VeggieBoards banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Gah!

I never thought about tampons. Doesn't matter now because I pretty much have been pregnant or nursing for the past 4 years, I barely got a period before I was knocked up again. Maybe I will give it some thought after I get my period again after this baby is born and weaned.

There are things out there that I just don't even think about being vegan or not vegan. I bought paint brushes for my kids yesterday, and my husband pointed out that they were animal hair bristle brushes. I just really never thought about paint brushes before. I really just focus on food, clothing, and personal hygiene products. I am trying now with household cleaning products- some are probably not cruelty free, but I do use vinegar/ water to clean most things now.

I feel like a jerk, but sometimes I just would rather not know anymore than I do. I feel very comfortable with my level of vegan-ness for now and don't really want to go any further. I'm sure I will eventually, but Its only been 1 1/2 years, it is a work in progress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure about your tampons issue, I'm still looking for a good replacement myself, but Kiss My Face has and extensive line of vegan friendly products that are inexpensive and effective. They have both roll-on and stick deoderant. Plus, their products are usually available in any well stocked pharmacy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was caught by surprise this month, never felt my periods come, I usually have body signs, so I was late to buy a diva cup, but I'll have one for next month. I'm one of those who go through a tampon so fast that they leak. It's tampon + pad for me or bye bye panties. Maybe the cup will be what I was trying to find all those years? something that does't' leak hehe.

Reactions: Thalassa4

·
Registered
665 Posts
So little by little I find myself trying to live a cruelty-free lifestyle. There is one thing I just can't find an adequate replacement for: tampons. I've tried the two alternatives and they kinda suck. I'm not willing to try anything other than tampons such as diva cups or reusable pads. I'm about at my wit's end and ready to throw in the towel and say sorry on this one. Any suggestions? On a side note I've also had little luck in finding any good cruelty-free deodorants and could use some advice in that department as well.
This is a really old thread, but I just wanted to share that I did an in-depth look at this topic (posted on this forum here). Hope it's helpful!

·
Veggie Recycler
556 Posts
I really don't have anything to say to you if you won't try menstrual cups, as an environmentalist. Enjoy your toxic shock, vaginal dryness, and creation of unsustainable waste....menstrual cups are ridiculously clean and sterile as long as you carry mild soap And aren't too neurotic to stick your fingers in your own vagina. Carry bottled water in a Nalgene bottle for awkward public restroom situations, and use cloth pads for heavy days, which you can throw into the laundry. I really don't care to hear your excuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This video was recently shared in a menstrual cup group I belong to on FB. It was fantastic, and I appreciate you taking the time to present the facts about tampon production and use. It certainly increases the love I have for my cup :)

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I really don't have anything to say to you if you won't try menstrual cups, as an environmentalist. Enjoy your toxic shock, vaginal dryness, and creation of unsustainable waste....menstrual cups are ridiculously clean and sterile as long as you carry mild soap And aren't too neurotic to stick your fingers in your own vagina. Carry bottled water in a Nalgene bottle for awkward public restroom situations, and use cloth pads for heavy days, which you can throw into the laundry. I really don't care to hear your excuses.
Hi Thalassa4,
I am an RN who works OB/GYN, and I am a big fan of the menstrual cups, washable pads, etc, for the patients, and even have samples for them to examine.

Please be aware, though, that these products do not work for every woman. Vaginal anatomy varies greatly, and some cannot be fit by the cups. In addition, those who have borne children, and/or had other trauma in that area such as female circumcision, accident, or childhood sexual abuse often cannot successfully use these products. Some women who have been the victim of rape cannot bear to touch their own genitals. Impoverished and homeless women often find these products impractical, as access to cleaning and storage can be difficult for them; many just use wadded up toilet paper. Some women have limited mobility of the hands, or obesity that prevents insertion.

Please don't judge others from your standpoint of privilege. Promoting use of the diva cup is great, as many women are unaware of the existence of these products. But just be aware that there are people who cannot use them, and don't hurt them more than they are already by shaming or shunning. (Also, "sterile" is an incorrect descriptor, as they are not sterilized by simply washing. They are clean and very safe to use, but not sterile.)

I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I really am glad that you have found a good monthly solution that works for you. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
This video was recently shared in a menstrual cup group I belong to on FB. It was fantastic, and I appreciate you taking the time to present the facts about tampon production and use. It certainly increases the love I have for my cup :)
That's so great to hear! I know it was LLOOONG but I really wanted to do proper justice and depth to the topic :)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Holy crap, check your privilege.

Start with compassion, always. You don't know any of us or the valid and legitimate choices people make. Just because something works for you, does not mean it works for everyone.

"I really don't care to hear your excuses" is a very rude and closed-door way to approach people and life. Maybe if you really did care to hear people's reasons, you might learn that not everyone lives the life you do or experiences it the same way.

Perhaps you should start with "I really do care," and go from there. . .

·
Veggie Recycler
556 Posts
Holy crap, check your privilege.

Start with compassion, always. You don't know any of us or the valid and legitimate choices people make. Just because something works for you, does not mean it works for everyone.

"I really don't care to hear your excuses" is a very rude and closed-door way to approach people and life. Maybe if you really did care to hear people's reasons, you might learn that not everyone lives the life you do or experiences it the same way.

Perhaps you should start with "I really do care," and go from there. . .
Lol ...my privilege? Menstrual cups and cloth pads are more cost effective than disposable products, and have been recommended ironically to homeless women and impoverished women in developing countries, as well as to women in the military.

Honestly I didn't like her tone in the OP like she's totally closed off to using anything other than tampons, she didn't reveal any medical condition that would prevent her from using a menstrual cup or cloth pad.

Yeah, I'm honestly tired of hearing people's first world lazy entitled excuses about why they can't do small things to balance their enormous, exploitative consumption in the world. So check your privilege indeed!

I could have been "nicer" about it, but it would probably just enable someone who is already closed off to the idea for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lol ...my privilege?
Yeah, your privilege. Your snotty tone to someone you don't know, as though she approached only you for advice, was arrogant and juvenile.

Honestly I didn't like her tone in the OP like she's totally closed off to using anything other than tampons, she didn't reveal any medical condition that would prevent her from using a menstrual cup or cloth pad.
Why on earth do you think the OP has to disclose her medical history on a public forum? And so what if she chooses something different from you? Your response would be hilarious in its egotism if you weren't also posting harmful things on this forum.

Yeah, I'm honestly tired of hearing people's first world lazy entitled excuses about why they can't do small things to balance their enormous, exploitative consumption in the world. So check your privilege indeed!

I could have been "nicer" about it, but it would probably just enable someone who is already closed off to the idea for no apparent reason.
What a pity you were never taught manners or kindness. Perhaps your feeble attempt at diagnosing someone you don't know is just a mirror.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.