VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was vegan mostly vego for 3 weeks about a month ago I was planning to stick it out until the thing that happens when I stick to it that long happend again... i stared to get really dizzy and stuff..any advice?

·
Registered
256 Posts
It depends what you were eating- if you are eating a balanced vegan diet, you certainly should not get dizzy! Dizziness, unless caused by a specific medical problem unrelated to diet, would probably be caused by lack of calories rather than a specific nutrient, although I'm not a doctor so can only go by my own experience/reading. You can plug your height, weight and activity levels into calculators online which tell you approximately how many calories you should have, so you can keep an eye on that if you think you might not be getting enough.

You need to make sure you're getting enough protein, carbs, healthy fats, fruits and veggies on any given day. I personally look at each meal of the day and ensure I am getting protein, carbs and veggies in that meal, and then make sure that over the process of the day, I've also had some healthy fats (you can use oils, or nuts and seeds are a good source; you only need a few, or avocado is fab too)

Maybe if you list what you were eating on a typical day, we could advise you of any things you might have been forgetting to include? We could probably suggest a few good sources of things you were missing out if needs be.

Well done for trying and don't be put off- these things take time to get right, sometimes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well so far today Ive had a vego diet... 3 bowls of veggie soup from lillies souper soup recipe on the net, 4 weet bix with milk, a pear , chick nuts and penne pasta with sundried tomato.. ive eaten a fair bit today though.. I took an iron tablet today too.. I must also inform that im on sedatives too, so Im not sure maybe that has something to do with it. :/

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In my experience, I would regularly become iron-deficient while I was vegetarian (lacto-ovo). I blame it on my fairly high consumption of dairy, and lower consumption of beans, lentils, etc. When I went vegan, I essentially replaced dairy foods, which are low in iron, with these high protein, high iron, etc. foods. I've not had any issues with feeling light-headed, breathless, or weak (all signs of iron deficiency) since.

My guess is that you're not consuming enough of those high protein, high iron foods: beans, lentils, soy foods... As Littlelove said, if you're consuming a balanced, healthy diet, you shouldn't have any issues. Consulting a vegan food pyramid might be helpful, if you're not sure how much you should be eating of what things. You'll also want to make sure you've got daily sources of B12, vitamin D2, and omega-3s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem with the sources of iron and protein such as beans and stuff is I get uncomfortable gas and its very hard to have that all day and feel normal.. not that im farting all day... im basically holding it in and can feel my belly popping like crazy..eww :/

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, that's apparently a fairly common problem. I've read that it tends to happen to people who are not used to consuming beans, etc. regularly. So, for instance, people who've been accustomed to getting their protein, etc. mainly from meat, or even from dairy products and eggs. When they switch over to beans, it takes awhile for their systems to adjust.

I never had any issues like this, even though I significantly raised my consumption of beans when I went from vegetarian to vegan. I guess I was eating enough beans beforehand, or maybe I adapt well to changes like that, I don't know. But yeah, I've heard lots of people complain about this, and from the reading I've done, it seems that with time, the problem does go away. So you can take some comfort in that!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineG View Post

My problem with the sources of iron and protein such as beans and stuff is I get uncomfortable gas and its very hard to have that all day and feel normal.. not that im farting all day... im basically holding it in and can feel my belly popping like crazy..eww :/
Giving beans a long soak (even letting them sprout) helps a lot with these digestive issues, also adding a little baking soda to the soaking water.
Natural digestive enzymes are pineapple and papaya, maybe try eating some of these raw fruits or juices after eating foods that cause your tummy upset.

As for becoming dizzy, have you read all of the symptoms associated with your medications?

The amount of food you described above is barely enough for a day, if that is a "fair bit" you probably need to eat more food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts