VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is vegetarian, and is being pressured to take fish oil (in pill form) by his psychiatrist. He's being treated for depression and OCD, and his doctor told him that he can't stop taking his anti-depressants until he starts taking fish oil, because of the omega-3 fatty acids. The doctor is aware that he's a vegetarian, but still insists. Does this seem logical to anyone? Is there another way to get omega-3 fatty acids? They've tried flax seed oil, and it didn't have whatever results the psychiatrist is looking for.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Granted this is a vegetarian site (meaning, could be slanted), but:<br><br><a href="http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Omega3.htm" target="_blank">http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Omega3.htm</a><br><br><br><br>
Interesting part in it:<br><br>
Animal fats are generally very poor sources of both Omega-3 .... Fish oils....promoted as rich sources of Omega-3 but they contain only about half that of flax seed oil....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish oil does have a lot and some people do absorb it better from fish oil then flaxseed or walnuts. I don't absorb iron from fortified foods or supplements (even though I still take them, just in case). Some people do not absorb B-12 from supplements.<br><br><br><br>
His doctor is trying to do what is best for your friend's mental health. They tried the vegetarian option and it didn't work for him. Really, I see taking these pills no different then the vegetarians who have to take medications that come in gel caps.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I've also seen some other sites that have psychological studies where fish oil was used to see if it helps depression (fish eating societies have lower cases).<br><br><br><br>
Another site said it takes 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil to = 1 tablespoon of fish oil - maybe he wasn't taking enough of the oil.<br><br><br><br>
Unfortunetely there's always the possibility that the psychologist is trying to force him to abandon vegetarianism because they don't agree with it (sad, but possible).<br><br><br><br>
Of course there's also the possibility that by taking the fish oil your friend will go into depression <i>because</i> he's "abandoning" vegetarianism by taking the pills to "cure" the depression.<br><br><br><br>
However:<br><br>
Given everything, the psychologist should be doing what's in the best interest of the patient, and I'd think be trusted in opinion. Meaning, that if the fish oil is the last option, it may have to be done, but only if your friend doesn't have an allergy to seafood. If so, it might not an option regardless.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
DHA is found in fish oil, but flax seed does not have it. For depression, I take flax oil for the omega 3's, and a vegan DHA supplement that can be purchased from veganessentials.com. Fish ingest DHA by eating algae, so therefore eating fish or fish oil will give you some DHA. I take DHA straight from the algae. The one from vegan essentials is in a veggie cap. The only veg source of DHA I have found in the health food stores they ruin by putting in a gelatin cap. The DHA is a bit costly, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts