VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegan for almost a month now. I've been trying not to overwhelm myself, meaning I first started off with food (checking ingredients and such), then started checking toiletries, and now am wondering about clothes. I know now what to avoid but my question is about the things I already own?

I have a leather coat and some boots that I bought quite a while ago. The leather jacket is one that goes with dresses and such and when going out to a nice bday dinner the other night I went to reach for it (all my other jackets look pretty silly with dinner dresses), and realized that I wasn't sure if I felt it was correct to wear it.

Anyway, I went with the silly looking jacket (and realized in the end no one gives a crap) but am left wondering about those items that I have? Is it wrong to keep on wearing them until they fall apart? Should I donate them instead?

hmmm

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you have the money you could donate them and replace them. The only leather things I had were a belt and shoes (in brand new condition). The belt became too big so I donated it, the shoes I gave to a friend.

Many people will continue using the stuff they have until its worn out. You've already bought it, though you may realize its wrong now, you can't turn back time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i'm in the same boat... the one thing that i have left is a wool jacket that i love... i cant part with it yet, but i also cant bring myself to wear it. i dont want to walk around giving the impression that it's ok... but i also agree with using up your old stuff cause you bought it before you knew better... at least that way the animal doesnt die in vain... i dont know, i wish i had the answer!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I think many folks are in the same position. I know I found things later that I hadn't even considered when going vegetarian, like some wool socks, or nail polish with silk in it. If it's something that's not practical (or cost effective) to give away, then definitely makes sense to me to wear it out. You're not going to hurt the animal more, and throwing it away is wasteful. A leather jacket is tough though, because they last a long time, and they are very visible. So, will you be tempted to explain to everyone that you're only wearing leather because...lol. If it's just going to hang in your closet, then giving it away to someone who needs it seems like a better option.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If your comfertable wearing leather or other said animal derived fabric, then you can look at it like this:

1. If you throw it away- what I waste! Does it frustrate you when a meat eater throws away half of their hamburger? It's kinda the same thing

2. Donate it!- You are now allwing a person who might otherwise go out and buy a new leather or wahtever jacket get a used one and therefore you helped to not support animal suffering

3. Wear it- the only problem with this is that people who see you wearing the jacket may like your fashion and go out and buy a new jacket from said fabric. However, this could happen if the person who got the donated jacket had good fashion to.

4. Have bad fashion and wear it. This would turn people away from said fabric.

Personally, I would wear it if I felt comfertable in it and tell people that I bought it a while back before going vegan. Then again, number 4 is a given for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I was worried if I came across a group of vegans and they found out I was a vegan wearing leather, they would spit on me or something. I was wondering if there was a "rule" for this. Hmmm, I still can't decide. I might donate it because I don't want to encourage anything by wearing it...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I would spit on you.

Just kidding! I still have a couple of pairs of leather shoes and wool items that I plan on wearing until they wear out. A leather jacket would probably creep me out too much to wear, but whatever you're comfortable doing with those items is fine. It's great that you made the decision not to buy any such items in the future!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I really, really hope there aren't vegans out there going around spitting on anyone, let alone on other vegans who are wearing out their pre-veg leather coats.

There's no hard and fast rule. You could wear them out and buy new ones as you can afford it, or shop around for a good veg coat and donate the leather one to a thrift store, or give it to a friend, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My sister bought me a leather Gucci purse a couple of years ago for Christmas, I carry it occasionally but usually when I do I feel bad! Plus people always comment on how gorgeous it is (it really is) and I feel like I am promoting this dang purse. Arggggh, sometimes I want to get rid of it, then other times I dont.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's really up to you if you want to keep the clothes or not. I tend to get rid of that stuff. It just makes me feel bad to keep it. I can't wear it without thinking about the dead animals.

Moreover, whenever you tell a confrontational meat-eater that you're veggie they almost always look at your shoes to see if they're leather. Then they point it out as if it's a contradiction because their worldview is totally black and white. All they see is vegan = evil. So, it's easier to not wear leather around those idiots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts