VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I LOVE nutritional yeast
When we started eating it about six months ago, it quickly became one of our favorite foods. But now that I've mostly eliminated dairy, I find that I'm eating a lot more of it. I might use it in both breakfast and dinner, generally using it where I would have previously used cheese. For example, for breakfast this morning I put about 3 tablespoons in with my tofu scramble, and then tonight I'm making the mac & trees recipe with cheezy nooch sauce from Appetite for Reduction. Is it alright to eat this much nutritional yeast?

Also, I'm totally surprised in how easy it's been to cut out eggs and dairy from my diet! I really miss my poached eggs, but surprisingly I don't really care about not eating cheese. I've eaten probably 90% vegan for the past two weeks, and I feel good. My husband has noticed that I seem healthier, and I think my skin has cleared up a bit, too. Last week or the week before I posted a thread in the vegetarian forum asking why people didn't go vegan-I wasn't trying to start a flame war, but the thread did get shut down pretty quickly! Someone linked me to an older (flame-filled) thread about the same subject though, which more or less pushed me towards my decision to go vegan. I don't know if I will end up 100% vegan, but I do definitely feel good about eliminating the majority of animal products from my diet and life ♥♥♥

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I think it's fine. Hell, since going vegan I've pretty much given myself license to eat hummus and Oreos as much as I want (not together
). As long as your overall diet is healthy and balanced, there's nothing wrong with indulging in certain things that you like. Giving myself a little latitude on stuff like that helps me stay vegan. Especially when you're in a transitional period, which it sounds like you might be, I think exploring yummy vegan food is really important.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
That is awesome that you've been eating mostly vegan for two weeks! Congrats!

We sprinkle nooch on just about everything and make a nooch sauce about once every week. So far we're alright! I've heard of someone getting niacin flush (they explained it as short-term hives) from eating tons of nooch, niacin being one of the B-vitamins. Seems like a rare occurrence though. If you're worried, maybe experiment with other types of sauces like a nooch-free tahini sauce. Good luck!

*Note: Nooch = slang for nutritional yeast

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oreos are vegan?! BEST. NEWS. EVER. And yeah, I hear you on the letting yourself indulge on certain things, too. I am somewhat of a big girl (~175lbs.) so I am a little concerned about going overboard, but I feel like if I am not putting cheese on my sandwich why can't I have a little extra avocado? The first cookbook I ordered was Appetite for Reduction, but I just ordered the Veganomicon last night (because I wanted brownies and the closest ready-made vegan brownies are 2 hours from my house) and I'm really looking forward to experimenting with all of the new/different things I will try now.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Awww, now I want oreos! Are you in U.S.? They're vegan in America, not so sure about other places.
I've only seen Red Star nut. yeast, and it lists B12. I've heard they're not all supplemented with it, so check the label. Soymilks, cereals, even Stride gum has B12.
Check out the threads on B12, they're full of good info.

I love your avatar, BTW!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Most of the oreos are vegan in Australia. The mini oreos, the oreo sticks are NOT vegan. The flavoured ones are vegan.

I love yeast flakes, I wouldn't worry about having too much of it!!!! I have a lot of yeast flakes and still take a B12 supplement, it can not hurt right?

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Check out this website:
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/vegansources
Lots of advice on things I didn't think of. Like B12 losing potentcy stored in clear containers (like my yeast).
I was curious how much Red Star had, since my container said B12, but was smeared.
I think I'll get a sublingual to take a couple times a week, just to be sure. Better yet, I'll get tested.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I take a B12 supplement even though I consume fortified foods like nooch. I consider it insurance. Especially after reading about how some people have developed deficiencies, I definitely do not want to take any chances.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

That is awesome that you've been eating mostly vegan for two weeks! Congrats!

We sprinkle nooch on just about everything and make a nooch sauce about once every week. So far we're alright! I've heard of someone getting niacin flush (they explained it as short-term hives) from eating tons of nooch, niacin being one of the B-vitamins. Seems like a rare occurrence though. If you're worried, maybe experiment with other types of sauces like a nooch-free tahini sauce. Good luck!

*Note: Nooch = slang for nutritional yeast
So THAT's why I get ichy/red knees, elbows, and hands when I eat lots of nooch sauce! I thought I was allergic to one of the spices. Yay, thank you for posting this. It only lasts like 15 minutes for me so if there's no other side-effects to that I can power through it, lmao.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I take a B12 supplement even though I consume fortified foods like nooch. I consider it insurance. Especially after reading about how some people have developed deficiencies, I definitely do not want to take any chances.
I agree because the damage is irreversible. I'd rather be safe then sorry!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.