VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be careful! I bought an innocent bottle of extra virgin olive oil last week. I never read labels on bottles of oil, they are just pure oil, right?? Wrong. This one contained Omega oil from FISH. Disgraceful! Bread is also being tampered with now because there is an Omega craze going on in Britain, so be careful and read all labels, even on innocent vegetarian foods like extra virgin olive oil and bread. Grrrrrr!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
That's crazy!!! I just bought some yesterday... I'll have to check.

BTW- There's fish in some tropicana OJ's now... that totally belongs there right?!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's so wrong, isn't it. We try so hard to avoid meat and fish, and then they sneak it into foods where it does not belong! The most upsetting thing for me was that I had poured this extra virgin olive oil on my salad and was reading the jar whilst eating. I immediately spat it out, but thought I was going to cry. I was devastated, I haven't eaten fish for years! I threw the bottle straight in the bin and bought some pure, Italian extra virgin olive oil which hadn't been tampered with by some stupid omega craze. I never think to look for fish in such products, and now you are saying orange juice too.......? I could weep!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
theatregirl: in the EU extra virgin olive oil should only contain extra virgin olive oil, otherwise the oil has to be labelled differently. If it's a blend of oil it must say so like: Wonder Omega Oil - made with extra virgin olive oil and something like this. But I'm also disgusted that it's marketed like this!!! Try to get it exchanged or else call your consumer's agency.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yup, they're doing it in Australia too. In between that and the added calcium craze (which quite often comes from dairy stuff) there are SO many things on the shelves that are inedible

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The fish bread scares me.

I mean really

if you are THAT desperate to get your kids to get omega 3 give them a tuna sandwich or something instead of sneakng it in rolls!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, hey, people need their omega-3 oil, so it only makes sense to use fish, the most expensive source of it, right? ...right?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCola View Post

Well, hey, people need their omega-3 oil, so it only makes sense to use fish, the most expensive source of it, right? ...right?
I know, it's very dumb. What is so wrong with flaxseeds?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
yeah I saw the fish bread and was creeped out too. I like the adverts for it though actually

But the wierdest thing...I can't remember what brand or anything it was but there were these little lunchbox-type packages of orange juice drink with added omegas. Orange juice + fish oil =

1 - 12 of 12 Posts