VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only kidding, But what great pie crust the EB shortening makes.

I have always been a pie maven, but have not been able to make a really good crust since giving up Crisco. But this pie is absolutely beautiful, flakey tender crust, best I ever made. I am so excited that I emailed Uncle Eddies vegan cookies to let them know about this shortening. They had been trying to find a healthier shortening than the one they were using and they told me that Earth Balance had not worked in their recipes. I always use EB for cookies and it works great for me.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
How much more expensive are EB products than Crisco products? I love the idea, but I would need to take into consideration financial aspects.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Michael I don't work for EB, I just love pie.

Skylark

I don't know but Criso is made by Proctor and Gamble and is nothing but hydrogenated oil which is really bad for you. As bad as animal fat. It's cheaper than doctor bills that's for sure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, hydrogenated oil is bad for the cholesterol level. I try to avoid it now. I never heard of EB but will look for it at the store I go to.

I saw the topic name and thought, oh someone else is getting fat, too! I'm already there. lol.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yup i try to avoid hydrogenated oil as much as i can, but i'm a junk food fanatic and sometimes cave and buy a bag of chips. a big bag normally lasts me 2 to 3 days, just to myself. eep.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Kreeli, i know, but they're expensive and hard to find around here. which brand would you recommend? i haven't really tried many

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
well the store i go to carries president's choice and no name, but no store brand. i'm pretty sure no name chips are hydrogenated, not sure if president's choice even makes chips, i'll have to look.

what store brand is yours? might have it here somewhere

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i can't for the life of me remember their name right now; we buy them so infrequently. i'll check next time i'm there.

what is the point of using hydrogenated oil in potato chips?
i mean, they're just potatoes, fried in oil.

ms. vicky's are my favourite, but they are cost-prohibitive, i know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdlady

I saw the topic name and thought, oh someone else is getting fat, too! I'm already there. lol.
Me too! I'm all disappointed now!

I use "pure" vegan marg as I don't think earth balance is available here in the UK. I have no idea how healthy/unhealthy pure is! (however promising the name sounds!!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a fried food fanatic and I love to fry anything and everything.

I think hydrogenated oils are good for your palate. It may be bad for your health but hey, life's short and food is good as long as no animal was killed in the process!

So go ahead and enjoy your high-fat potato chips. It's one of the few pleasures you can have in a meat-centric world.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushabh View Post

I'm a fried food fanatic and I love to fry anything and everything.

I think hydrogenated oils are good for your palate. It may be bad for your health but hey, life's short and food is good as long as no animal was killed in the process!

So go ahead and enjoy your high-fat potato chips. It's one of the few pleasures you can have in a meat-centric world.
Hahahaaaaaaaa. Goodness. I have my chips. I need to stop eating them. You can have them sometimes, but not all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.