VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
wait, what? how can tampons be tested on animals? :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I was skeptical, but I finally did try out a Diva cup and I like it so much better than tampons, but I use both, depending on which is more convenient in a situation. I probably use the cup about 75% of the time.
heh, for some reason i was sure you are a guy, lol. But this is what i have been thinking of trying for a while. now more so that i found out that tampons are tested on animals, before i just thought that they are bad for the environment

I don't think this will be viewed as extreme. a lot of omnis are against animal testing, especially for cosmetic products or products that can be substituted with something else. i was trying to avoid make up tested on animals when i was eating meat. and i know omnis who do it too. they may think that eating meat is natural and there is no way round it but they do believe that unnecessary torture of animals is wrong

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

heh, for some reason i was sure you are a guy, lol. But this is what i have been thinking of trying for a while. now more so that i found out that tampons are tested on animals, before i just thought that they are bad for the environment
Who said tampons are tested on animals? I haven't seen anything that indicates tampons are tested on animals.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Who said tampons are tested on animals? I haven't seen anything that indicates tampons are tested on animals.
I got it from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Wait, why aren't tampons vegan? I thought they were made of cotton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Animal testing.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ok, so someone on the internet said they might be tested on animals. Did anyone write to a company? It seems silly to assume tampons are tested on animals when there is really no basis for that assumption, except that so-called "vegan" tampons exist.

Like I said earlier..does everyone also make sure their toilet paper is not tested on animals?

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:

Ok, so someone on the internet said they might be tested on animals. Did anyone write to a company? It seems silly to assume tampons are tested on animals when there is really no basis for that assumption, except that so-called "vegan" tampons exist.

Like I said earlier..does everyone also make sure their toilet paper is not tested on animals?
Buying from companies that fund animal testing = animal testing.
I never said they tested the tampons.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:

lol, ok now i see. i was really wondering how they do it

Thats kind of different though. it is like eating in a restaurantthat serves meat but ordering vegan

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
What are you looking for in a deodorant? Antiperspirant as well, "natural" ingredients, etc?

I'm so glad my search of animal-friendly sanitary products led me to the reusable stuff. They've greatly improved my period and since i have a uterus from hell i need that.

Maybe not for tampons but i could see pads causing animal testing with the perfumes and whatnot in some of them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:

Well, do you think that maybe next time you could be just a little more specific? Your original answer was incredibly misleading.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:

Oh, but the product itself isn't tested on animals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

lol, ok now i see. i was really wondering how they do it

Thats kind of different though. it is like eating in a restaurantthat serves meat but ordering vegan
That's what I was thinking. I try to buy from different brands as much as possible, but I'm not going to fuss if the actual product isn't tested on animals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Animal testing is done for toxic shock syndrome (or TSS). There are plenty of academic papers on these studies, but here's just one:

http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream...130E_10347.pdf

It's pretty technical, but there's a simple table on page 77, which includes the rabbits who are tested on, how the toxins are administered (both IV and intravaginal), and their rate of survival (measured in hours).

Why would you want to support companies that test on animals when other alternatives are available? How much worse is it for you to simply buy Seventh Generation, or another alternative, instead of supporting companies that continue to test on animals? And for what it's worth, I don't see this as being comparable to owning cars or computers. There are other alternatives readily available to the majority of people here. I'd say it's more comparable to buying face wash, in that you "need" to wash your face, but you don't "need" to buy face wash from companies that test on animals.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

For anyone interested in the UK I emailed lil lets and got the reply that they don't test on animals (I couldn't find anything online to contradict this either). Also, own-brand tampons by supermarkets/pharmacies that don't test on animals (sainsbirys, I don't know is superdrug do their own but them if so, boots perhaps - I don't know their animal testing policy) would be another option - however I've found that sainsburys tampons actually came apart whilst in use, only once, but that was once enough! :/ I don't know if this is common, but it's put me off anyway.

I have bought both lil lets and sainsburys before - tampax always seemed to make their tampons seem unnessersairily complex if you ask me!
Lilets it is then! Thanks for taking the trouble to email them

SuperDrug tampons are AWFUL, they leave behind fibres and once left HALF of one behind. Which is pretty dangerous. Not using them again.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonanimal View Post

Animal testing is done for toxic shock syndrome (or TSS). There are plenty of academic papers on these studies, but here's just one:

It's pretty technical, but there's a simple table on page 77, which includes the rabbits who are tested on, how the toxins are administered (both IV and intravaginal), and their rate of survival (measured in hours).

Why would you want to support companies that test on animals when other alternatives are available? How much worse is it for you to simply buy Seventh Generation, or another alternative, instead of supporting companies that continue to test on animals? And for what it's worth, I don't see this as being comparable to owning cars or computers. There are other alternatives readily available to the majority of people here. I'd say it's more comparable to buying face wash, in that you "need" to wash your face, but you don't "need" to buy face wash from companies that test on animals.
What you posted is an academic research study, not product testing by a company.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

What you posted is an academic research study, not product testing by a company.
I don't remember claiming it was anything other than an academic paper. It was just to show that animals are tested on for these purposes. Tampon companies have a vested interest in TSS, and some of them test on animals. It's pretty easy to put two and two together. If you require further justification, you're welcome to email the companies who test on animals, and see if they'll give you a detailed account of the experiments they've conducted. But I think it's more productive to simply buy from companies who don't test on animals, as opposed to looking for reasons to support the ones who do. Seventh Generation and Lil-lets have already been suggested, along with other companies.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonanimal View Post

1) I did not know about the actual product being tested on animals.
2) It would be much more expensive to buy the other brands. I wasn't willing to do that before because I thought the actual product wasn't tested on animals.
3) I'm assuming that part isn't for me because I haven't mentioned anything about computers or cars.
4) I don't buy face wash tested on animals. I always buy vegan face wash. Maybe I've missed something there but I'm not sure what the point of that was. :p
5) Many people here love Oreos, even though Nabisco is owned by Unilever. Are you going to give them a hard time, too?

I'm really not sure if you meant to come off as rude, but it felt that way to me.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Well, do you think that maybe next time you could be just a little more specific? Your original answer was incredibly misleading.
Or maybe you can always get a second opinion or search for an expanded answer online and not rely on one answer from a forum?

The question was vegan menstrual items. Many companies that produce menstrual items test products on animals, and purchasing items from those companies is funding animal testing. I don't associate J&J, PG, Dial, L'Oreal, the Arm & Hammer parent, whatever, to be vegan friendly. If I can avoid those companies, and their sub companies, I'm a happy camper. Some people like to mainly support companies that don't test anything/that are vegan-friendly, others like to support companies if they offer at least a vegan-friendly product. I'm the former.
Therefore, a handful of vegan-friendly brands were mentioned from myself and others, ones that don't help fund animal testing. Veganism includes rejecting animal testing as much as you are capable. It's not always possible to get/use/eat/wear/etc. things not tested on animals, I'm 100% sure there are things of mine that are from companies I don't like, and if OP would rather stick with a brand she already knows she likes, then if she's happy, I'm happy.

Anonanimal then mentioned TSS, which I completely forgot about. I don't use tampons, I don't like them, so I never even thought about the testing done in the name of TSS. Chances are, some of those companies that test on animals are helping to fund those TSS tests. I don't know if that's true, but I wouldn't doubt it. Anon said it best, companies have a vested interest in TSS, and with many of those companies test on animals. It's reasonable to think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Oh, but the product itself isn't tested on animals?
Who knows at this rate. Companies are crazy. Ones with dyes and perfumes and being bleached with chemicals and whatnot are no doubt having those ingredients tested on animals (I'm sure it's required by law). Whether or not they're taking tampons and sewing them inside a dog to see if it causes cancer is a whole different story. You'll have to contact companies and find out.

Add: I've emailed a few companies and I'll post their responses if I get one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

1) I did not know about the actual product being tested on animals.
2) It would be much more expensive to buy the other brands. I wasn't willing to do that before because I thought the actual product wasn't tested on animals.
3) I'm assuming that part isn't for me because I haven't mentioned anything about computers or cars.
4) I don't buy face wash tested on animals. I always buy vegan face wash. Maybe I've missed something there but I'm not sure what the point of that was. :p
5) Many people here love Oreos, even though Nabisco is owned by Unilever. Are you going to give them a hard time, too?
1) Well, that's not the only reason why I try to avoid companies that test on animals. I'll direct you to Puppet Master's post, because I agree with what she said about this issue.

2) It's not my place to determine your financial situation. That's for you to decide. Many people can afford to buy other brands, but not everyone.

3) Nothing in my response was meant for you, it was just a general response to the thread.

4) Again, this wasn't a direct response to your comment. It was brought up on the basis of comparison, to show that most personal care items can be purchased from companies that don't test on animals, including feminine products.

5) I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. The main point of my post was to outline possible reasons companies might support animal testing, and to provide alternatives to those companies.

Quote:
I'm really not sure if you meant to come off as rude, but it felt that way to me.
Nope
Sorry if you felt offended.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:

Add: I've emailed a few companies and I'll post their responses if I get one.
Thanks for taking the initiative. I'm curious what they have to say.

As I said before, I take the 99% vegan route. I'd much rather work to help other people go 99% vegan than work to memorize the Animal Ingredients List A-Z book by heart. Each Vegan Outreach pamphlet I hand out is probably equivalent to a whole month's worth of boycotting nonvegan tampons. So I live my life at the level the 99% vegan level that I'm comfortable at, making minor adjustments here and there when it seems appropriate.

I had veganized lots of areas of my life and I avoid things that contain animal ingredients or were tested on animals. I even bring vegan nail polish with me to the nail shop most of the time for my pedicure addiction. But I hadn't considered that OB was a subsidiary of a larger company that tests on animals and that tampon "ingredients" might be tested on animals. It simply hadn't occurred to me and to be honest I still don't think it's a very big deal. Why? Because I've known about these boycotts for virtually my entire life and they don't seem to be making much difference in how companies behave. I think that there are other, more effective methods of influencing the people who test on animals to stop. However, I decided to try another tampon brand (7th gen) that some sources indicate are cruelty-free, although the box doesn't say. Next chance I get I will make a more "informed" decision about this issue

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.