VeggieBoards banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a family member that I am not on regular speaking terms with. They have been ill for years from smoking. I have their last/current address. Is there a way to find out if they are still living? (short of contacting them, personally)<br><br><br><br>
It is odd not knowing if they are dead or alive...<br><br><br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do believe you can look at or access (on request) the death records of that person's municipality. Call up their city hall and ask for the death records department. Maybe that's not the exact title, but they should be able to transfer you to the right person.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Plus, some newspapers have online databases of obits. Maybe you can search them.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
The Metro (city/county) Health Department handles death certificates here, so that would be a good place to start if your relative had died here. You might also try the local probate court.<br><br><br><br>
The Social Security Administration also has some sort of web page that lists people who have died. I think you can just look them up by name. It would give the name, the person's social security number, and date of death. Not sure why they have such a listing, but they do.<br><br><br><br>
I hate to make this sound cynical, but isn't this situation kinda why a lot of people send Christmas cards back and forth--just to get basic news on how their family members are doing and/or seeing if they are still alive?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, Joe, it was NOT getting an x-mas card last year that made me wonder...<br><br><br><br>
Thank you for the ideas and information, everyone.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mushroom, you can also go to "411" type pages and do some lookups on addresses and even reverse lookups on phone numbers to see to whom the address and phone are registered.<br><br><br><br>
Here's one such example site for that:<br><br><b><a href="http://www.infospace.com/" target="_blank">http://www.infospace.com/</a></b>

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Or you could ask around with mutual family and friends, but that could look like prying perhaps? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert, I went to the link you posted and found the person listed.<br><br>
However, is there a chance that a deceased person could be on that list?<br><br><br><br>
I spoke to this relative in October, then was very surprised not to hear from them at xmas.<br><br><br><br>
Skylark, we don't have any mutual friends and she is the only person on that side of the family that I speak with at all.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
'Shroom,<br><br>
That could present a problem. Another route would be driving by her house (if its nearby) and looking for signs of her.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mushroom, yes, there is always the chance the deceased person is listed. I am pretty sure the info is only updated when a change of address has been inserted into the postal databases for each region, or in the case of a phone listing, when a phone number has been assigned to someone else and the change is reflected in the public phone directory(s).<br><br><br><br>
Sometimes it takes a few weeks, or even months, for changes in their databases to take effect. The fact that it is still listed as the person you want more info about, this tells me that there is a very good chance that neither the address nor the phone records have been changed.<br><br><br><br>
What you "could" also do to verfiy is to call 1+areacode+555-1212 and tell the operator you are looking for the number of the person on address. The operator will tell you the phone number. if the person was deceased, chances are the number would be disconnected.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skylark, I would drive by her house, but she lives in WA and I live in NM.<br><br><br><br>
Robert, I will call that #.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
(On a similar note, about a year ago I had someone call me from a number I didn't recognise, say: "Heeyyyyyyyy GERTRUDE!" or whatever my real name is, and hang up. I traced the number to a mall in Nova Scotia, in a town I've never been to. I still have NO idea who it was, and it drove me nuts for months.)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It wasn't me.<br><br><br><br>
And yeah, that is indeed spooky that someone knew your name and called from a location that far away, and somewhere you've never visited.<br><br><br><br>
Avalon, do you recall the name of the town or the Mall?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
A couple things to remember:<br><br><br><br>
Many women do not like to list their full names in the phone book, for fear of harassment. So some will list themselves under an initial. Others, who may be widowed, will leave the listing in their deceased husband's name.<br><br><br><br>
The phone company will apparently let your list your number under just about any name. I have a friend named Edwin Whatever who runs an old-fashioned dial-up BBS. He has a listing of his BBS under his name but with the next letter in the alphabet substituted. So, Edwin becomes Fexjo, in the substitution code.<br><br><br><br>
I have another friend named something like Kate Krochets. She had her number listed in the phone book as "Kate K". This would lead most people--including salesmen--to think that her last name was Kate and her first name began with a K. So it was easy for her to screen out sales calls while still allowing her friends to look her up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts