VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My husband is going on about omega 3 and how babies IQ need it! He tells me I will hurt the fetus and don't care about the fetus if I don't eat fish or drink supplements, he research to death and he is very logcial. I fdeel sad and hurt. I would neber do something, when we fall pregnant to hurt my child, I also don't believe IQ is everything,

Any advice?

He doenst even eat fish himself

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Hi everyone

My husband is going on about omega 3 and how babies IQ need it! He tells me I will hurt the fetus and don't care about the fetus if I don't eat fish or drink supplements, he research to death and he is very logcial. I fdeel sad and hurt. I would neber do something, when we fall pregnant to hurt my child, I also don't believe IQ is everything,

Any advice?

He doenst even eat fish himself
My mother smoked, drank, and never ate fish when she was pregnant with me, because she hated it, and my IQ is in the top 2% of the population of my home state. Not saying you should smoke and drink. But fish is one of the foods pregnant women are warned against on account of mercury and PCBs. Just eat lots of walnuts and leafy greens, and cut back on the Omega 6 oils. The ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is what causes Omega 3 absorption problems. The ratio should be 1:4, and it is more like 1:16 in the modern diet.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Where do fish get omega's from? Algae! From what I understand, fish oil and algae have DHA, which is like more usable than omega 3 in thing like flax oil. I believe it's most important that you get the right balance of omega 3 and omega 6.
Deva -all vegan vitamins- has algael DHA, as well as pre-natals vitamins. Amazon has good prices-
http://www.amazon.com/DEVA-Vegan-Vit...9637716&sr=8-4

Congradulations, and good luck! Learn all you can, you'll be fending off a lot hard-headed people about your diet.

I recall someone posting a site featuring vegan kids but can't find it now. Here's good ones:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/v..._children.html
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/realveganchildren

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah take spirulina and eat chia seeds, ground flax, walnuts...etc regularly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

But fish is one of the foods pregnant women are warned against on account of mercury and PCBs.
This is a very salient point; probably dioxins as well. Being vegan protects us from the animal tissue fat-soluble organic toxicants like the polychlorinated hydrocarbons (PCBs, dioxins et al), methylmercury, and many others.

Walnuts, green-leaves like spinach and cos (romaine lettuce) and similar plant-sources of omega-3 should see you well supplied. There is a trend now to think that the ratio of n3:n6 is not as important as one's abolute intake of n3.

Vegan (algae) supplements make a good backup of long chain n3.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Omega 3 is hardly exclusive to fish, nor is it even the healthiest or most potent source overall.

There's some pretty good guides to vegan pregnancy online. I'm fond of this one in particular, but I've never been a pregnant woman nor am I likely ever to be one for a variety of biological reasons, so I can't vouch for it on a first hand basis. Still I trust the information and the source.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Your husband is right that infants need more fats than adults and in particular they need omega 3s. The formula that I fed my son when was an infant had plenty of omega 3. But it was soy formula and the omega 3s came from a plant source. You don't need to eat fishes or take fish oil. You just need some flax seed (or othe plant based omega 3).

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Do you need to worry about mercury in algae, or sea vegetables? I've never heard that, but don't know why not.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Do you need to worry about mercury in algae, or sea vegetables? I've never heard that, but don't know why not.
No. The heavy metals accumulate in animal flesh not in plants.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I really do believe there is always a vegetarian alternative out there.

I am not pregnant yet but great to know.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
just a heads up, if you are going to be trying to get pregnant soon, make sure you are getting enough folate in your diet. That's really important before you get pregnant. Your dr may even want to start you on prenatal vitamins before hand too, which may not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folate is that folic acid Photojess? the plan is to only fall pregnant end of year or next.
I am however taking biostrath which is a complete vitamine, mineral and amino acid supplement. works wonders.

The problem is we dont know exactly when we want to start with a family.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If he ever starts bugging you about pre-pregnancy and pregnancy nutrition, you can always quip that recent studies have shown that the father's diet can also affect conception and future heath of the fetus! I can't find the link right now, but it was featured on Jezebel a while back.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Folate is that folic acid Photojess? the plan is to only fall pregnant end of year or next.
I am however taking biostrath which is a complete vitamine, mineral and amino acid supplement. works wonders.

The problem is we dont know exactly when we want to start with a family.
I'm not an expert but, from what I've read, folic acid can significantly increase a woman's chance of developing breast cancer and, for men, a very significant chance of developing prostate cancer. There have also been studies that show folic acid can lead to childhood asthma. Folate is a naturally occurring vitamin that's present in leafy green veggies, citrus fruits and dried beans and that's really the safest way of absorbing the stuff.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

I'm not an expert but, from what I've read, folic acid can significantly increase a woman's chance of developing breast cancer and, for men, a very significant chance of developing prostate cancer. There have also been studies that show folic acid can lead to childhood asthma. Folate is a naturally occurring vitamin that's present in leafy green veggies, citrus fruits and dried beans and that's really the safest way of absorbing the stuff.
wow, I hadn't read any of that, but yes, the folate is in the natural foods.....I believe all of our OBs around here still prescribe the folic acid though...will need to look into that now that you mention it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

wow, I hadn't read any of that, but yes, the folate is in the natural foods.....I believe all of our OBs around here still prescribe the folic acid though...will need to look into that now that you mention it.
Jess, here's just a few links about the folic acid :

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/conte...6/432.abstract

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/101/6/363.full

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroen...lonCancer/5869

I'm also copying and pasting some studies, many of which can be accessed online. I'd just link to some of the articles that referenced them however I don't think you'd be able to access the site since membership is required. :

Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ et al. Folate intake, alcohol use, and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Apr;83(4):895-904.

Figueiredo JC et al. Folic acid and risk of prostate cancer: results from a randomized clinical trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009 Mar 18;101(6):432-5. Epub 2009 Mar 10.

Fife, J et al. Folic Acid Supplementation and Colorectal Cancer Risk; A Meta-analysis. Colorectal Dis. 2009 Oct 27. [Epub ahead of print]

Haberg SE, London SJ, Stigum H, Nafstad P, Nystad W. Folic acid supplements in pregnancy and early childhood respiratory health. Arch Dis Child. 2009 Mar;94(3):180-4. Epub 2008 Dec 3.

Ebbing M et al. Cancer Incidence and Mortality After Treatment With Folic Acid and Vitamin B12. JAMA. 2009;302(19):2119-2126.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
are they from pubmed? I used to have a log in....I'd probably have to request a new one or reminders

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

are they from pubmed? I used to have a log in....I'd probably have to request a new one or reminders
I read them originally at the Dr. Fuhrman membership site. He's written a few articles about folic acid, citing the studies I listed in addition to several more as the basis for his opinion. I had also read some similar findings on another site but I can't atm recall which one.

Here's is a link to a website that summed up what Dr. Fuhrman wrote and provides additional studies as references :

http://www.alternativeratreatments.c...t-dangers.html

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I buy Linwoods brand flax meal and according to their website--2 dessert spoons a day of their flax meal=5 portions of fish a week in terms of omega 3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts