VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet in St. Louis has set aside room to take in animals and try to adopt them out. A couple of months ago, one of the rescues my vet works with pulled a pregnant dog from a local shelter. As some of you may know, pregnant dogs are often quickly put down, before they can give birth, because once a litter is born, it really strains the resources of already overcrowded shelters.

This dog is approximately ten and has been bred nonstop, for profit, her whole life. Only two pups were born alive, and one lived only a very short time. The mother dog ended up adopting and nursing an orphaned raccoon, as well as her surviving pup. The story made not only the local, but the national, news. Despite all the publicity, no one came forward to adopt the mom. (The puppy has gone to his new home.)

Jack (my JRT) and I made a trip to St. Louis to meet the mom. The meeting between her and Jack went fine, and in a couple of weeks, we will be going back to pick her up. (Her milk has to dry fully, and then she will be spayed.)

She was brought to the shelter with the name "Sasha", but she doesn't answer to it - she was a commodity, not an individual. Since my Pyr's name is Tascha, I'm going to change the new pup's name to Jilly (Jack and Jilly
) to avoid any confusion in dog world.

Here's a formal portrait of Jilly and her two *pups*.
LL
LL

·
Registered
691 Posts
Poor sweetie being bred her whole life. 10 years old and still having babies, that is like a woman of about 65 or so giving birth... Thank you so much for bringing such a sweetheart into your life.... Can't wait to see more photos once she is with you and settled...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I just teared up after reading that. congrats to your adorable new addition. what a little love!

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's a great little dog, despite the life she's had. What really surprised me is that no one wanted to adopt her - normally, animals who make the news get all kinds of offers, but apparently, no one wants an old dog, even one like this.

Here's the clip that made both the local and national news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHvqQlA3tU

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Maltese with a hair cut?
She does have a haircut. At the rescue, they think she's a cockapoo, but I have a friend who has had Tibetan terriers for many years - she and her husband used to show them - and she says that the way her hair grows around her eyes is called the "chrysanthemum", and that that pattern of hair growth is unique to three Asian companion breeds - the Tibetan terrier, the lhasa apso, and the shih tzu. She's convinced that she's a cross between a lhasa apso and a shih tzu. Having seen her eyes in person, I'm suspecting she's correct.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What a precious picture! She looks so sweet!

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think it's so great that you adopted an older dog. Speaks volumes about how you regard human and non-human animals both. No ageism for you!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Congratulations on Jilly, and a warm, loving home for all of you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
MLP, I just want to hug you!! That's so great of you to give her a home. What a doll she seems to be. Update us with pictures when you get her!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.