VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know she has no idea what is going on in her little 10 month old body and she's confused, but the incessant purring meow (pddddmm...pdddmmm...pdmmmm...pdmmm) is driving me nuts! I want to come out of heat so I can get her spayed!
And that occasional howling mWOWWW is a little disconcerting in the middle of the night. And she's so sweet and affectionate usually but it's turned into creepy, horny affection. I'm just disturbed all around.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sorry, cats in heat are a pain.

You can get her spayed while she's in heat and that's typically what I'd recommend. If not bred cats will basically go through multiple estrus cycles with only short breaks in between. Breeding seasons for cats around where I am is anywhere from February though to mid/late fall. Talk to your vet but they should be able to do the surgery at anytime and then you'll both be much happier.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

You can get her spayed while she's in heat and that's typically what I'd recommend.
This is contrary to everything I have been told by vets.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Oh my...make sure she doesn't get out! This happened with my Mandi when she was 10 months old. We were moving in to a new house and one of our friends who was helping left the door opened...she got out and I ended up with six cats! That was 17 years ago. I loved having them all but six was a bit much, lol. I still have two of them, Thor and Cybil. Good luck and LOCK THE DOOR!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
My brother's cat is like that: the purr is incessant, but also nearly silent. You have to hold the cat to your ear to hear it, but it never stops, ever. I figure it inhaled some water once and something in there shorted out. His cat is male though, go figure.

The yowling does get annoying, the neighbourhood cats like to sit on the fence right outside my window and do that. I'd hose them but it's not worth getting up for, so I just think angry thoughts at them and maybe shine a light on them in the hope they feel exposed and go away.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

This is contrary to everything I have been told by vets.
Really? We (2 clinics I worked at) always did in heat cats if asked but required dogs to not be in heat for a spay. Cats are so rapid in their cycles it can be hard to get them in for just that brief break in between. Not to mention the length of time that their potential breeding season lasts with cycle after cycle throughout the whole time. It is a slightly more complicated surgery than a cat who is not in heat (increased blood supply, etc) but cat spays are pretty straightforward regardless.

ETA: I wonder if it's a regional thing? From just a quick check through some references it seems that there's not a significant higher risk if spayed while in heat but it might take slightly longer so be slightly more expensive. It might also be that the places I worked at were booked solid for non-emergency surgeries for several weeks in advance so scheduling the surgery while simultaneously matching up the cycling wouldn't always be possible.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's killing me is I love my baby girl and she is so sweet and loving in the first place. I love our mornings of sweet head bumps and kisses on her cheeks. But I cant do that right now cause it feels creepy!!! And I don't want to take a chance of hurting her, read bad reviews of spaying kitties in heat, and I can survive one heat, and take her to the vet after. I have a great vet, that allows walk ins.
My poor male dog is at a loss, too. He seems to think of her as a little kitty to be protected, a little sis, but since she started rubbing up on him like that, Fletcher looks at me like, "Uh...Mom...whats happening?" And she'll be in another room meowing away, and Fletcher always goes to check on her like he's worried. All of us are up in arms!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

I want to come out of heat so I can get her spayed!
I thought this thread was about your cat?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I thought this thread was about your cat?
yeah yeah....mistype!! LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Oh boy, a cat in heat can drive the humans nuts! SO glad you know not to let her out! Good luck.
I've got great music going, about to go to bed, laying on the couch, and all I hear besides music is, "mmmmmmfdddddd....ppmmmddd..,ffffmmmpppdddd." My little girl is in heat 100% , poor baby.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

The yowling does get annoying, the neighbourhood cats like to sit on the fence right outside my window and do that. I'd hose them but it's not worth getting up for, so I just think angry thoughts at them and maybe shine a light on them in the hope they feel exposed and go away.
I'd strongly urge you to look into whatever spay/neuter services are available for stray and feral cats in your area and to trap them and have them altered. It's kitten season and there will be a lot more misery soon.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that it can be dangerous to spay a cat in heat. You should ask your vet about that, but if you have any doubts, then wait until heat season is over and get it done IMMEDIATELY.

And be vigilant about keeping her inside.

Poor kitty.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:

I've got great music going, about to go to bed, laying on the couch, and all I hear besides music is, "mmmmmmfdddddd....ppmmmddd..,ffffmmmpppdddd." My little girl is in heat 100% , poor baby.
Oh girl, I feel your pain. My Abby went through one heat season years ago, and it was unforgettable. We called her "the shameless hussy"!
Our vet wouldn't agree to spaying her in heat. He stated it could be done,but is risky since the uterus is swollen during that time making it the surgery complicated.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

My poor male dog is at a loss, too. He seems to think of her as a little kitty to be protected, a little sis, but since she started rubbing up on him like that, Fletcher looks at me like, "Uh...Mom...whats happening?" And she'll be in another room meowing away, and Fletcher always goes to check on her like he's worried. All of us are up in arms!!
Yeah about that....you think you're disturbed now by her behavior? Just wait till you walk in on the dog humping a cat.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

We called her "the shameless hussy"!
So freaking funny...I literally laughed out loud....

Well she seems better this morning. Short cycle, I guess. She is strictly an indoor kitty (too many dangerous dogs in my neighbourhood) so no worries about getting preggers.
As I type this, she started her meow monologue again. Guess it wasn't such a short cycle.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

Really? We (2 clinics I worked at) always did in heat cats if asked but required dogs to not be in heat for a spay. Cats are so rapid in their cycles it can be hard to get them in for just that brief break in between. Not to mention the length of time that their potential breeding season lasts with cycle after cycle throughout the whole time. It is a slightly more complicated surgery than a cat who is not in heat (increased blood supply, etc) but cat spays are pretty straightforward regardless.

ETA: I wonder if it's a regional thing? From just a quick check through some references it seems that there's not a significant higher risk if spayed while in heat but it might take slightly longer so be slightly more expensive. It might also be that the places I worked at were booked solid for non-emergency surgeries for several weeks in advance so scheduling the surgery while simultaneously matching up the cycling wouldn't always be possible.
Maybe? Granted it's been twenty years since I had a female kitty who had to be spayed, so maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I have trapped and brought in cats during all stages of their life cycle to be altered, including during heat. An experienced vet should be able to handle that.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
We spay cats in heat all the time at our spay & neuter clinic. Dogs, too. We have extremely few complications - and these are almost 100% with feral cats (whose ages, health & nutritional histories are unknown). Certainly follow your vet's recommendations, but if she's making you too crazy, spaying her now would not be unusual. Also - if she gets out, spay her promptly upon her return.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maddie has been sleeping all afternoon and I'm so afraid to wake her. I don't want to listen to her uncomfortable little mews. Not only that, she follows me around the house EVERYwhere I go and rubs her head on my ankles while mewing and treading in place.
I'm not a cat, Maddie! I can't help you with this! Lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts