hassle-free as you can get them).

At hotels that has free continental breakfast, I try to go for fruit and whatever cereal I can find that's vegan. Often, they don't have soymilk on hand so I'll either eat the thing dry or use my own rice/soy milks that I get in the smaller aseptic packs. If they offer oatmeal, I'll always eat that dry but that's usually because I hate oatmeal that's been cooked (yep, I'm really odd that way
).

You might be able to bring your own food along, but be warned - not every hotel has a microwave/coffeemaker in it, and not every restaurant is keen on heating up a quickie meal for you so you can dine on Simply Asia while everyone else is dining on "simply disgusting".
If you're traveling by car, there are hot boxes and quick-heat teapots that run off the cigarette lighter which might be something you might want to check into (you might be able to order them online, but you can also check truck stop stores for them, too).

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Indispensable to me when I travel is the Co-op Directory Service, which will help you find a natural foods co-op just about anywhere:

Co-op Directory Service

Many of these places have cafes or some other carry-out kind of food, or of course there are plenty of pretty much ready-to-eat processed foods available, too. Best of luck, and safe traveling. Sounds like it could be fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the assistance everyone, i will investigate each of these more fully when ive some down time. ive also considered buying a juicer to take with me so i can liquify vegetables and fruits. does this sound like a reasonable way to quickly get my energy? i also have some tupperware to take nuts and other little things from place to place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.