VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many mentions of nutritional yeast. My health food store has something called "brewer's yeast". Is this the same thing or not?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Brewer's yeast is not the same! The Nutritional Yeast is grown on molasses and is tasty....

It is usually in the bulk bins in the HFS. I love the stuff.

The kind most people buy is made by Redstar and watch the other brands, sometimes they sneak whey in it. This happened to me and I noticed it when I got in the car and I went back in and returned it. It also had honey in it and I think the brand was Twinlab, who I think makes vitamins.

Shannon

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
do a search on this message board for other postings about nutritional yeast. i have posted a few times with tons of info and a link to a website where you can order it online if you can't find it in your store.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I managed to find nutritional yeast in the bulk section. It is yellowish flaky powdery stuff, right? I tried some sprinkled on my spaghetti at lunch, and I mixed some in when I was making bean burgers for supper. I couldn't really taste it -- am I supposed to? What do you folks use it for?

·
Registered
83 Posts
At local tiny HFS the bin had a sign saying "Brewers Yeast"

then a smaller sign saying "Red Starr Nutritional Yeast"

This was on the same bin. I thought these were different?

Are the signs incorrect?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And does anyone know how many calories are in nutritional yeast? Say, per teaspoon or tablespoon?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daisy

Ok I managed to find nutritional yeast in the bulk section. It is yellowish flaky powdery stuff, right? I tried some sprinkled on my spaghetti at lunch, and I mixed some in when I was making bean burgers for supper. I couldn't really taste it -- am I supposed to? What do you folks use it for?
on top of popcorn yummy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.