VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the years of vegetarianism and veganism under my belt, there's one thing that I never really tried...nutritional yeast! I hear about making cheese sauces with it and whatnot, but the one time I smelled it I thought it smelled awful >_<. But I know it's used on one of my favorite snacks : Tings. So there has to be something tasty about it that I just haven't gotten to yet.

So someone tell me...do you like it or not? What kind of things do you personally use it on? Care to share recipes?
 

·
...
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
I have it on toast quite often.

I put it in soup......it's good on baked beans.

I'm not keen on it in vegan cheese sauce though. I'd rather put in Cheezly.
 

·
Give peas a chance
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
Make sure you get nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast. Big difference in terms of taste.

I like it. I'll sprinkle a little on steamed broccoli or cauliflower. It's a quick, low fat way to add cheesy flavor. I'll also mix with a little paprika and salt and sprinkle it on air-popped popcorn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Make sure you get nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast. Big difference in terms of taste.

I like it. I'll sprinkle a little on steamed broccoli or cauliflower. It's a quick, low fat way to add cheesy flavor. I'll also mix with a little paprika and salt and sprinkle it on air-popped popcorn.
Does it look similar to brewers yeast? Just asking because I keep brewers yeast around to help with my milk supply (I'm breastfeeding) and if it looks similar I need to be sure to label them lol.
 

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
Joined
·
836 Posts
Can't live without the nooch. I love it on just about everything. Popcorn, pasta, toast, chili, I like making 'noocho' cheez for tortilla chip dipping.
 

·
Give peas a chance
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Does it look similar to brewers yeast? Just asking because I keep brewers yeast around to help with my milk supply (I'm breastfeeding) and if it looks similar I need to be sure to label them lol.
I think nutritional yeast is generally more yellow, and brewers yeast is a light brown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Does it look similar to brewers yeast? Just asking because I keep brewers yeast around to help with my milk supply (I'm breastfeeding) and if it looks similar I need to be sure to label them lol.
It tastes very similar to Tings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I like nutritional yeast in seitan sausages. Yum yum yum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
I like it, but only for a select few applications. I like it in vegan mac and cheese recipes and on plain pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Does it look similar to brewers yeast? Just asking because I keep brewers yeast around to help with my milk supply (I'm breastfeeding) and if it looks similar I need to be sure to label them lol.
what does brewers yeast taste like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I like it, but only for a select few applications. I like it in vegan mac and cheese recipes and on plain pasta.

what does brewers yeast taste like?
I describe it as "nutty"
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top