VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried oil pulling for curative purposes? I'm considering trying it out myself. Oil pulling is bascially swishing around either sesame or sunflower oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes. The oil supposedly draws out toxins in your body. Practitioners claim it can cure everything from allergies to liver problems. Yet I wonder if there's any truth to this. Has anyone here had any success with this method? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Wow, that sounds like it would do absolutely nothing beneficial for your health (unless you had some sort of severe dietary fat deficiency). It would probably taste gross too.

(Pro-tip: anything that claims to "draw toxins" from your body is most likely quackery. Your body gets rid of its own toxins, it's called defecation.)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

(Pro-tip: anything that claims to "draw toxins" from your body is most likely quackery. Your body gets rid of its own toxins, it's called defecation.)
yes i dont know about anyone else but i have faith in my body and imagine it can detoxify itself. go liver go!

I cant imagine swishing oil around in the mouth does anything other than make you feel a little bit sick. But hey at least its cheap and the quacks arent flogging you any of their own products.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
According to one study on "the effect of oil-pulling on the reduction of total count of bacteria": "there was a remarkable reduction in the total count of bacteria. The process of oil-pulling reduced the susceptibility of a host to dental caries."[2]

That's about it.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailiflower View Post

Has anyone ever tried oil pulling for curative purposes? I'm considering trying it out myself. Oil pulling is bascially swishing around either sesame or sunflower oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes. The oil supposedly draws out toxins in your body. Practitioners claim it can cure everything from allergies to liver problems. Yet I wonder if there's any truth to this. Has anyone here had any success with this method? Thanks!
That sounds rather gross.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All previous comments aside: I have a very close friend who swears by oil pulling. She is planning to start a blog about it some time soon and when she does I'll be sure to post the link. She has before and after pictures of things such as her hair, nails, and teeth and as much as I could never do oil pulling (tried once and I couldn't get past the taste/texture) she has had amazing results since starting to do it. Her hair is more manageable and shiny, her teeth look whiter, and her nails have always been thin since we were kids but have seemed to thicken and the ridges that used to be there are completely gone. She also seems in better health, but that could always be chalked up to the placebo effect.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
This sounds quite interesting, may give this a go, sometime. From what i have read, you only need to use a tablespoon of unrefined sesame or sunflower oil, and swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes, preferably on an empty stomach, then spit the oil out and rinse with water. It doesn't sound particularly pleasant, and it would take a commitment to do this every day for 2 months, but i still think that it's worth a try.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

All previous comments aside: I have a very close friend who swears by oil pulling. She is planning to start a blog about it some time soon and when she does I'll be sure to post the link. She has before and after pictures of things such as her hair, nails, and teeth and as much as I could never do oil pulling (tried once and I couldn't get past the taste/texture) she has had amazing results since starting to do it. Her hair is more manageable and shiny, her teeth look whiter, and her nails have always been thin since we were kids but have seemed to thicken and the ridges that used to be there are completely gone. She also seems in better health, but that could always be chalked up to the placebo effect.
The improvement in hair, fingernails, etc. can also be attributed to a higher intake of dietary fat, which oil provides!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I tried this to clean my teeth and I nearly threw up.
I have used a bit of coconut oil on my toothbrush to clean them and it worked quite well. My dentist said that he doesn't use toothpaste ever.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yeah, because after I swish oil around in my mouth for 20 minutes, I'm going to have to brush my teeth REALLY WELL to get the oil out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

That sounds rather gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

This disgusts me on so many levels.
I don't think I could keep swishing the same tablespoon of anything in my mouth for 20 minutes and not throw up, even if it were something I really liked the taste of, let alone oil, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

The improvement in hair, fingernails, etc. can also be attributed to a higher intake of dietary fat, which oil provides!
I completely agree
. I thought the same even as I was typing it. I say more power to those that benefit from it...but tried it and was gagging so I don't plan to try again any time soon.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I tried this to clean my teeth and I nearly threw up.
I have used a bit of coconut oil on my toothbrush to clean them and it worked quite well. My dentist said that he doesn't use toothpaste ever.
What does he use instead?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm going to try it out.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Wasn't all that big of a deal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts