1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
HK meaning Hong Kong?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
nope but a friend of mine has, maybe i'll try to get him to post.

i did see on tv though that HK is the easiest place in the world to start a business

·
Registered
828 Posts
I had a friend who was there for a few weeks in fall. He said it was just people everywhere. people, people, people. He also got terrible food poisoning his first day there, but I don't remember what he ate.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
michael there have been no new victims of sars since about may or so.

superjane i can understand the food posioning if you are eating meat or just from one of the food stalls at the front of places.

ARghhhhhhh don't know what i am going to do i need to make up my mind in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
reading your list, i would go. 6 months isn't that much time, and you'll probably love it while you're there. If you hate it, you only have 6 months to be there. And besides, everything that you leave here will still be at home when you get back (if you want to come back).

A friend of my husband's (from graduate school) teaches English in Japan. He went on a 6 month stint 6 years ago. He still hasn't come home. He now runs the school (head master) where he was employed 6 years ago as an english instructor. He travels, he lives very comfortably, he's married to a beautiful japanese woman. He loves living there.

He comes home for major holidays and the like--but ultimately his home is in Japan. So, you may be like that--or you may want to come home. And when you come home, all the stuff you're used to will be there for you.

Personally, i would go. GOod luck!

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I think you should probably go, so long as *YOU* don't mind perhaps having to skimp a bit on veg food maybe(??), (which if it were me would be hard) but then else yes I support your decision

to go too Bluey!!! because if not now, you may never go...Also, learning THEIR lingo is just as important as teaching English to them orbeit Australian ENGLISH.. but I'm sure you already speak a fair bit of chinese already don't you I presume?? Anyhow MissBlue'y, I'll speak to you more via PMs if called for
but I am not a well travelled person at all so what help I am(?) or what I might be able to say is therefore limited to that of moralle support hoping that it all works out for you etc.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
blue:

many people are afraid of what others want to do.

for instance, i'm starting my own business and i've had more people trying to talk me out of it than supporting me with it. it's mostly because they're too afraid to do something so bold themselves.

so, if you think it may be fun, or interesting, or just something you want to try, you really have nothing to loose.

Like i said, it's only 6 months. the first month will be the hardest anyway, after that you'll get into a routine.

oh, and being veg won't be terrible. there are veggies in asia.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm going to be another supporter of going to Hong Kong. It's a great opportunity and why not take a chance? Go for it blueserendipity and have fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts