VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You can also get omega 3s from hemp seeds, sesame seeds, tofu and other soy products. A lot of green leafy vegetables, and foods such as olive oil also contain a small amount of omega 3s, but I wouldn't depend solely on them for an adequate source.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm not sure how much is in various soy products, so even though I've heard there's some, I don't rely on it. I know Silk brand soy milk lists on the carton how much omega-3 is in each cup. It's nowhere near enough by itself, but it's good to know there's some in there, since I drink at least 2 cups a day.

I also take a tablespoon of flax seed oil most days, although I occasionally skip it if I know I've had a lot of walnuts and soy milk that day. I would take a flax pill as a supplement if I could find one that's not made with gelatin. Can anyone explain why they do that? If someone needs extra omega-3, and they're not vegetarian, wouldn't they just go for the fish oil? Who bothers with flaxseed oil in gelatin pills?

--Fromper

·
Registered
155 Posts
I cook a lot in mustard oil (yandilly brand which is probably australian) but apparantly it's quite a good source of Omega 3's and can be used in salad dressings etc too

·
Registered
333 Posts
I stopped eating fish well over 15 years ago and my brain still appears to be present. All I've been doing is eating walnuts, sesame and hemp seeds whenever I happened to feel like it and using canola. All the supplements seem to contain vitamin E, which is already in my multivitamin, and overdoing the fat soluble vitamins isn't a great idea...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

I cook a lot in mustard oil (yandilly brand which is probably australian) but apparantly it's quite a good source of Omega 3's and can be used in salad dressings etc too
Interesting, might have to look that up. How does it taste?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Vegan Essentials carries a DHA supplement that is derived from algae.

I eat ground flax seeds and walnuts. I occasionally eat wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, and hemp seeds, too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post

Interesting, might have to look that up. How does it taste?
I love it! It comes in a light one you can throw in salads and stuff and a stronger one for cooking. Mostly I cook my vege burgers in it and it gives them a really yummy flavour, actually anything I cook on my griddle pan gets done in it and it's yummy splashed on taties in the oven too! It's just the oil from mustard seeds, I thought it would be really hot (and if you put a bit straight on your tongue it is) but it's not when cooked. Here's the website so you can take a peek
http://www.yandilla.com/efa.htm

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I usually eat flax seeds, but right now I have hemp seeds, which taste great. But remember, some people have to take drug tests and they usually get positive thought you can't get high by the seeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts