VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my doctor called to report that I am anemic and other things. They said I need to eat healthy eat things with iron in them and take good care of myself more. They never said anything about eating meat and I told them I was getting into healthier foods and getting into the vegetarian lifestyle they never said nothing.
But when I posted it on my facebook what the doctor said. Someone had a nerve to say that this is your body's way of reconsidering the semi or veg diet I am on that I should be eating meats and liver. I am like I never ate liver and I will never will be and there are other ways to get iron.
I told her that I had been anemic a few years ago while eating loads of meat. I am tired of people saying this to me.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
My sister is a meat eater and has suffered from anemia on and off for years. The doctor always tells her to eat more green leafy vegetables and beans. The anemic issues usually pop up when she relies more on junk food than real food.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Re. anemia - one thing you might do if you're not already is to cook everything - especially acidic foods like tomato sauce - in a cast iron pan -

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband likes to cook with the cast iron skillets. I rather have eggs or something simlier in a cast iron skillet it tastes better that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I take a iron sup that comes in liquid that also includes a multivitimin. I put it in my morning juice. I got it at wholefoods not sure of the name but I can get it for you if you like.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Looks like we might have to change your name to "madveglady"!

·
Banned
437 Posts
I sort of know what you mean....I try to avoid discussing any health issue I have with anyone, because most people just blame it on no meat. I don't even want to have the conversation

I hope you're feeling all right

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I sort of know what you mean....I try to avoid discussing any health issue I have with anyone, because most people just blame it on no meat. I don't even want to have the conversation

I hope you're feeling all right
Thanks and I will keep that in mind , this same person posted again that ugh liver is high in iron, I told her so is malt o meal hot cereal and other things. My husband is going to order me some Vegan type vitamins that has iron in them so not sure when we are able too because I order a few books already tonight.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
^Okay the whole liver thing grosses me out. Is liver a big part of the omnis' diets where you live??

I think there's a way to hide some of your posts from certain people on your friends list so they don't see every single comment you make. It might be easier to do that with the people that are harassing you about your vegetarianism.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^Okay the whole liver thing grosses me out. Is liver a big part of the omnis' diets where you live??

I think there's a way to hide some of your posts from certain people on your friends list so they don't see every single comment you make. It might be easier to do that with the people that are harassing you about your vegetarianism.
Yes thats a thought and this person don't live in the same state as me and across the country, so they don't live near me.
I am going to watch what I say about my health now on that facebook. . I agree I almost spewed earlier myself when she suggested it. I felt dizzy earlier and we were goin to have vegeterian chili tonight but I felt little dizzy so we ordered pizza, I had onions and green peppers on mine and withen an in 30 mins to an hour after I ate I started to feel better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Be careful with those vitimins they made me puke violently from the whole foods brand. The name of the stuff I take is called liquid iron, if you get it put it in a drink cuz it tastes gross you won't be able to taste it in a drink.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we picked up some meatless yves crumbles and they went down better then morningstars crumbles, I do have a tummyache but that is from me chocking on a spahgetti noodle. So I am making progress.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ugh, that's annoying. My sisters do something similar with a protein obsession. Every time I say I'm tired, they immediately pounce on me & tell me I need to eat more protein, etc. Do they listen when I tell them that I have more energy as a veg than I ever had as an omni?? Of course not.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes my dad said on the phone I needed more protien but he wasn't suggesting me like the other person did to me. He also said a shot of B 12 also LOL.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you take iron supplements you can increase the absorption of the iron by:

Take the iron with a vitamin C supplement or with juice high on vitamin C.
Do not take iron supplements with food, especially foods high in calcium as it inhibits absorption.
Do not take supplements with spinach as the oxalate will inhibit absorption.

I have chronic iron deficiency anemia, but it is much worse when I eat a typical omni diet and improves when I eat a healthy, whole foods based vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
vit c definately increases absorption of iron. Cooking in cast iron is also a freebie for increasing the availability and absorption of it too.

DON'T add iron to drinks or food though! use the dropper and place it in the back of the throat and swallow. It can cause irreversible staining of the teeth. You don't want to take a chance with that. Plus if you put it in the back of the tongue, you'll bypass most of the tastebuds

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

vit c definately increases absorption of iron. Cooking in cast iron is also a freebie for increasing the availability and absorption of it too.

DON'T add iron to drinks or food though! use the dropper and place it in the back of the throat and swallow. It can cause irreversible staining of the teeth. You don't want to take a chance with that. Plus if you put it in the back of the tongue, you'll bypass most of the tastebuds
Thanks I take the green iron tablets you get over the counter, I take it normally in the morning, with a piece of toast or something small. I need to take all tablets with something or I'll upchuck it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts