VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few posts on here about lack of support from families when going vegetarian/vegan, and am happy to say that mine is pretty supportive. Okay, my brother thinks vegetraianism is 'gay' and stupid, and what's the point to it?, but he is an uneduacted neanderthal who I shall not talk about.

Anyway, my point is my mother has no problem with my going vegetarina, or even vegan, as long as I get all my necessary nitrients.

So, can anyone on here tell me best sources for protein, iron, B12 and anything else omnis get from meat? (Apart from the fat and cholesterol
)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Protein is easy. Just eat. LOL Soy products, (tofu, tempeh etc), lentils, quinoa, beans, nuts.

Iron: again, lentils, chickpeas, quinoa (Loki is that right?) and some green leafys (others will be more help here). Milo has a lot of iron but also milk products. Eat some Vit C (tomato works fine) with the iron to help absorb it.

B12: fortified soymilk. Also eggs if you eat them (I think!).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Don't worry about the typos, everyone makes them. It can be rather adventurous to read posts at times.

Here are some links to where these have already discussed.

Protein

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=protein

Iron

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...highlight=iron

As for B12 I think the best sources are found in fortified foods (such as soymilk and cereal) and nutritional yeast (I've heard Red Star nutritional yeast being highly recommended). You don't have to worry about B12 if you eat eggs of dairy since there's more than enough of it found in those.

You might want to ask about any other nutrients in the Healthy Living forum. There are a lot of people who know more than me in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Quinoa is also a good source of protein on top of the iron that shewolf mentioned. It's a very healthy grain.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
according to foodgenius.com in 100g of quinoa, you can get 97% of your daily intake of iron, so i'd say it's a good source of iron.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quinoa?

What the heck is that?

Never heard of it before (in all my long years on this planet).

Please explain?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
handy site Oatmeal, thanks.

it says you only need about 2 micrograms of B12 a day. that's pretty easy to come by if you drink soymilk and eat fake meats like veggie burgers.

don't worry about protein. everything but fruit has some protein in it. as long as you eat enough calories in a day you probably get more than enough protein.

what's funny is i'd read that the minimum RDA for women my age is 50g. this guy at the place i get my vitamins always lectures me. he asked me (in a really condescending tone) if i even know how much protein i should get. i said, yes about 50g, and that's about what i'm getting if not more.

he laughs in my face and says "yeah right, that's if you're a 100 pound couch potato"

i said "umm well yeah i pretty much am."

heh. he doesn't like to be proven wrong. in any case don't let people harass you about protein, just eat when you're hungry and eat a good variety and you'll be fine. your body will tell you if it needs anything. if i'm low on protein i usually get massive veggie burger cravings.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"BTW, sorry for all the typos in above post..."

-------------------

By the way ... it's been proven a veggie diet actually reduces typos ... LOL

hehe

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
QUINOA (pronounced keen-wa): a grain that comes from the Andes Mountains of South America. Quinoa's origins are truly ancient. It was one of the three staple foods, along with corn and potatoes, of the Inca civilization. Quinoa was known then, and still is known, with respect, as the mother grain.

Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein.

Quinoa's protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to... milk!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yes absolutely, I've used it. Try a good health food store. Where are you again? I've got WA in my head. I can get it in Brisbane.

·
Registered
180 Posts
there are some really good books about this especially-Becoming Vegan-it goes through all the nutrients we need and how to get them on a vegan diet.

It has helped me to make sure I'm doing what I need for my body. I actually also get a B12 shot because my levels were low for awhile...its covered by my health plan and since I don't eat many processed veggie burgers or soy milk then I don't worry about it in my diet so much

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, Shewolf, from WA.

Small country town though, without a healthfood shop for miles.

However, i can probably get into Perth in the next couple of months so I'll see If I can look around there.

On the plus side, Mum went down to our local supermarket and *finally* got me some kidney beans, but also picked up a bunch of lentils, chickpeas, couscous and soya beans (dried.)

Yummers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts