VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just poking around these boards today for the first time (when I should be working), thought I'd intro here, anyway...

My name's Lisa. Been veggie for about 12 years, am raising my two kids (7 and 9) veggie. I have been veg so long that I no longer even think about it, really, but am occasionally befuddled when the kids bring up certain issues. My daughter (the 9 year old) thinks it's just awful to eat animals, but I think she is starting to feel a little sad about having this difference from her friends. My son seems pretty indifferent about the whole thing. I just posted a bit ago on the family forum about the 9 year old's smelly armpits.

Anyway, I mostly hang out on a runners forum, but I hope to visit here every now and then. I'm always looking for ways to make meals easier... I really like to cook, but with work, running, and the kid's afterschool activities, there are lots of nights when it's 8:00 and no one has any ideas about dinner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Lisa!
Since you're a runner, you should check out the "hampster" thread in the healthy living forum. It would probably be right up your alley!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lisa, nice to "meet" you
I, too, have a nine year old who is vegetarian. I am vegan. I ran into some of the same stuff with my son. He will have nothing to do with meat, but when he is with other children (at birthdays, celebrations, halloween, christmas, etc.) he cries (or used to) about not being to have the cake , cookies, pizza, etc. He says some children would make fun of him because he did not get any goodies. So, when I can, I try to send him with something he can eat & share (although, what vegan, organic thing could I get that is as pleasing to a child's eye as one of those nasty, bright colored, "plastic" cakes?). Or, I let him have some.... I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I don't want him to resent me or his vegetarianism or traumatize him with endless situations where everyone is chowing on goodies while he nibbles a carrot stick. On the other hand, I don't want that crap going into his little body!!! Any thoughts???

I also have the same meal issues (busy days, late dinners, no ideas, don't feel like cooking....) Here are some things I do:

1. I make it FASTING NIGHT....hehehe
(kidding)

2. I bought a nice rice cooker and wok. I keep rice made and throw whatever is readily available in the wok (veggies, potatoes, beans, always fresh spinach, spices, Bragg's, etc). I then have a quick meal that kinda cooks itself and there are leftovers for any other day of the week when we have a late night or I don't feel like cooking.

3. This, for me, is where the veggie meats come in handy. I make "meatball" subs or throw some veggie patties in the micro, steam some veggies and use rice or microwave yams. Meal is done in like 10 minutes and is great!!

Anyhow, I feel ya, sister!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can always throw veggies into a pot, add water just enough to cover them, cover pot, cook until veggies are soft, puree with tofu or cream cheese to make cream of veggie soup. Put out some bread and voila, quick meal that cooked while you did other things.

Other things to do, double up the base of what you are making (i.e beans, rice, potatoes) keep the extra covered in the fridge for using in another meal. When you chop up veggies, chop up extra and keep them for the next meal(s)

I crock pot a lot of bean dishes and soups, I hate the title, but I am truly a "soccer mom" having 4 kids in the sport, so I have found the crock pot to be a lifesaver. I can start that puppy up before things get nutso, and have a hot meal ready when things get sane (relatively) again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions!

Flower, thanks for the hamster thread suggestion. I will poke around there next week. We're about to head out of town for the holiday weekend!

Michael... Fortunately she already does think it's pretty cool to be different, most of the time anyway. But she doesn't have much choice... our family is pretty different!

aksjg... Love your fasting night idea! It wouldn't go over well but it'd be hilarious! Fortunately my husband cook often too, otherwise I'd go nuts having meals always be my responsibility. But since I work at a home office and he works at an away office, it makes more sense for me to get food happening during the day. I could use a rice cooker... I do use a crockpot pretty frequently. I definitely hear you about birthday parties. I let my children eat that gross plasticy cake when they are offered it (yuck... I make cakes at home from scratch for birthdays, but we are not vegan). I'm also really grossed out about soda, but the kids know that I will NEVER buy it at home but that they are allowed one or two glasses at a party. I kind of figure this will let them be like other kids only for special occasions. So far I think it's working--they never ask for junk at home. I agree--I don't want all that fake stuff in their little bodies. It's hard, though, when they see pretty much everyone around them (friends, grandparents, neighbors) relying on fast food and prepackaged food, candy, soda, etc.

That Alpaca Guy... love your name, and am curious about it. Thanks for the welcome!

Motherofmany... I will have to try your cream of veggie soup idea. Sounds great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts