VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to one of my best friends last night. She recently learned about seal clubbing that's been going on and has recently started showing an interest in AR. She's an omnivore and an animal lover. I don't think she's planning on becoming a full-fledged sign-carrying activist, but she is concerned and wants to help fight for animal rights. She know's I'm vegan and into AR, so she asked me advice in how to get more involved.

I encouraged her to read up on the subject, read books, look at websites and talk to people on message boards. I warned her that when starts talking to activists, she'll probably take some heat for eating meat and that all activists are at least vegetarian.

She lives in Northern California (near San Francisco) and said that she prefers to eat meat from local farms, where (she says), animals have acres of land to roam and chew grass. She also said that most of the seafood supplied to her city comes from the SF bay. When she was younger, she lived on a farm in Oregon, where her family raised animals for meat (they were treated well before being killed) and she'd one day like to own her own farm so she know where the meat comes from and how the animals are treated before they're slaughtered.

I was wondering how other activists would think about this. My buddy doesn't seem to have a problem eating meat that's been humanely raised. What are your thoughts on a person who is into animal rights, but eats humanely-raised meat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I think it's wonderful that they're concerned with animal welfare, and I'd applaud them for every positive step they make. I wish more of my friends were like that.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think they're into animal welfare but not really into animal rights.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Average citizens have been essential to the success of virtually every large scale campaign on behalf of animals.

Whaling, cosmetic testing on animals, spay/neuter, pet theft, the sealskin trade, endangered species...there have been remarkable gains in these arenas in the US because everyday Americans were willing to speak up. Thus, we cannot afford to alienate the public, even if their values are not always consistent.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've known a lot of people who beleive in omnivore diets and care about animals. For some of them, that means concern about animals besides the ones raised for their omnivore diet.

For others, it means trying to support more humane sources of meat for their omnivore diets.I would say most of us are hypocrites on some level to some person.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

I was wondering how other activists would think about this. My buddy doesn't seem to have a problem eating meat that's been humanely raised. What are your thoughts on a person who is into animal rights, but eats humanely-raised meat?

Thanks.
If your friend is eating meat, she is not into animal rights. Animal welfare possibly, but definitely not rights.

I think it's important to tell people this. Many people do not understand Animal Rights language. They do not realise that exploitation of animals (even when the animal is "nicely treated" before it's killed or it's milk is stolen from it or whatever) and Animal Rights are not the same. Heck, they are not even on parallel paths but two different things altogether and the goal is not the same.

Animal Welfare = bigger cages

Animal Rights = no cages

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Yes, I would say she's into animal welfare, not rights. I think it's great though that she wants to get involved in more activism, and I'd encourage her. Who knows, the more she becomes educated through her activism, the more she might consider becoming veg*n...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.