VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we need better methods of converting omnis to vegetarianism. We need vegetarianism to spread fast quickly to save those animals.

-Eric

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two ideas:

1. Go on the street with vegan outreach's Why Vegan? packet (www.whyvegan.org). Give the pamphlets out to little kids (but not too little though because they might cry and their parents will be like "those vegans!" so maybe like ages 7-11) because they are succeptible to advertising and they are emotional and they like animals. Also, they are willing to change and are willing to fight the world's wrongs. But we have to pretend we are normal people when we do this, so the omnis are like, "those vegans are a little nuts, but they're OK."

2. Anyone who you succesfully convert, tell them that they have to convert 3 other people too, and those 3 people have to convert 3 more people, like in Pay it Forward. That will help vegetarianism spread faster.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Further to this topic. . .

I know someone who has expressed a passing interest in becoming vegetarian. I don't know her that well, but I'm guessing her motivation is health. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd like to encourage her, but without being too pushy and putting her off the idea.

Can anyone offer advice or recommend beginner's literature I could pass on? I checked out the vegan outreach pack but it's aimed at becoming vegan and I think that might scare her off. Is there anything of a similar nature that deals mainly with vegetarianism? This is the first time I've been in this position and I don't want to get it wrong!

She doesn't have access to the 'net so I can't send her off to websites but I could print some bits out. I don't want it to seem overwhelming though.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
750 Posts
vegan outreach also makes a vegetarian pamphlet called 'vegetarian living'

well, it says vegetarian, but really they talk about veganism in it

but it doesnt have graphic pictures and really talks about a lot of different aspects of vegetarianism/veganism

http://veganoutreach.com/vegliving/

hope this helps

Caroline

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I was considering the idea of becoming a vegetarian, I actually read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Becoming Vegetarian. It was informative but not pushy at all and covered everything from how to reduce meat in your diet, pescatarianism, vegetarianism (all types) and veganism. It shows all the food pyramids and talks about tofu and tempeh and all the other things most people are unfamiliar with at first. I thought it was really a good starting point. After I read it (it was an easy read too) I thought "I can definitely do this!"

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think that the video version of Diet for a New America is a great way to get people started toward vegetarianism. It covers topics from health to environment to animals. It isn't in your face or preachy. I got my copy from Amazon.com and plan to loan it out to people.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I really enjoyed 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Becoming Vegetarian'.
It covered *everything*. I can't imagine any ethical/logical person reading this book and continuing to eat meat.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Let´s convert as much omnis as possible, but at the same time let´s try to reduce the amount of meat etc. each omni is eating. I´ll try to work this out mathematically.

·
Banned
261 Posts
How about a handout that has 4 pages, like page one would be: "Vegetarianism: Good For Your Health", page 2: "Vegetarianism: Good For the Animals", page 3: "Vegetarianism: Good For the Environment". And on each page there would be facts about what vegetarianism has to do with each. Then on page four would be an explanation of each type of vegetarianism, and resources to use if you're interested. And maybe somewhere in there about how vegetarian food isn't bland or boring and finding a vegetarian option at a restaurant isn't as daunting as you'd think these days, which seem to be a lot of people's worries. And then stand somewhere...like outside a mall or store or movie theatre and hand them out (wait...is that legal? I've never actually done leafletting before, except for elections and I don't know if they had gotten special permits or not.

Cassie

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This has been hard work. 200,000,000 people eat 100 kg meat or meatproducts per year, that makes 20,000,000 metric tons. If we only rely on people turning to veg*nism then the effect on overall consumption will only be of minor importance.

See VDB VB meat reduction LMK 24.07.03.doc

So we need the pollo-pesco-team, but only to convert as many of them as possible; I think this might be easier, because they´ve already come a step closer toward us.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Second idea:

I made a drawing: black is omni, white is veg*n.

To enlarge the white area, it will be easier, if there was a lighter shade of grey before.

Again: the pollo-pesco-team. As you see white doesn´t get grey in the process. Grey gets white.

To sum it up: "Great that you stopped eating beef, but why not stop devouring other animals too?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a shirt that says that! I mixed and matched letters from old patches and safety pinned them to my favorite baby tee.. plus Peta has some shirts that are very opinionated for sale.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think the important thing is to come across as a truely loving and caring group of people. i know we let off steam here about the moronic antics of omnis, but we really need to make some gentle appeals to emotion and present the facts so they're heartbreaking, not graphic. i live and work around omni's everyday, and believe me, the quickest way to convince them that you're "one of *those* people" is to descibe in detail the "meet your meat" video.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts