VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat is 13 years old and yesterday she did something she was quite embarrassed about and I was a little surprised at - she peed right outside her litter box! I didn't catch her doing it, so I don't know what happened exactly. I'm guessing she couldn't make it in in time. Has anyone else had anything similar happen with their cats? I'm thinking it's probably just her age.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That happens to us all the time now that she's older. Most of the time though, she doesn't realize it and pees out of the litterbox when she sits inside (like she doesn't put her but down low enough), so now we have a litterbox with slightly higher walls. When she peed acutally outside of the box she usually has a reason, such as a really bad smelling litterbox or just plain "overloaded" litterbox, etc. If it happens more often, then it's probably not that "she didn't make it in time", but she probably has a good reason then. Sometimes cat's are so complex.... and so difficult, lol. If it happens again, try using different litter, or try putting the box in a different room. At my dad's he actually has a little cat-door so the cat can go out whenever she likes and then she does her "business" outside.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thirteen isn't all that old, as far as making it to the litterbox is concerned (for a healthy cat, that is). You should keep an eye on her--if she pees outside the litterbox again, take her to the vet. She may be having a urinary tract problem. The incidence of that definitely increases with age. Also, if she seems to be visiting the litterbox more frequently than usual, or if she's peeing just a little bit each time, take her to the vet.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I agree with mouse. If you haven't taken her to the vet in a while, it would be a good idea to have her checked out, anyway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's just been to a vet a couple months ago. She was acting strangely one day (hiding under a bed and hissing at everyone) so she had complete bloodwork done and the vet said she was perfectly fine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
sometimes cats get this tihng where it like hurts to pee so they try to hold it in as long as they can but when they cant hold it in anymore they sometimes cant make it to the litter box in time<br><br>
but<br><br>
if you has taken her to the vet then maybe its somehting else<br><br>
maybe her eyesight is getting bad<br><br>
i hope she gets better tho !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts