VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up...opened a fresh box of my Dorset Cereal (or supposed fresh) started munching, chewing and swallowing away...drinking my Lychee Juice...OMG!!! who told me to look in the box...I mean when I saw little critters crawling all over inside the box I totally Freaked Out.. I was like NNNOOOOO!!! WTH, WTF.... I felt my stomach cringe I had to run to the john immediately as I started hurling.

Question: Any of my fellow Vegan pals ever eaten bugs unknowingly?
How did it make you feel?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Not something I would do on purpose, but it happens.
If I'm boiling a soup or sauce on the stove, and a fruit fly tries to fly over the pot, it probably won't make it across. Just add some oregano so no one will notice the little dead fly on their spoon...I'm mostly joking...

I've dealt with two different species of weevils, and tossed many dried foods that were infested.
Plastic bags alone will not stop the little buggers.
Get yourself a few cases of canning jars, and transfer everything that's a dried grain/bean/flour into them.
If you have large amounts of dry goods, you can get some good affordable gallon sized food jars (FDA approved) from Uline.com

The magic weapon against weevils are bay leaves... especially if you will continue storing food in bags and boxes.
Buy a large bulk package of dried bay leaves, and drop a bay leaf or two into all your dried food packages... including cereal boxes, pancake mix, flour, cookies, crackers, pasta, etc... The food will not be altered in the slightest by the bay leaves, the leaves last a long time, and they are very effective against weevils.

My father taught me that little trick when I called him one day, fretting about throwing away bag after bag of dried beans.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
When I was a runner, I accidentally inhaled insects a few times. :x

I've never seen a weevil, will keep the bay leaf trick in mind if I ever do!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've never seen a weevil, the same sounds cute, but the idea horrifies me. I always look nervously into my flour, shudder, I'd freak out too!

Anyway there's nothing you can do about it now, it was a mistake, albiet a pretty nasty one (for you)!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I started to eat a box of raisins and didn't notice it was full of ants. I noticed the raisins were kind of crunchy and looked down at the box... Had a kind of sour flavor, from the formic acid, I imagine. Guess I got my B12 for the day!

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I had a box of cereal like that when I was a kid. But I didn't see the little critters until I got near the bottom of the box. Moral of the story: don't buy cereal from a small store that doesn't sell high volumes of cereal. It must have been sitting on the shelf for a year or two.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
There's not much you can do if the food is already infested in the store. You should tell them though. They are supposed to rotate stock and dispose of stuff past its sell by date so this doesn't happen.

Storing freshly purchased dry goods in the freezer for a few days will kill the eggs and keep them from hatching. Yes, unfortunately, the eggs are in there. There is no way of keeping them out. But at least you won't have them hatching into bugs. This works for the eggs of pantry moths too. The bay leaf is also a good idea to keep adults from invading your food and laying eggs in it.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
My family had to get food from the food pantry. Very often we accidently ate buggy foods since most of the food from the pantry had been expired for years. Nothing like being in elementary school and opening your lunch in front of classmates only to find it crawling with bugs.

(Oddly this experience has not totally traumatized me since I often purchase mark downed expired foods because they're cheaper).

I would definitely return the cereal to store though and also contact the cereal company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts