VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is so awesome. i had this urge to bake but i'm broke and out of like everything. so i remembered i had this cake recipe that doesn't ask for soymilk and sat and thought for a bit. i ended up making coffee cake muffins. i decided muffins/cupcakes are more convenient and stay fresh longer but you could just do it in a cake pan too. i had some batter leftover and put it into the smallest loaf pan i had cause i only have one muffin tray.

anywho this is the recipe i used, but i modified it. it's from www.catteacorner.com/recipes i think it's listed as 'basic vanilla cake'

Vanilla Cake

2 cups water

3/4 cup sunflower oil (or other light oil)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

4 teaspoons vanilla

3 1/2 cups unbleached flour

2 cups sugar/sweetener

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven 350F, combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl. combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in seperate bowl. add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat til well blended. pour into 13x9x2 pan coated with cooking spray and bake 40 minutes.

but... this is roughly what i changed... i used a little less vanilla (about 3 tsp) and a little less plain sugar, and added some corn syrup (maple syrup would be good too) and brown sugar. i used baking powder not baking soda, don't know if it makes a difference but it turned out fluffy and yummy anyway. i also added some chopped walnuts and pecans i had leftover, and some instant coffee. i guess about a tablespoon of coffee, the nuts was just sorta whatever i had left, not sure how much there was.

baked as directed but in oiled muffin tray instead of cake pan. when it came out of the oven i drizzled this on top:

couple tablespoons of instant coffee, couple tablespoons of brown sugar, corn syrup, a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, and a wee bit of water. it seemed runny at first but i'd mixed it up while the cake was still in, so by the time it came out it had thickened to a syrup. taste it before you use it to make sure it's not bitter, if so add more brown sugar and corn syrup til tastes ok. i drizzled it on while the cake was still warm, now that it's cooled it's sort of a glaze, it worked out really well.

mmmmm yummy. and sticky. very sticky.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Wow - those really are simple ingredients.

I've not had cake since I went veggie.

I think I'll give this one a go (I've already got the ingredients).

Don't need the calories......but hey, life it short

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
1vegan goes off-topic "again".

Cooking spray ? Isn't that expensive ?

I just use margerine or sunflower oil and rub it in with my fingers.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i normally just spread sunflower oil on with a wad of paper towel, but we happened to have cooking spray in the house anyway so i used it.

when i made the cake recipe before, i made a mocha icing using margarine, cocoa, icing sugar and a bit of strong coffee and added instant coffee to the batter as suggested by Kreeli, and decorated with chopped pecans. it turned out awesome. you could use less vanilla and add cocoa to make it a chocolatey cake instead. i was going to but am almost out of cocoa. i love this recipe because you can alter it into so many things.

and i want to add that after leaving the coffee cake on the counter overnight covered with plastic wrap, it's a little less sticky today and the cake part is softer and fluffier if that's possible. it seems they're better after they sit for a bit. yumm!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts