VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've restarted my workout and I've already dropped down 4" around the middle (woohoo) but I feel like I'm getting slower results because in the past I would cut and build by reducing overall caloric intake and drastically reducing carbs and fats. However, it seems that since becoming vegan, all proteins come with a carbohydrate price!<br><br>
Do any of you have any experiencing in cutting? And how have you done it since becoming vegan? Are there sure-fire low-carb, high protein alternatives? I do have rice protein powder. But, for example, instead of eating a whole sandwich, I would just eat low-fat lunch meats. Obviously, that's not possible. (Although, I think tofurkey lunch "meats" might be a suitable alternative, these are quite expensive.)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Maybe cut grains and eat more greens?<br>
Rice protein would have less fat than, for example, hemp protein (if you're into using powders/isolates). Also look into pea protein?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
P.S. I don't recommend going too low-carb if you are also doing cardio and/or want to maintain good moods and clarity of mind.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Make seitan, high in protein, low carbs. Unfortunately low in fiber though.<br><br>
And I agree low carb diets are not to good. Low in refined carbs yes but high density wheat and grain carbs are very good.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not eliminating carbs altogether but I do believe in a low-carb diet when trying to cut and build. You won't burn fat as efficiently if you have a surplus of carbs in your system because your body will burn the carbs before it will the fat. Carbs are great to get the fat-burning fire started but you don't want it to be able to run on nothing but carbs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a lot of weight management by manipulating my diet prior to going vegetarian. While the foods are a little different the principle is the same. I wouldn't say low carb diet, I'd say quality-carb diet like some of the others have mentioned. If you're on the 3 meals a day schedule, try to split it up into 4 or 5 meals over the day. Changing when you eat can prompt your body to utilize those nutrients more immediately, especially when paired with regular exercise routine. I'd worry less about quantity and more on quality since it sounds like you've got the exercise part down. The weight will come off, and doing it the right way may take a little longer than incorporating an extreme diet but the result will be a much healthier, happier you. Good luck with your goals!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Tofu, seitan, and mock meat products are usually high protein and both low carb and low fat. Nuts and peanut butter are low carb and have both fat and protein.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts