VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
many people keep telling how "healthy" certain oils are, like olive, canola, etc. then i saw this

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c220d.html

and after reading 'eat to live' it seems oils are not good for you at all. they only typcially contain 2 vitamins and no minerals, also i do no some oils contain lots of omega 3's but does that really make up for all the other horribleness?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

many people keep telling how "healthy" certain oils are, like olive, canola, etc. then i saw this

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c220d.html

and after reading 'eat to live' it seems oils are not good for you at all. they only typcially contain 2 vitamins and no minerals, also i do no some oils contain lots of omega 3's but does that really make up for all the other horribleness?
Unsaturated oils are VERY bad for you if heated. If these oils are processed without heat and have not gone rancid, they should be okay. But never heat them or use them to cook or fry, etc. I only use the saturated fat coconut oil for cooking because its stable when heated. The only other oils I eat are cold processed flax/evening primrose/borage. Oxidated oils=death.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Most vegans and vegetarians that don't eat lots of dairy don't get enough fat (I know that I probably don't). I actually *try* to eat fatty things like avocados, and I never skimp on the olive oil.

Like Troub says, fat is essential. Just stick to non-processed, natural oils. Olive oil has been used by people for centuries, and countless studies show that it is healthy for you in the proper moderation. I use this as my primary cooking oil. I will sometimes use organic canola oil (organic because non-organic is almost certainly monsanto GMO) as a light frying oil.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Oils in moderation are considered healthy regardless of their vitamin or mineral content. Fat is a necessary nutrient--it is actually a macronutrient rather than a micronutrient like vitamins and minerals are.

Macronutrients (in order of importance)--

Water

Carbohydrates

Fats

Protein

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Unsaturated oils are VERY bad for you if heated. If these oils are processed without heat and have not gone rancid, they should be okay. But never heat them or use them to cook or fry, etc. I only use the saturated fat coconut oil for cooking because its stable when heated. The only other oils I eat are cold processed flax/evening primrose/borage. Oxidated oils=death.
ITA, it's pretty much all about the coconut oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts