VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Their minestrone, you know the one that says "Vegetarian Classic" ISN'T. I got ready to order it and just asked on a whim to make sure it was vegetarian. The waitress said "no". My husband said "So it isn't made with tomato broth?" She said "yes but she wanted me to know that they also include chicken broth."

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I was told by their manager that their pasta contains no egg, then later I was told that it DID contain egg.

I don't eat there anymore.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rrrgh. I've eaten their minestrone, happy that there was some vegetarian soup! Bah. Anyone know if their breadsticks are vegan?? Im thinking no, just wanna check though.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I've never ate at Olive Garden before, but this is especially frustrating because it's a place that can very easily offer plenty of vegan foods.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think their breadsticks have a butter and garlic coating - at least they taste that way anyway. I don't know if I'd trust asking for them without it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I used to love eating at Olive Garden because of all of the so-called "veg-friendly" food, but alas, I won't be eating there anymore.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If I remember correctly, even the Italian dressing on their salad isn't vegan. I went there for my friend's bridal shower and all I could eat was salad without dressing (I brought my own dressing). I was told the pasta was made with egg....who would notice the difference if it wasn't?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you still want to eat there, just ask for salad without dressing and that vinegar & oil be brought instead. Croutons are not vegan either. They will make plain breadsticks for you if you ask...

·
Registered
18 Posts
From the FAQs on the Olive Garden website:

Which menu selections are vegetarian?

A few of our menu items can be adjusted to accommodate a vegan or vegetarian diet, but none wholly meet the criteria. Depending on your personal philosophy, we can suggest the following items as meatless, but not necessarily vegetarian or vegan:

Minestrone soup (vegetable and mushroom base; no meat protein)

Garden Salad (without dressing)

Marinara Sauce (mushroom base; no meat protein)

Capellini Promodoro

Eggplant Parmigiana

Fettuccine Alfredo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Dia7

I hope this is true but I still won't be able to enjoy it. The thought will always be that there is chicken in it. I swear I wish I hadn't asked the waitress!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Olive Garden is such a crappy restaurant to begin with that none of this info is really surprising. The quality of their food was always shoddy, but during the past three or four years they've reached new lows.

I was "forced" to eat there a few weeks ago with my mother. She ordered eggplant parmigana. There, literally, was no eggplant in the dish, just thinly slices of breading covered in sauce and cheese. It was extremely disgusting.

BTW, I ordered a cheeseless pizza with artichoke hearts. Breadstick dough (without garlic goo), marinara sauce and hearts. So that's a vegan option for those who must eat in that god forsaken hole.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Has anyone ever had the ravioli portabella? It's in a cheese sauce, but I got it before and was so paranoid there was meat stuffed in there with the mushrooms. I kept staring at it and wondering.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:

Capellini Promodoro
i've only been to olive garden once since i went veg*n but i ordered that dish and it was yummy.

don't they also have a bean soup? i forget exactly, and maybe this was too long ago, but i remember there being a vegetarian bean soup..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:

Maybe it varies from resturant to resturant. I've been there repeatedly since becoming veg and each waitor/waitress that I have asked about the minestrone has said that it does contain some animal broth.

Every time I've had to resort to a side salad with oil and vinigar

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
it does vary from restaurant to restaurant. the best thing to do is ask the management of a particular olive garden if their versions of thos emeals are vegetarian.

ie, ask about chicken stock, butter (the breadsticks, even with the garlic stuff, are vegan at the olive garden that i go to), cheese, etc. find out how they make what they make.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts