VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
There are other sources of vegetarian omega-3 in foods but flaxseed is by far the best. I say that because not only is it an excellent source of omega-3, it doesn't have a lot of omega-6 which is a very good thing. Most vegetarians and especially vegans consume too much omega-6. By "best" I mean that flaxseeds are the best for most people, but some people's bodies don't perform necessary conversions so they need to take other sources of omega-3.

There are 3 types of omega-3 I know of: DHA, EPA and LNA. The omega-3 in flaxseed and most other vegetarian sources is LNA. Our bodies need to convert the LNA to EPA and DHA. Both EPA and DHA are important but our bodies don't perform the convertion efficiently under certain curcumstances. One advantage of fish oil is it has EPA and DHA in it so we don't have to rely on the conversion. It's a direct source of EPA and DHA.

Well the good news is that there is now a vegetarian source of DHA. There are DHA supplements from microalgae. I've also seen EPA supplements from microalgae but all the ones I've seen were in gelatine capsules. I'm sure this will change eventually. And, our bodies can also convert DHA to EPA. So, people that can't efficiently perform the conversion of LNA to EPA and DHA now have a vegetarian option. They don't need to take fish oil.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.