VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday the kids in my class wanted to step on some ants that hang out by the window. i see this all the time. i can't imagine it's instinctual, but perhaps when they see the disdain people have for insects, the fear others express, and see their parents kill bugs, they think it's encouraged.

i explained there is a lot we as humans cannot see, don't know. below the ground somewhere i told them, is an ant colony. we don't know what role these particular ants have in that colony but they probably do play a role. i told them that since they pose no threat to us, why not just let them be?

i also feel but did not add for fear of sounding religious and offending someone, that all living creatures, even the smallest bug, contains a life force. we cannot creat that, the thing which makes bugs crawl, or fly, move, eat, so why take away what we cannot give back?

i understand that if an insect is a threat to ones well being, then acting to keep out of harms way is necessary. but to kill bugs for sport is wrong to me. i catch bugs indoors and set them free outside. some may find that extreme. i just respect life.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I try my best to avoid stepping on ants/spiders/flies, etc when they're outside. After all, that's their home, and they're just doing their 'jobs'! When they're inside, I usually scoop them up and transport them out (though, when I do this in the winter, it might not really be much of a kindness). I don't really believe that insects suffer when they get squished (I get that from what people have told me--haven't done the research myself, sorry) but I just am not comfortable killing things if I have other options. I'm sure I've swatted at mosquitoes and killed them before, and I do bat at wasps and yellow jackets when they're in the house, trying to get them out the door, but I don't just randomly stomp on bugs.

Who was it that said (paraphrased): Teaching a child to spare an ant is as important to the child as it is to the ant.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
That's an awesome quote veggiewriter.

I do my best not to kill bugs. I put them outside whenever possible.

·
Banned
261 Posts
I agree with that, asha. I ALWAYS try my best not to hurt the bugs, inside or out. I'm always the one in class screamning not to kill the bee in the room while making up a paper cup quickly so I can catch it and let it out the window
(I've done that lotsa times). I don't see why people are so intent on killing bugs that aren't even bothering/hurting them! Like, once in one of my classes there was a moth caught in the blinds and a couple people were getting distracted by it. Someone raised their hand and asked the teacher if they could get up and kill it. The teacher said no, just pay attention, and he would kill the moth later...so when the bell rang I went by the curtain and waited a few seconds till the moth came near me, then put my hand over it and slid a sheet of paper between my hand and the window and let the moth free outside. Can you believe I got a detention for that?? It's especially shocking since just that class the teacher was going on and on how we need to respect life (I go to Catholic school). I guess that only applies to humans, of course?...!!

Cassie

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Can you believe I got a detention for that?? It's especially shocking since just that class the teacher was going on and on how we need to respect life

--------------------

YOU have to be joking! What an utter joke that detention was then ..... that's really pathetic!

I don't understand people whose first reaction is to kill a puny powerless creature just because it's there. It only takes 5 seconds to catch and let go.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I hope, vegancherriepie, that you and your parents contested that detention! I would've been so angry! Sad, that in this day and age anyone would consider something as innocent and compassionate as letting a moth out to be 'unruly.' Especially if you waited until after class to do so! Don't they have some gum-chewing, gang-banging hoodlums to send to the principal's office or something??

And, you know, I'm trying to find the author to that quote, but I can't find it (I'd copied it down on some scratch paper, but who knows where it went!).

·
Banned
261 Posts
Yeah, you should have seen the fuss I made when he told me I got a detention for that. Utterly unfair, but the teacher who gave me it think's he's God, or, at least, so holy and always correct that he's up there near him, so he didn't really care what I had to say. Oh well, I usually procrastinate to do homework till it's really late so I was kind of thankful I got an hour where I was made to do it anyways...detentions don't upset me.

Cassie

·
Registered
219 Posts
The way I think of it comes from something my sister said... "all that little bug has is his life. That's it.. so why take it from him?"

I just feel like we don't have the right to decide if that bug should live or die from the force of our will, especially if they haven't done anything to us.

Another good quote about not hurting insects by Mark Twain:

"A true man neither steps on a worm nor triffles a king"

meaning that we are all equal, and the right thing to do is treat everything with the same respect.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
at my catholic school. detention consisted of sitting in a chair and staring forward (sitting in a particular way too, and i always sit in a lotus-like pose, no matter what), so it was a big waste of time.

i had a teacher who gave me detention for the most ridiculous reasons. made me crazy. i never went to detention. I would go straight to the principal's office, plop the detetion slip on her desk and tell her exactly what happened and why i refuse to go to detetion.

I got detetion at least every day for the most common offense "wrong place, wrong time"--one time i got it while waiting in the hall, after school, to meet with another teacher. She was in with another student at the time, and the teacher who always gave me detention said that i was eavesdropping on the other lesson, and that to be nice i should not hang around the room. I told her my meeting was next, and that i wouldn't know when to get there if i didn't pay attention to when this meeting was over. She gave me detention.

And that started the rebellion of zoebird against all punishments. Luckily, i always used the line: You really don't want me to go to my parents with this, right? because we'll just take it up with the school board, and if need be, the bishop.

(i was really "in" with the bishop because i did a lot of work with the poor in high school. he always saw me around, and i went to the cathedral, his pastorship/pastorate--and his right hand man heard my confessions--still does). Yes, never did go to detention.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i think other people would use words like stubborn, pain in the A$$, zealot, stuck up, B*tch, bossy, and numerous other explatives.

but i like to think i'm tough. lol!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi8kat

The way I think of it comes from something my sister said... "all that little bug has is his life. That's it.. so why take it from him?"
Such a true and simple statement... Yet, the thought has never crossed my mind. *sigh* We mortals are capable of so much, yet, so often we just can't grasp such simplicity.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Ants have a right to life....they cannot help that God created them as Ants. To me, their life is as precious as mine. When I see one....I trap it in a cup and set it free outside....I live with a meat eater and she HATES when I do this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I actually assisted in killing a mosquito (sp?) in my tent while I was on vacation. The person with whom I shared the tent wasn't eager to do it either - made for a hilarious situation: two veggies trying to kill a bug.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I noticed a group of fleas on the floor some time ago, so I shuffled them under a glass and put them outside..

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
ah, i've been killing bugs all week. They're in my territory, and i can't get rid of them. So, this week, i've killed about 50 flies with my bare hands (And washed those hands continually), and about 15 paper moths. I must need to set new traps.

Now, granted, if it's one or two, and they're not coming back or whatever, then i'm like fine, put it out. BUt in this case, it's just insanity. too many bugs--like an assault on my living space--so that's it! counter-attack zoebird the "fly huntress"!

which, btw, my lazy husband and good friend (also male) said is incredilby impressive to watch. I basicly stand around watching, waiting and then "snatch" and they're done. Heh.

bug killah!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I see a bugs life just the same as any other animals life

animals dont even kills bugs when bugs come into their territory so I dont see why humans do

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
animals and bugs do kill other creatures (usually other animals or other bugs) that threaten their territory. So do i--if i need too. If i can put them out, i will. if not, oh well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts