VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been vegan for a few years and aternate two different B-12 supplement pills; each a different manufactures just to better my chance I am really getting B-12. Nutritional yeast is a new term to me since I just started comming here. Is it different from yeast used in making bread? How do you use it? Thanks.....

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

Quote:
Nutritional supplements

Yeast is used in nutritional supplements popular with vegans and the health conscious, where it is often referred to as "nutritional yeast". It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is an excellent source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, whose functions are related to metabolism as well as other minerals and cofactors required for growth. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12, which is produced separately from bacteria.

Nutritional yeast has a nutty, cheesy, creamy flavor which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of parmesan cheese. Another popular use is as a topping for popcorn. Some movie theaters are beginning to offer it along with salt or cayenne pepper as a popcorn condiment. It comes in the form of flakes, or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. In Australia it is sometimes sold as "savory yeast flakes". Though "nutritional yeast" usually refers to commercial products, inadequately fed prisoners have used "home-grown" yeast to prevent vitamin deficiency.[34]

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I use both because I don't use nutritional yeast enough for it to be my only source. I put it on popcorn and use it in my soup bases, but that's about it. I've tried a couple of "cheese sauce" recipes using it, but thought they were gross. So every other day or so I take a sublingual B12 tablet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I haven't been able to find a b-12 supplement in capsule form that isn't made from gelatin. The liquid sublingual form I have has glycerine but I don't know from what source.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimango View Post

I haven't been able to find a b-12 supplement in capsule form that isn't made from gelatin. The liquid sublingual form I have has glycerine but I don't know from what source.
I use TwinLabs Sublingual B-12, Vegetarian. I eat a lot of nutritional yeast, but supplement to be sure.

Here's the product description of the B-12 from Amazon.com:

Product Description

Vegetarian Formula. Sublingual. Each dot quickly dissolves for maximum absorption of Vitamin B12; Delicious 100% natural cherry flavor; Sugar & gelatin free; No preservatives, fructose, honey, artificial flavors or colors; Does not contain soy, yeast, wheat, milk, starch or egg derivatives. B12 Dots are specially formulated tiny sublingual B12 tablets. One dot (sublingual tablet) contains 500 mcg of Vitamin B12. Vegetarian approved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't like more governmnet, but I wish the FDA still had control over the vitamin industry standards.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think it was mentioned that Red Star Nutritional Yeast is the one most recommended, for dependable quality. Make sure you ask for/check for the B-12 supplement component of any nutritional yeast, as there are many on the market that call themselves that, but don't contain that particular vitamin.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have nutritional yeast that sucks, and I am desperately trying to use it up before I buy more. Until then, I guess I will rely upon Vegan fortified foods.

*Sigh*

On a side note, if anyone knows anyone that is not veg that needs supplements, my brother gave me some that I can not use.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Aussy, waht kind of supplements do you have? I might be interested, depending on exactly what it is you have.

The best form of vitamin b12 is methylcobalamin...as opposed to just cobalamin. It's a little harder to find but I have a veg-life brand that is methyl.

I also eat nutritional yeast sometimes, and I drink living harvest hemp milk that is fortified with some b12.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The supplement is One Source, or something. Just to make sure you know: It is not Veg, that's why I won't use them. Supposedly he bought them, used about five, and then stopped using them and gave them to me because he felt that they were unneeded. So, to avoid tossing them out, I am trying to find other things I can do with them.

(On the side, it says: No Gluten, No Lactose, No Dairy, No Yeast, No Artificial Flavors/Stimulants. The ingredients are: Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Calcium Ascorbate, Gelatin, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Croscarmellose Sodium. Less that 2% of the following: Calcium Silicate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Stearic Acid Calcium Pantothenate, Hypromellose, Magnesium Sulfate, Dextrin, Magnesium Stearate Titanium Dioxide, Pyridoxine HCI, FD&C Yellow #6, Polyethylene Glycol, Dextrose, Riboflavin, Cupric Oxide, Thiamin Mononitrate, Lecithin, Vitamin A Acetate, Beta Carotene, Sodium Borate, FD&C Red #40 Lake, Folic Acid, Lycopene, Chronium Chloride, Sodium Selenate, Coenzyme Q10, Sodium Molybate, Lutein, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Sodium Metasillicate, Cyancobalamin, Sodium Metavanadate, Cyancobalamin, Sodium Metavandate, Phytonadione, Cholecalciferol.

I tried to Bold the animal ingredients that I recognized. If anyone else sees anymore, feel free to point them out.

My brother bought them due to his college diet seeming to be lacking essential vitamins. Since then, he has revised his diet a bit. The Vitamins had 270 when bought. According to what he has told me, he took around five... So 265 now. On the front, they proclaim: ADVANCED MULTIVITAMIN & MINERAL for Adults 50+ (*shrug* They work like any multivitamin for anyone, I suppose. They just have a lot more antioxidants.)

EDIT : They also seem to contain soy. Just in case you are allergic, I decided to add that in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts