VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to locate this anywhere, at least in the supermarkets/grocery stores. Is it also called something else, or do I need to go to a health foods store to buy it?

It has a cheesy flavour, doesn't it? Is it horribly expensive?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
You can usually get nut yeast in the bulk bins of health food stores. Most of the time it will be Red Star Nutritional Yeast Vegetarian Support Formula.

You can also find Bob's Red Mill nutritional yeast, which is sold all over Canada, I think.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Angel-

I live in Canada, and get Bob's Red Mill brand at any of the Loblaw's Corp stores (Zehrs, Fortinos, Superstore, Loblaws...)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, thanks guys. We do have Supervalues here (aka Superstore) so I'll check it out next time I go. I don't recall seeing any nutritional yeast, but it may have easily been overlooked.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's called savoury yeast over here and it's only at the organic store. The engevita one doesn't have B12 though so if you want it to help with your B12 supplement that one won't. The Red Star one is B12 enriched though. So is the Lotus brand one (but I don't know if you get that one over there). I don't know how much is safe to eat. I know that you need approx 2 tablespoons to meet a days B12 levels so at least that much is okay and I have loads of recipes that call for like 1/2 a cup so I don't think it can do too much damage (although I find it tends to go through me in large amounts but a lot of stuff does)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts