VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,after yesterdays happyclappyness I have crashed...I'm scared..worried,...embarrased. you name it.

I KNOW I *am* overweight. I'm also aware of my ideal weight range. However I keep getting conflicting info (from docs) about how serious it is.

A couple of trusted (by me) docs insists that while I am overweight, as everything else is fine I should not stress as its down to personal choice. In other words I'm not killing myself. But the uni doc here says I'm very obese.

Fat, yea I'd happily buy that, but I didn't think I had hit obese.

Dunno if anyone can give me their opinion but I'm

5'1

134 lbs

or

155cm

61 kg

please be honest, but don't take the p*ss out of me because it has taken me months to get the courage to post this.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I have no idea how tall i am, but I weigh 70kg, and that's nothing on my back. I don't think you have much to worry about being 61.

I'll check out bodypositive!!! Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
here is an interesting letter, penned by an "overweight" woman who was feeling fed up with the way that she was being treated at the hands of most doctors. i found it on that body positive site. all bold emphasis is my own.

Quote:
Dear Doctor (or other Health Professional),

I am a fat person who has come to you for treatment of a specific health problem. I expect and demand adequate medical attention. Please give me the same type of examination and treatment that you would give a thin person and do not automatically assume that my problem is weight-related.

I have not come to you regarding my weight, because I know that there is

no known cure for "obesity" (I have put obesity in quotes because weight

is a continuum, and as long as my personal weight causes me no direct medical problems, I refuse to define my body weight as a disease). All existing diets and weight loss techniques work only 1-2% of the time on any permanent basis. Since I have wasted much of my life on numerous unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, I have reached the logical conclusion that I am one of the 98% for whom dieting doesn't work. I refuse to endanger my health by taking any further part in the yo-yo syndrome of losing and regaining weight.

I did not come to you for a lecture. Please spend your time instead reviewing the medical research on "obesity" and dieting (or voluntary starvation). Re-examine your assumptions. Studies show that on average fat people eat the same same amounts and types of food as "normal" (i.e. thin) people. Most longevity statistics compiled have been done on fat Americans who have spent a lifetime dieting and living in a stressful, disciminatory environment. Yes despite studies such as the one done in Roseto, PA., only one factor (the fat) is blamed for people's ill health.

Please throw out any height-weight charts you own, especially ones compiled by insurance companies to justify collecting more money from fat

people. The Framingham report has show how inaccurate these charts are. At any rate, I expect my health to be evaluated on an individual basis by you and not by such a piece of paper.

Always use a large size (42 cm.) blood pressure cuff on me and any fat

patient. Dr. George Mann has reported that a standard size cuff can give a

falsely high reading of 8-12mm of mercury. This inaccuracy alone accounts for the large part of the statistics linking high weight with high blood pressure.

If you are unable to agree to these conditions, I shall take my business

elsewhere.

Your Fat Patient,

****"Dear Doctor (or other Health Professional)" is from the May 1981, Issue #4, of "F.A.T. - Feminist Fat Activists Together." It was submitted/published anonymously, and may be copied, distributed and used for free distribution and personal use. This statement should be left on when copying/distributing, crediting F.A.T. - Feminist Fat Activists Together, Issue #4, May 1981 anytime when copying & distributing it.****

·
Registered
0 Posts
Schoska,

You know that I always tell the truth and the way that it is (or at least, the way it is according to me), so I hope you will trust me and take what I'm about to say as an answer to your question and in no way a means of telling you what decisions to make.

First, very obese, my backside!

If you calculate your BMI (body mass index) it comes out to 25.3.

Less than 18.5 underweight

18.5 - 24.9 healthy weight

25 - 29.9 overweight

30 or more obese

So, technically, you are slightly overweight. I'd agree with the first doctor. If you are eating well, getting enough iron/protein/carbs/healthy fats/fiber/calcium/etc etc and so forth, then don't fret about it.

I'm not a supporter of the "be proud to be fat" groups, who tell people to not worry about their health and just be big. Of course, there are risks with being above the ideal weight for your height/size. However, I would not class you as fat. In fact, I'm not even sure you're overweight. You are on the fence. And it's ok to be on the fence.

My suggestion?

Look at how you eat and your activity level. Working out 2hr day is not for everyone, but do you get at least 20 minutes of a moderate exercise 3x weekly? (ie brisk walking).

Instead of focusing on the weight, perhaps look at your lifestyle. If it is healthy and active, then no worries at all about being 0.3% above the ideal. If you are inactive and don't eat well, then focus on changing those parts of your life. If your weight drops, then you have made yourself healthier. If your weight stays the same, then you know you've made yourself healthier, but your habits were not affecting your weight.

Hugs hun.

·
Registered
0 Posts
btw, my BMI is 25.1 and my doctor thinks I have a very healthy lifestyle and that my weight is higher simply because I am a little more muscular then the "average" person.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

I'm not a supporter of the "be proud to be fat" groups, who tell people to not worry about their health and just be big. Of course, there are risks with being above the ideal weight for your height/size.
wow, i totally disagree with this. i also think you are basing your opinion of "proud to be fat" groups on misinformation. there is no reliable study that definitively proves there are health risks inherently tied to being fat. also, no "proud to be fat" groups (that i know of) tell people to not worry about their health. these groups strive to empower people in their goal of health, fitness and a sense of pride and self-worth no matter what their size. please visit the bodypositive site, or the naafa website, to read more about their mission statements, goals, and the information they disseminate.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I knew of the site before you mentioned it.

If she were 5'1 and 400 pounds, I would have said the same thing I did.

The Canadian Heart Association, Canadian diebetics Assoication, the dietitians of canada, etc all advocate doing what you can sensibly to keep your weight in a healthy level. I don't see anything wrong with that. If you do all the right things and you're overweight that is different then not doing all the right things and being overweight. Just do the right things and let your weight find its place. But you need to look at your life and see if you are doing the right things.

And, for the record, I don't think she needs to lose weight. Nor do I think being thin is the answer to everyone's health problems, too.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

The Canadian Heart Association, Canadian diebetics Assoication, the dietitians of canada, etc all advocate doing what you can sensibly to keep your weight in a healthy level. I don't see anything wrong with that.
respectfully, i must point out that all of the health "associations" you speak of base their positions on studies that are inconclusive, corrollarly and prove no definitive link between being fat and being unhealthy. to use an example i've used elsewhere, if a signifigant number of fat people contracted syphillis, and died, there would then be a link between being fat and dying of syphillis. all of the studies done on "overweight" and "obesity" are statistical analysis; they do not show causation, only correlation, which are two very different things.

another thing that is rarely discussed in these "obese" studies is how many of the participants have been part of the dieting culture during the course of their lives, and how the yo-yoing weight loss and weight gain can affect a person's overall long term health. some studies show that perpetually dieting and then re-gaining is actually harder on a body than remaining at a steady, high weight. and considering that 98% of diets fail, you can pretty much rest assured that just about every fat person has subjected themselves to this type of body-harm throughout their lives, thus skewing the results of any obesity study they participate in.

my point all along has been to show that we need to talk to one another about the facts behind fatness, so that our medical practioners treat us from an informed standpoint, and so that the rest of the world can treat everyone with respect, and so that we can all live a life free of prejudice.

it does not sound to me as though schoska is in any kind of health distress whatsoever as a result of her weight. so for a doctor to insist that she try to lose weight, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with her, is frustrating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think she should diet, either. Dieting sucks. If she thinks she should change her lifestyle, then do that. She asked a question and I provided a simple answer.

I did not mean to offend you, which it seems I did.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
nope, i wasn't offended. just offering a different viewpoint. we do that here sometimes.

your information was definitely helpful. i just wanted to address the other things i read in your posts. sorry if i wasn't more clear.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wahhh! Don't fight people!

I guess I agree with..well all the posts.

I do want to be in that "ideal" range because I think I would benefit from it mentally, and physically. But I also know that if I was suddenly 45kg it wouldn't automatically make me happy. There are other things going on that are effecting me emotionally.

I am indeed working on eating more healthily and apart from the odd bad day I'm becoming more active. I've managed to lose about 15kgs over the past year so although I'm doing it slowly, I am making progress.

It is just..frustrating for me. I knew I was overweight but scaremongering (sp?) - if that is what it was- was not constructive for me. Especially as some parts of me seem to be naturally..big. I've been fighting this since I before I was 10 and even when I just stopped eating, I indeed lost some weight , but I just seemed to become..less wobby rather than skinny even though I excersised my ass off.

I'm rambling, I'm sorry.

But thank you for all your input. It has been both motivating, and comforting.

*hugs to all*

·
Registered
392 Posts
5'1" and 134 lbs???? obese???? c'mon, I don't even know if I would call that fat. If you are eating well and exercising, then you are fine. I think the most important thing is to find a stable weight and be healthy at it...

Coming from someone who knows the anxiety of body-hate, I sympathize...but try to put it out of your mind as much as possible. Don't count calories...what I do sometimes is record what I eat (not amounts per se) to make sure I am getting all my nutrients, but whatever you do don't count calories...the most important thing for me is to workout because then I love how my body looks healthy and toned, regardless of size....okay, that is my rant. Love yourself and take care, Schoska, you are BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

respectfully, i must point out that all of the health "associations" you speak of base their positions on studies that are inconclusive, corrollarly and prove no definitive link between being fat and being unhealthy.

Kreeli,

Wow... and again I get confirmed... Statistics is by far the most widely misunderstood, and dangerously mis- and abused scientific tool of all. Everybody seems to be a natural statistics expert. And then stuff like... People getting concerned when they hear that "50 percent of american schoolchildren have below average reading and writing skills"...

Don't get me wrong, but your arguments dismissing the statistics are very similar to those of the beef and dairy industry when they claim that no studies exist that show that meat or milk is unhealthy. The same arguments were used by the tobacco industry in the 50's and 60's.

I think when it comes to obesity and health problems, the writing on the wall is about as clear as with smoking. As of the studies, I think there are more than enough credible ones by prestigious institutions. The point you make about the effects of yoyo dieting is valid, but any serious researcher would make sure he takes such sideeffects into account - you are not the first person to think about this, you know.

Now is it possible to be obese and "healthy"? Sure, after all, if somebody has no detectable signs of any disease, he/she is declared healthy. But this would clearly be a rare exception (for every healthy obese person there are many many more sick ones). And not to forget: this person would still be more likely to get sick in later life than others.

This has nothing to do with prejudice. Rather, this is about as close to a scientific fact as you will ever get. Yes, it is not a "definitive link" nor "causation" - no statistics will ever claim any of these. But it is a "strong link", which means that we cannot ignore it.

p.s. BTW Schoska, I don't think that 5'1/134 really qualifies as 'obese' (i.e. health threateningly overweight), far from it...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That dosen't sound obese to me Schoska. I'm 26, 5'4" and am a size 14. I don't know how much I weigh, I don't get on scales, it's just a number and I'd rather not get hung up on it. My body type is very curvy but very muscular. If you feel like you're not getting enough physical activity, try something non-strenous. I have a yoga DVD which I like. I can't stand running/ jumping around and getting all sweaty ( at least not with exercise!) so yoga has been perfect for toning up and building strength. If you're eating a balanced diet and getting some activity, I wouldn't worry about your numerical weight, go by how you feel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree...go by how you feel. I threw out my scale about 4 weeks ago. It was so friggin' liberating I can't even begin to tell you. I was aquiring an unhealthy obsession with weighing myself. Not good. I'm 5-7 and who know's what I weigh?? I wear a size 16 and I've never felt more sexier and secure than I do today. I'm working out so that I can tone up and be more healthy..not necessarily to loose weight. Hey, that'll probably be one of the secondary effects though. So be it..if I do I do if I don't I don't. My peeps still love me and I love them. I'm totally happy from the inside. I go to the doc every 3 months for a check up (I'm on cancer watch) and my doc says I doing wonderfully. My BMI is down, although not at a healthy level just yet, but I'll get there. The point I'm trying to make is that yes, you can be healthy and be bigger than like a size 4. And your size doesn't not equal your worth. Where the mind goes the body will follow.

Word: Big Women Are Beautiful *hugs* to all my sista's

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
First of all, Schoska: enjoy life, eat healthy, exercise and toss the scale. Go by how you feel inside

Let me also address the statistics. It took years for the researchers to prove the smoking CAUSES cancer because they relied on correlational studies. It's unethical to take two groups of babies, make one group smoke when they become teenagers and make one group non-smokers and then measure the rates of cancer etc, years later. They had to use a statistical technique called statistical control where they do studies and look at every possible variable that may effect cancer rates. For example the cigarrette companiesalalways said that stress caused the cancer. Then you have to control for these effects and see if smoking does cause cancer after these effects have been controlled for. Researchers are in the process of doing the same with obesity and high bloodpressure and other diseases. I am pretty postitive that in the next decade, it will be proven that obesity causes health problems. I do however wtih Kreeli that yo-yo dieting is problematic and can be more damaging to one's health than the obesity. I believe that there is too much prejudice in this world towards those who are obese. There's a vicious cycle that begins when people who are obese are laughed at and then they turn to food for comfort. We need to break that cycle.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You are not very obese.

You are not obese.

You are not fat.

you might possibly be a tiny bit overweight if you have small bones, but I expect you are gorgeous as you are and I'd advise you to forget all about it and enjoy yourself. Exercise is overated- what you need is sex and dancing. [IMO anyway, but I'm plump and succulent.
And what Kreeli said, she's cool]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts