VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am dreading xmas with my family. my hubby and i are the only veggies in my family. i get alot of crap for it.

while there have been huge steps forward, like my grandmother including veggie stuff for dinner(wich we are very thankful for). my dad who is normally open minded and respectful of my choices, he offers me [email protected] dishes even after i say no he still pushes for it. he has said "it wouldnt kill you to eat [email protected] just once" i dont want to get into the "but god made animals for us to use" debate. this dosnt happen every time we see them. i dont try to make anyone be veg*n or guilt trip or anything so why do they keep pushing me to eat animals?(my dad isnt the only one that does this, hes just the most recent)

does anyone else have this problem with their families? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Ahhh yes, the joys of holidays with the family. I am growing increasingly tired of the "but God made..." debate myself. I don't say anything openly about it, I just avoid certain dishes. Somehow, though, this is enough to spark a critique of my diet. I have nicely said, "I don't analyze every bite you take, could you please give me the same respect." That just sparked an even more intense situation. It does get frustrating... which is unfortunate at a time when you should be enjoying the company of family.

I have been told by my mom that she's guessed the main reason for some of the backlash is that my family feels "threatened." They saw that I made a change they considered impossible and unhealthy... and now I'm very happy and healthy. This challenges how they were raised and how they raise their families. Sad, but very possibly true.

I have the added joy of handling my first holiday with my (omni) boyfriend and his family. He's coming around, but I have no idea how the rest of them will be... its the first time I'll be meeting many of them. This should be an interesting weekend...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at least we dont have to have xmas with my inlaws. my SFIL will order calamari at resturants and dangle them in my face. i love my familly but this is almost enough to make me not want to spend time with them at all. good luck to you on your xmas with your BF and his family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Yes, I have this same problem and unfortunatly, I still live at home and have to deal with it all the time. My parents know I'm serious about my veganism now and try not to crack jokes, etc but it's my other family members such as my grandparents, uncles, aunts that I can't stand being with when food is around.

For example, my grandparents took my family on a cruise last xmas and one night my grandpa ordered duck for dinner (I have seven ducks by the way), and when his meal came he said something along the lines of "let me toast my dinner to Sarah's ducks." And of course everybody at the table started laughing. I was so mad I could have walked over to him and shoved the plate into his face but instead I ran off crying. It's extremely hard to spend time with family when they say/do things such as this and almost not even worth it to me.

Good luck to everyone spending the holidays with their omni families.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryDreamer View Post

Yes, I have this same problem and unfortunatly, I still live at home and have to deal with it all the time. My parents know I'm serious about my veganism now and try not to crack jokes, etc but it's my other family members such as my grandparents, uncles, aunts that I can't stand being with when food is around.

For example, my grandparents took my family on a cruise last xmas and one night my grandpa ordered duck for dinner (I have seven ducks by the way), and when his meal came he said something along the lines of "let me toast my dinner to Sarah's ducks." And of course everybody at the table started laughing. I was so mad I could have walked over to him and shoved the plate into his face but instead I ran off crying. It's extremely hard to spend time with family when they say/do things such as this and almost not even worth it to me.

Good luck to everyone spending the holidays with their omni families.
that comment about your ducks was awful. i would have cried too. it sounds like somthing my SFIL would do.

my MIL and SFIL were raising geese and a pig. one day we went to their house and they said they ate one of the geese and were complaining that he didnt provide much [email protected] i helped raise these geese.

the ILs also told us about the time they wanted to eat their turkey and how they had "trouble" killing him. they thought it was funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Gosh I feel so sorry for you that this happens to you at Christmas. My own family are very understanding even though my hubby and mum are both omnis. They both respect that I choose not to eat meat and dairy, and try to find things for me to eat. I hope the situation improves for you!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryDreamer View Post

and when his meal came he said something along the lines of "let me toast my dinner to Sarah's ducks."
That's just horrible! I don't think I would have had the restraint to keep that plate from his throat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
This is our first year being veg at the holidays. Luckily the worst I've gotten is "its already dead, its okay to eat it" or "it won't matter just this time" which I reply "that isn't really how it works". So far they haven't harped much further than the initial question. Thank goodness.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's bad experiences though. It would make me sick to hear people laughing about how it was hard to kill something. ::shudders::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

This is our first year being veg at the holidays. Luckily the worst I've gotten is "its already dead, its okay to eat it" or "it won't matter just this time" which I reply "that isn't really how it works". So far they haven't harped much further than the initial question. Thank goodness.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's bad experiences though. It would make me sick to hear people laughing about how it was hard to kill something. ::shudders::
hubby and i were really upset. especially since we helped raise the geese and pig. the pig, wilbur, was such a sweet little guy. he liked to sit in your lap. and follow you around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

hubby and i were really upset. especially since we helped raise the geese and pig. the pig, wilbur, was such a sweet little guy. he liked to sit in your lap. and follow you around.
I cannot even imagine how sad it must be to think about that as they eat.

Luckily in my family it is tradition for Christmas dinner to be meatless. Unfortunately fish is not considred "meat" for them.
Luckily my parents made delicious perogies that are filled with cabbage and mushroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
I'm having similar problems. My sister made a point of saying "I like [email protected]," after asking me if it bothered me if she ate it in front of her. Like it's not going to be eaten in front of me in the first place. Plus she needs to assert her "rights" to do this?

My mother appears more respectful, but after suggesting that I explain my "reasons" for being veggie to my father so he will understand that I *am* serious and he can stop asking me if I'd like "just a little bit," he tries to "refute" my arguments. Great. I didn't want a discussion in the first place, like there is any real discussion. After this my mother says "you know, we really do respect your choices." I feel like my mind is being *****ed with. I almost took off yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

I cannot even imagine how sad it must be to think about that as they eat.

Luckily in my family it is tradition for Christmas dinner to be meatless. Unfortunately fish is not considred "meat" for them.
Luckily my parents made delicious perogies that are filled with cabbage and mushroom.
i was really glad to have missed them actually eating him, i doubt i could have sat through that. but we heard all about it. those perogies sound yummy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
This is my first Christmas as a vegan, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised with how good my family has been about it. There have been one or two stereotypical "stupid things omnivores say" but mostly everyone has been graciously curious about it (which may have something to do with the fact that I've been cooking lots of yummy food for them). My mom even told me that "a small group of people like you who live the courage of your convictions are going to change the world". Yay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
My Christmas went relatively well but my sister-in-law cracked jokes about my eating (she thinks it's a faze, I can tell), and my dad kept offering me meat gravy, which I politely refused but I got the whole "it won't kill you..!" arguement.

This was my second vegetarian Christmas and I made a lentil loaf so I wouldn't have to just eat side dishes. However it was sick! Everyone hated it, including me
. My brother and his wife both made comments about how veggie food is "gross" and "weird" , and now Im sure they think it is unappetizing.


The worse part was sitting through the meal with a huge hunk of dead, RARE beef in the middle of the table with bloody juice, and fat all over it and the bones.. sick. And the comments made were horrific.. "look how it falls of the bone.. I don't even need a knife!" They were all ranting about how good it was and how they wanted to send a "thank you note to the butcher"! Omg. I wanted to cry it was so terrible, and I felt so out of place. Some times I wonder how they can do that.. especially my mom when she had just seen me looking at slaughter pictures the other night.. and I was crying ( she just walked in...
). ...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top