VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright - calling all Nutritional Yeast Lovers!!
It seems like lately I just cannot get enough of this stuff! It goes on everything, in everything, beside everything. I have even been known to just eat a spoonful straight!

What is your favourite way to prepare nutritional yeast??

Right now mine is the obvious - popcorn with Earth Balance and loads of NY
I am searching for a good "cheese" dip, too.

I have this delicious way of doing tofu (not the healthiest, but DANG is it good) where I pan sear the tofu until crispy, and then use Braggs and Nutritional Yeast as a coating for it... load it up until it's almost crust like: nice and thick and lumpy and SO GOOD!!

Any recipes or pictures or suggestions, please share!

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
The first time I bought some was because I wanted to make vegan cheeze-its. I tasted it and wondered what I got myself into because it was... less than appetizing.

Then after tasting it a few more times, I began to actually like it, and now I try to mix some in with most of the things I make.
Sometimes I cook some noodles, then coat them in nutritional yeast and Earth Balance and dig in, or if I'm eating anything Mexican, I toss some in/on. I also put some in curry, and pizza, when I make pretzels or breadsticks, or the breading for vegan "pig in a blanket"s, etc. There are times where I feel like taking a tablespoon and eating it straight from the container, as well.

I'm going to have to try your tofu thing tomorrow... I have some tofu, Braggs, and nutritional yeast sitting in the kitchen!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Like you, I can't get enough of it right now. I love it with popcorn, earth balance, and lime.

I sprinkle it on quinoa too.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I need to keep an eye on this thread. I have recently bought some and only used it to make homemade seitan.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh MAN! Jackpot!

I just tried this recipe for cheese dip: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=296050

I used a pinch of xanthum gum instead of cornstarch, just to thicken it. I also used a little less water and a lot more garlic powder.

I am completely TORTURING myself right now, because I made a saucepan full of it, but I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home to eat it... It will be steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, and the rest can be used to dip tortilla chips in.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Oh MAN! Jackpot!

I just tried this recipe for cheese dip: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=296050

I used a pinch of xanthum gum instead of cornstarch, just to thicken it. I also used a little less water and a lot more garlic powder.

I am completely TORTURING myself right now, because I made a saucepan full of it, but I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home to eat it... It will be steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, and the rest can be used to dip tortilla chips in.
I'm gonnna try it. I tried the one in Veganomicon, and it was terrible. Aside from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Isa doesn't really impress me

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think next time I make it, I'll try it "nacho" style, with hot sauce or chili powder or something... give it some kick.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I made a boatload of chilli (clearing out the pantry b4 moving) and was getting a little tired of the same thing for bk, lunch, and dinner so I added daiya and nutritional yeast. It was like I had a whole new dish. YES :-D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

I made a boatload of chilli (clearing out the pantry b4 moving) and was getting a little tired of the same thing for bk, lunch, and dinner so I added daiya and nutritional yeast. It was like I had a whole new dish. YES :-D
that sounds so good

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I love nutritional yeast! I add it to just about everything...rice, noodles, pasta, with/without sauce, almost always with Earth Balance. Love it on popcorn with EB. Soup. Tofu Scramble. I've been known to bring it with me to restaurants, especially when I know I will be having pasta with garlic/oil...I need my nutritional yeast for that.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I pulverize the nutritional yeast in a coffee grinder so it turns into powder, then put it in it's own spice container along with some salt and paprika mixed in. I sprinkle the cheez powder on popcorn, broccoli or cauliflower. I like it on the vegetables because it's low fat and it makes them taste good without having to add EB or oil.

If you are really a fiend for nutritional yeast you might be interested in The Nutritional Yeast Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. I think the makers of Red Star nutritional yeast may have hired her to write the book because their logo is on the cover and every recipe lists Red Star yeast as one of the ingredients. There are so many interesting sounding recipes... especially foods where you wouldn't think nutritional yeast would belong. French toast, johnnycakes, apple bread, 'hollandaze' sauce, buffalo wings, tofu fingers. There is one for Pineapple 'Cheese' Danish that I want to try.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
It's pretty good for making yellow snow on the miniature Christmas village under the tree, if you want to show where the elves go pee.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We are addicted to this cheese sauce--it has the tang of sharp cheddar I have missed:
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup nooch
1/2 cup non dairy milk
2 TB lemon juice
small clove garlic
pinch onion power
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp whole grain mustard (like grey poupon)
Blend the heck out of it in your blender or food processor until silky smooth. That's it! No heating!

I love N.Y. and use it loads but this cheese sauce is the best. if you make it ahead of time and refridgerate it--it thickens to a spreadable consistancy. if you make it right before you want it--it is more pourable.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OMG I just tried the suggestion of putting it on pasta with EB...

I made kamut noodles and just put a bit of Earth Balance, Salt, Pepper, Tamari, and Nutritional Yeast on. It was SO GOOD!!

I would totally eat that again. Although next time I'll add vegetables, because tonight I was being lazy

(It's okay, I ate loads of fruits and veggies today so I don't feel bad, haha)

·
Registered
812 Posts
toast+earth balance+siracha+nooch=

THE TOAST OF TOASTS

i toast the bread first and then put all the stuff on and then toast it again so the nooch gets crispy and bubbly

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I love nutritional yeast! I love it in tofu scramble. It gives it a nice tang. I also sprinkle it on popcorn along with Frank's hot sauce. Great combo!
I, too, mix it with EB and toss pasta and veggies in it. Delicious. I sprinkle it on garlic bread as well and put it in things like chickpea salad. The stuff is gold!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts