VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just discovered nutrional yeast on popcorn (thanks to the other thread): yummy

and i've used it to make pesto and creamy sauce for lasagne, but what are some other snack ideas for it?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I make grilled peanut butter, nutritional yeast, tomato, and dijon mustard sandwiches. It's actually quite good, provided you are a bit heavy handed with the peanut butter and yeast and use the mustard sparingly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i put a scoop of nut. yeast in breakfast smoothies. i use it a lot to make vegan "cheeses" and gravies. it's also good just sprinkled over steamed veggies.

i have a question about nutritional yeast: do all brands contain B12 or is it just the red star brand? i have no idea what brand of nut. yeast i buy; i just scoop it out of a bulk bin at my HFS and the brand isn't specified. i guess i could ask them about the brand (duh) but i was just wondering if most nut. yeast flakes i encounter are likely to have B12. are there even other brands or is it all red star and i am being silly for worrying about this? anyone know?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miss gulch

i use it a lot to make vegan "cheeses" and gravies.
I also like to use it while making vegan gravies. In fact, I just made a great gravy/stroganoff sauce with soymilk, veg broth, nut. yeast, flour, mushrooms, and onions last night. It was awsome!

On VegWeb.com there are countless recipes that call for nutritional yeast. My favorite is for biscuits (I missed them horribly after becoming vegan.. these taste just like the non-vegan kinds) Here's a link to the recipe

I also have a question. Is Brewer's Yeast and the nutritional yeast that you all use the same thing? It says "Nutritional Yeast Flakes" on the container.. but I'm still unsure that it's the same stuff.

Brewer's yeast is what I've been using all along (I haven't been able to find a container labeled "Nutritional Yeast" yet... but again.. I live in the middle of nowhere and I doubt that anybody from around here uses it to the extent that I do.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miss gulch

no, brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast are two totally different yeasts.
Oh well. I'll use up what I have right now and travel the 2 hours to the nearest healthfood store to see if they have it.

Living in northern Minnesota sucks.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
You can buy red star online at www.chreese.com last I looked. Here's what I posted on this topic about a month ago:

Here's what I have learned about nutritional yeast...this is copied and pasted from another message board I belong to. I don't have much info on brewers yeast.

It has been confusing to me in the past, and now I think I understand a lot more about nutritional yeast. This comes from "The Uncheese Cookbook" by Joanne Stepaniak.

Nutritional yeast, saccharomyces cerevisaie, is a natural whole plant grown as a food crop. It is prized for its delicious, cheesy taste and high nutritional content. It is a reliable source of high-quality, easily assimilated protien and is the formost natural shource of B-complex vitamins. It is easy to recognize because of its yellow color which ranges from light tan to bright gold. It is an inactive yeast which means it has no fermenting power as does the live yeast used in leavening and brewing, rendering it more digestible. Nutritional yeast is NOT dried torula, a yeast like organism which is grown on waste products from the wood pulp industry, nor is it brewers yeast or baking yeast. None of these products should ever be substituted in recipes calling for nutritional yeast.

Some brands of nutritional yeast have been combined with WHEY, a by product of cheese processing. Pure nutrional yeast does not contain whey or other dairy products, so read the product labels carefully.

When kept in a cool dry place, the physical characteristics and nutritive values of nutritional yeast remain unchanged for long periods.

Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula is one good brand to look for. It's not available at any of the places that I shop, so I've found a suitable replacement. I used to get mine out of the bulk bins at my local co-op but then I learned that it wasn't supplying nearly the same nutritional value as the kind meant for vegetarian support. I've also run into the kind that is made with whey, so you really do have to be careful.

The kind that I buy is from a company called "KAL" It comes in a big yellow canister, similar to a coffee tin. It was less than $7.00 for 12 oz (by weight). I found it in the supplements section of Whole Foods, near the rest of the vegetarian and B-12 stuff - on the lowest shelf because of the size of the canister I suppose.

It says on the package that it is grown on molassas.

I use mine in tofu scramble, I sprinkle it on veggies, I sprinkle it on toast, popcorn, pasta, rice, etc. The cookbook I mentioned above is really helpful too.

According to the package, a serving is one scoop...the scoop looks like it's about a quarter cup?? I'm not certian though. One scoop provides (here's only a sample of a few nutritional values)

130% of B12

480% of B6

60% of Folic acid

640% of B1

570% of B2

and the list goes on and on!!

Whew! Hopefully I've answered some of your questions!

Good luck!

-Sally

PS...this company has a website and they sell the Red Star vegetarian support online.

http://www.chreese.com/index.php

You can read this whole thread at:

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ritional+yeast

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I would advise against buying your nutritional yeast from the bulk bins. I used to do that before I realized there was no B12 in it...

·
Registered
0 Posts
wow, SallyK, thank you SO MUCH for all that info! i am going to contact my HFS and find out more about the type they sell in the bulk bin.

thanks again!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i was wondering about the taste differance between the barands... i have a big tin of the KAL nutr. yeast and i find it to be well, pretty yucky. does the red star taste any better? ( i think they may have it at the co op, and it would really be great to find one thats somewhat palitable, i want to like it i really do)but after tasting the one from KAL i just don't know if i want to put the $ into buying anymore. oh, yeah, btw i got the granules because they didn't have the flakes,...does that make a big differance?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I am just totally lost about nutritional yeast. I have tried four different "cheeze" recipes using this stuff, and it always comes out tasting like, well, nutritional yeast. The stuff smells like stinky feet and doesn't taste much better (um, not that I've tasted stinky feet...).

I just don't get it. I read about so many people just loving the stuff and am still not sure if I'm getting the right stuff or making it right. I tried making a quesadilla once with a "cheeze" sauce and had to throw it away. It tastes a little sour to me.

Am I using too much? I tried it on popcorn with a little Bragg's and it didn't taste too bad - but still, it tasted sour. and stinky.

Was it "bad"? Is it supposed to smell like that? I like the smell of yeast but this stuff smells - sour-ish... I have used a couple of recipes from the 'uncheese' cookbook and didn't like the results - I even tried one of the recipes that uses ground cashews & yeast. What a waste of cashews... (my favorites)
I'm disappointed as I would really like to enjoy this stuff (I feel like I'm missing out!) but am totally clueless as to what I'm doing wrong. Or maybe I just don't like it.

amy

·
Registered
0 Posts
stellamew- HUGE difference between granules and flakes. i don't know that a lot of recipes that call for flakes will work properly if you use granules.

OregonAmy- it does have a slightly sour taste, i guess. i highly recommend all of Kreeli's faux cheese recipes at www.veganmania.com. Each one is delish (but the Kinda Cheese is my fave) and i don't think that the yeast taste is overpowering in any of them. i have used recipes of lesser calibur in the past where the yeast taste was pretty eewy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I made a Veg Mc Muffin today and it was great sprinkled with Nutritional Yeast and I am having another tommorow.

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/75874.html

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/72097.html

cashew slicing cheese, this is so good!

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/72231.html

Better than Chreeze Clone

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/72032.html

Deb's Slicing Cheese

She has a lot of recipes and I use the Nutritional Yeast Flakes from the bin, Red Star Brand.

Enjoy!

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Good information about nutritional yeast, sallyk.

OregonAmy, it sounds to me like you just don't like it...

to me it does have a sour taste, but so does cheese. I used to love my cheese the sharper, the better.

Maybe you could put it in things to hide the flavor, like spaghetti sauce etc.?

I agree that the cheese made with nutritional yeast tastes a lot like nutritional yeast, luckily I happen to like the flavor...but no, it is not like "real" cheese.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cheeze with nutritional yeast doesn't taste much like cheese to me, but fortunately, I love nutritional yeast. I put it on all sorts of things. Took me a while to get used to it, though. Kind of like tofu--took me a few times with that, too.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I was the same way. It was hard to get used to the smell at first. Now I really enjoy it. I also us KAL. My favorite thing to put it on is scrambled tofu with portobello mushrooms, shallots, and red peppers. YUMMY! And, of course, POPCORN!

I have discovered a way to make it taste even better...I mix it up with a little spectrum spread and put it on pasta or a bagel or toast...for some reason the taste combined with the taste of spectrum spread really makes it taste cheesy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
n. yeast is delicious on toast, baked potatoes, cottage cheese in all soups, stews and sauces. A great sandwich is toasted bread with tofu mushed up w/yeast garlic powder to taste, make a spread put on toast and top w/your choice of sprouts. I have been eating yeast for almost 30 yrs. and my daughter who is 25 LOVES it. We can't find it readily in the area we live so when we go upstate or to Vt. we stock up .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've dropped a handful of nutritional yeast in my vegan alfredo sauce. It added that buttery richness that I was missing. Delicious.

Also, I add a handful when I kneed pizza dough. Just for flavouring, its nice.

I never measure the stuff. I just throw some in when I feel like it, or when I think of using it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts