VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chocolate chip cookies just deflated!!!
They were looking perfect and when I took them out of the oven they deflated. So depressing. Why does this happen???

Anyone have an amazing, fool prove chocolate chip cookie recipe?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm not positive, but I always thought its because whatever you baked didn't cook long enough and solidify or because of a baking soda/powder issue. I've heard over-mixing can do it too.

Anywho, this is my favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/crispy-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I make the appropriate vegan substitutions (2 egg replacers for the egg/egg white, margarine, etc). I do occasionally over bake them, but thats my own fault. I try to take them out slightly before I think they're done because they'll still cook a tiny bit right after. I do like to make big cookies though. :p

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
this can happen if they are underdone.

it also can happen if they cool down too quickly, a trick is to turn the oven off and barely prop it open to let the hot air escape slowly, this way the cookies can cool down slowly

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OHHH I took them right out. Good to know. I will retry.

And do you all use margarine? Or vegan shortening?

My favorites so far are the ones from the Joy Of Vegan Baking. But they also come out very thin.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I don't have one favorite one. I think I like using Robin Robertson's, or Julie Hasson's from Vegan diner.....I've been making more oatmeal choc chip though if I bake for a little nutrition boost. Also, the cokies in Vegan cookie Connoiseur are really good, and one of the choc chips uses oil instead of solid fats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts