VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was listening to the radio's morning show. The subject of the www.masskilling.com website came up. This started the generalizations of veg*nism. They said, "Well, I better not see them in Birkenstocks then. They should be wearing rubber shoes held together with velcro. But we all know that isn't going to happen. They all wear leather." (They being us, the veg*ns.)

This made me extremely mad, knowing that this radio station is heard all over Southeast and central Nebraska. In the mornings, 93.3 the dam (from Omaha) and 106.3 the blaze (from Lincoln) merge and can be heard even farther out into Nebraska. With the generalizations being made, and being heard by so many people, it makes it worse for us veg*ns. Another thing they said, "They can go live in their little sad world. That is exactly what it is. A sad little meatless world."

As soon as I get home, I am sending them an e-mail and telling them about their false generalizations and how they can get informed by books and other websites.

What started this all is the 'Animal Holocaust.' I will agree that the campaign is kinda messed up. I even find it slightly offensive, but they should have just left it at that, and not went on the false generalizations that will cause others to think that all vegetarians are extremesits and live in a 'sad' world.

Any suggestions on books or websites to put in the e-mail that are really informative about veg*nism?

Thanks, Abbie

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Was this on The Dam? B/c I know the wife of the program director at The Dam and if it was, I will certainly give her a message to relay to her husband.

Just for the record--my Birkenstocks are NOT leather.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
There are lot's of sites, some one will mention them.

You could offer or arrange a (alternative) item on vegan.

Like going there yourself or a organisation and tell it all on the radio.

My birckenstocks are plastic (handy for outdoor) and the other are microfiber.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was born and raised in Nebraska--the rural, cattle & corn part of it--and of course there are numerous and profound misunderstandings of what vegetarianism and veganism.

Yes, please do pass along their e-mail address--but even better than that--pass along the mailing addresses for both stations so that we can be sure our letters go to the program director and general manager. For some reason, paper mail carries more weight with management types (I guess it's seen as being more legitimate and "real").

Do you remember the names of the jocks who made these comments, or at least the name of the morning show?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ok, I, too, live in Nebraska. I'm pretty sure it was Tim and The Animal making the comments (from 93.3 the Dam). Here's the URL for the website.

http://www.thedamstation.com/main.html

For anyone interested, Tim Sheridan is the program director and also on the morning show.

The Dam is a pretty ridiculous radio station and the morning show is incredibly juvenile, so it doesn't surprise me that they were making fun of veg*ns. I think they would make fun of anyone who wasn't hard-core pro-war, anti-muslim, gung-ho for manly food like steak, and into fart jokes, so letters and emails might not do a whole lot to bolster the veg*n cause. They might even relish the fact that their show caused such a ruckus.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
we have a station like this in my town, too; i don't listen to it anymore in the morning because the jock is a misogynist and i got sick of listening to his anti-woman propoganda. i wrote the station to tell them what i thought, but of course recieved no response. i am not the "target market" they are going for, obviously, so my words hold no weight. radio stations know that these kinds of things get ratings. sadly.

the thing about these jockies is that i suspect they will get a kick out of the trouble they've stirred up. don't be surprised if anything you write to them gets read on-air and mocked.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
" Another thing they said, "They can go live in their little sad world. That is exactly what it is. A sad little meatless world." "

-----------------------------

What a joke ... haha. Sounds like a couple morons to me. I hope they get a flood of emails ... hehehhe

I can't listen to commercial popular radio. I hate most of the "online personalities" on any stations I've heard and I can't stand the loud annoying blarring commercials.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well, to be honest, I'd blame PETA. their extreme campaign piss omnis off, so they make generalisations about vegetarians. But of course, what needs to happen is that omnis are willing to embrace vegetarianism and vegetarians into society. It is difficult to do so when www.masskilling is about, which I believe is very tasteless.

Many people dismiss vegetarianism as being living in a sad little meatless world becuase they choose to shut themselves away form vegetarianism, as they don't like PETA and other extreme organisations. Therefore, there is less understanding about it.

I'm also sick of the all-or-nothing approach that a lot of ignorant omnis hold. thei ridea is that isnce you can't be 100% vegan, because animal products are everywhere, they decide that it isn't worth it, and they just say that veg*ns are hypocrites as they don't fully shun animal products. however, these same omnis say that veg*ns are disconnected from society. This is bull****, because if one were to avoid animal products completely (Animals are used in computers, cars, photos etc) then you would be isolated and ignored. It's tough, but I just think that this radio presenter is a c**t. If you wish, you can say in your letter "Loki, of veggieboards.com thinks you are a c**t, because you seem to htink that all vegetarians are like PETA members"

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Loki - I SO AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

I hate it when some animal rights (peta or the vegans or vegetarians or whomever .... you can fill in the blank) get up so high on their horses that they alienate 99.99 percent of the world.

All the radical behavior and attitudes only give meat eaters a reason to eat meat. If all of us set the example and showed others all the positive things we know to be true - then more (not all mind you) but more would come to embrace this way of life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
When I was reading loki's post, he said something about how they think veg*ns are disconnected from society...but you know, THOSE guys are disconnected from society, if they can't accept other kinds of people. psh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.