VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
But with the revival of the butcher shop, some young people are undertaking the largely lost art of butchering as a stronger way to connect with their food.

For 24-year-old Andrew Plotsky of Washington, D.C., that meant leaving his job as a barista in a snobby coffee shop to learn the process of raising an animal, slaughtering it and butchering it for a meal.

"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought animals should and could be processed," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the raising of animals for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in pig slaughter."
Full Story Here

Looking at the guy's picture and his history as a barista in a "snobby" cafe, I'm guessing the only reason he was vegan in the first place was to be trendy.

WARNING: There is one photo of him tackling a pig in the article, but not killing it (yet)

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought animals should and could be processed," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the raising of animals for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in pig slaughter."

OMFG, that quote is so deranged.
I would request a search warrant for his house and computer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
^ Referring to that same quote, I don't know how the words 'romantic' and 'slaughter' can fit into the same thought. Or how he thinks he bonds with the pig when he kills it. I doubt the pig feels that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought children should be enslaved and labored," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the slavery of children for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in buying my own child slaves."

It's tradition, right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
"The immediacy of taking life was difficult at first. It's still something I'm figuring out how to rationalize." Then don't do it. It seems like he thinks he needs to work through the guilt so he can be okay with doing it. Why is it that some people just refuse to listen to their conscience?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I wish every parent would teach their children that is wrong to take a life. I remember saying this to someone, and they remarked- well of course they do! How could you say that? I reminded them that I corrected their own child when I told he was killing a grasshopper. They laughed.
I reminded her of Jeffry Dahmer (sp?), known for killing incests, small animals, and humans. At least he ate the humans, right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
^ It's a circular problem. The parents weren't brought up to believe it's wrong to kill animals so they don't teach their children that it's wrong to kill animals, who don't teach their children, etc. Unfortunately not many people question what they're told. I agree that parents should teach they're children this, and it's frustrating that this is an idealistic rather than realistic idea.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have sifted through the dreck of that article to provide you, dear reader, with these gems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article View Post

By killing the animal himself, Plotsky says he strengthens his bond to that animal, as well as the food it provides, the ground it lived on, and the family and friends he shares the meal with.
Sometimes... a facepalm, or even a heartfelt "WHAT THE ****??!!", just doesn't quite express how you probably feel.
Oh- and this, about a pig's foot, or "trotter", on his plate:
Quote:
"They're kind of everything a chicken wing dreams of being."

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I bond with my animals by feeding them, not by feeding them to me.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
"Maaaaan, it's the circle of life you know?? *rolls a joint* When I was listening to the newest Vampire Weekend album -- they got 8.4 from Pitchfork btw -- I was thinking, you know, I wanna be connected to nature and stuff. Dude, we're all here just children of the earth mother and I wanna hug the earth mother and maybe kill some of the other children sometime too."

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Originally Posted by from article
By killing the animal himself, Plotsky says he strengthens his bond to that animal, as well as the food it provides, the ground it lived on, and the family and friends he shares the meal with.

Quoted from Jeffrey Dahmer:
"The maintaining of the skulls was a way to feel that I had saved at least something of their essence, that I wasn't a total waste in killing them."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

"Maaaaan, it's the circle of life you know?? *rolls a joint* When I was listening to the newest Vampire Weekend album -- they got 8.4 from Pitchfork btw -- I was thinking, you know, I wanna be connected to nature and stuff. Dude, we're all here just children of the earth mother and I wanna hug the earth mother and maybe kill some of the other children sometime too."

Don't make fun of stoners! They're more often than not pacifist and benign beings who support our non-violent way of life.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I'm not sure what I found more disgusting, the article itself or the majority of the comments below it. I wish I hadn't read those.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
He's probably a former "vegan" in the same way Lierre Keith was a former "vegan."

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:

Is that the guy from workaholics?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will never understand how killing an animal for taste bud pleasure = respect, care, love, special bonding. sick! I could never kill my cat, rip her to shreds, eat her, and then feel okay with myself.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

lol pitchfork

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

I will never understand how killing an animal for taste bud pleasure = respect, care, love, special bonding. sick! I could never kill my cat, rip her to shreds, eat her, and then feel okay with myself.
But how else will you bond fully with your cat?

Yeah, what a load of crap.

The whole 'snobby cafe hipster vegan' thing vs. the 'wholesome country in touch with nature pig slaughtering' BS is very irritating.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts