VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that ends of some of my fingernails look flat and even a bit concave. I tried to research it on the internet and, from what I found, I think I might be lacking zinc, protein and iron in my diet. Has anyone else ever experience something like this? I'm just a bit worried, because it seems like it's getting a bit worse. I have a doctor's apt next month, but I'd like to try and fix it before then. Can anyone recommend good sources of zinc, protein and iron? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
How is the color of your fingernails? Iron deficiency symptoms include very pale nails. Also, getting on top of the situation is a good thing, but it's unlikely that you'd correct a deficiency in just one month.<br><br><br><br>
What causes you to think that the minerals are lacking? Are you eating sufficient protein?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The color is completely normal. Other than the weird shape, my nails actually look really good. My diet is very well-balanced and healthy, which is why I'm a little confused about it. I was questioning my mineral intake after doing a quick internet search about it. I think I might need to start taking a multivitamin everyday.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if i remember correctly, broccolli is a good source of iron, as are most leafy, green veggies.<br><br><br><br>
my nails do the same thing, but i have always chalked it up to weak nails and hands that get regularly battered when gardening....

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
It may just be the way your nails are. Mine have always been like that, and I get plenty of protein, zinc, and iron. I also just have very soft, weak nails as a matter of genetics. I inherited my mother's nails.<br><br><br><br>
But for a super nutritious snack that's loaded with zinc and iron as well as a bunch of other minerals and vitamins, try mixing sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and roasting them. You can eat them just like that or add them to a trail mix.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Flat and concave fingernails are probably due to iron deficiency. It't not a 100% sign for it, but better check your iron status (including ferritin count).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts