VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the mods on a Princess Bride kick, and it's spilled over, I see.

Talk about it here! What's your favorite scene? What do you wish you could do? Do you prefer Mandy Patakin (Inigo) or Cary Elwes (Westley)? Did you laugh your socks off the first 100 times you watched it? Do you incoroporate the quotes into your daily life?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I actually signed up for fencing lessons because of the Princess Bride. It was a lot of fun although I can't do any of the fancy sword throwing.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Inigo is a great character, but Wesley is even better. I love how there is such an air of mystery about him at the beginning, and he has some of the best lines.

I watched this movie almost every time my friends and I got together at one of our houses. It never gets old.

I don't know if I can pick a favorite scene or quote! The swordfight between Inigo and Wesley is a good one. The whole right-handed/left-handed thing is hilarious.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
as I mentioned to sky already...

I've only seen the movie once, many years ago, and I was on drugs at the time. I remember I REALLY loved it, but I couldn't tell you much about it at this point...

I remember I liked Billy Crystal and Carol Kane the best....

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I love that movie

<<<<-----the little boy pictured to your left is named The Dread Pirate Roberts, and because Ducky (little girl with white feet) has a milk mustache I call her Inigo Montoya. She makes this very serious face sometimes and we call that "you killed my father, prepare to die" face.

They of course play fight all the time so we have lots of chances to say "You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you. You seem a decent fellow, I hate to die."

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I also love that scene with Billy Crystal and Carol Kane. It''s just SO incongruous to have two elderly Jews in the middle of this entire thing.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What's your favorite scene? When Buttercup shoves Wesley down the hill, realizes who he is, and tucks and rolls after him. "Aaassss yoooouuuu wiiiiiish!"

What do you wish you could do? Survive the Death Machine.

Do you prefer Mandy Patakin (Inigo) or Cary Elwes (Westley)? For humor, Mandy Patakin, but Cary Elwes is sexier.

Did you laugh your socks off the first 100 times you watched it? I am way over the 100 mark and I still laugh!

Do you incoroporate the quotes into your daily life? Sure do.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I also love that scene with Billy Crystal and Carol Kane. It''s just SO incongruous to have two elderly Jews in the middle of this entire thing.
"You promised me you wouldn't say that word!"

"What? Humperdink? ... HUMPERDINK! HUMPERDINK! HUMPERDINK! HUMPERDINK!"

·
Registered
8,489 Posts

(wishes to use more than 6 smileys just this once)

i do a kickass impression of the impressive clergyman.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I used to fence, and so many people constantly quoted this at me (especially "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"), that I had to read the book. Never seen the film, but I love the cliff scene with Inigo! So honourable.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I fricken LOVE the princess bride

So do my dad and my sister. I tried to make my girlfriend watch it and she made me turn it off

<< my favourite character. and, below, my favourite quote

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Oh man.

I shared with skylark, that I used to be able to recite the entire movie, start to finish, I'd seen it so many times. I'm secretly hoping that some theatre will release it for the 20th anniversary this year.

There are too many excellent scenes to pick a favorite. I do love the swordfight, where the trumpets flourish with "I'm not left-handed either." Oh, but before that, climbing up the cliff "If you're in such a hurry, you could do something helpful like lowering a rope or a tree branch or something". And Vezzini and the battle of wits...the Rodents of Unusual Size...."no more rhymes now, I mean it!" Oh man, I almost forgot about the escape on the sailboat "Go left! Left! No, the other left!" "I wonder if he is using the same wind that we're using".

The end scene in the Royal Bedroom is priceless. I don't know how many times my geeky friends and I used the line "to the pain" in college. Or, when she kisses the elderly King and says "It's just that you've always been so nice to me, and I won't be seeing you anymore, since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite".

(also Jewish) Mandy Patinkin doing a really bad Spanish accent, the Dread Pirate Roberts, and of course the absolutely magnificent Peter Falk as the grandfather ("you looked worried" "well, maybe I was a bit concerned")

It's a crime against art that this movie didn't win an Oscar!

Sadly, my copy is still in storage at my folks' house in the States. Perhaps it's time to look for that 2-disc version.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was seriously in love with Cary Elwes for years after first seeing that movie. I intended to marry him. Then I actually met him in person. It was quite the let down. He was charming and all, but he'd somehow dared to grow older and he just didn't look like Farmboy anymore. I was very disappointed that he hadn't waited for me (as in, not grown any older and actually waited for me to find him so he could marry me). Growing up sucks.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Damn those actors and their aging. Brad Pitt would have been a better bet.

OT: Orlando Bloom + Facial Hair = Eew.
The Pirates of the Caribbean thread is that way. >>>> There will be no Will Turner-bashing in my Princess Bride thread.

How well do you know The Princess Bride? Find out.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

The Pirates of the Caribbean thread is that way. >>>> There will be no Will Turner-bashing in my Princess Bride thread.

How well do you know The Princess Bride? Find out.
20/20
the last one kinda threw me off for a second but i got it!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, I forgot to say I got 19/20 on the quiz. I couldn't remember whether the wheelbarrow or the holocaust cloak fit in that line, but I know the wheelbarrow came first in the movie.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.