VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm not strictly new, I have been away for a year or so. Thought I'd re-introduce myself for those who don't remember me.

I'm a 20-something woman in the UK, been Vegetarian for 3 or 4 years and I live with two little dogs and a hardcore omni. I was looking into Veganism last time I was here, but it never quite happened. Still seriously thinking about it, have cut milk out of my diet, thought doing it in stages might help. I don't have a lot of support, I am the only Veg*n I know (apart from a colleague who still ate parmesan when I told her it wan't V friendly) and I guess I'm looking for some guidance and support on this journey.

Look forward to getting back into the community, hope there's still a place for me!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_strawberry View Post

Hi guys!

I'm not strictly new, I have been away for a year or so. Thought I'd re-introduce myself for those who don't remember me.

I'm a 20-something woman in the UK, been Vegetarian for 3 or 4 years and I live with two little dogs and a hardcore omni. I was looking into Veganism last time I was here, but it never quite happened. Still seriously thinking about it, have cut milk out of my diet, thought doing it in stages might help. I don't have a lot of support, I am the only Veg*n I know (apart from a colleague who still ate parmesan when I told her it wan't V friendly) and I guess I'm looking for some guidance and support on this journey.

Look forward to getting back into the community, hope there's still a place for me!
Hey, welcome back
What are you having problems with, the cheese? I just read some articles and had dropped everything. It's not hard really with all the vegan alternatives for everything. Especially for you, living in the UK

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome (back) to the forum, miss_strawberry!

This might not have been the sort of thing you had in mind when you mentioned support/guidance, but I just thought I'd recommend that you watch Earthlings if you're having trouble making the transition to veganism. As a vegetarian I thought of going vegan and found that I couldn't stand the idea of giving up cheese, and that it was easier I guess to not inform myself of what goes on in dairy and egg "production".

After watching Earthlings, it was no longer even a choice, really. That documentary turned me into a vegan, on the spot. I've never looked back. I feel better, both physically and emotionally...

Just thought I'd mention it, in case what you feel you need is more motivational in nature.
This documentary will probably do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for my cabbage avatar, well, I decided a strawberry was more appropriate!

Thank you Kimberlily1983 for the documentary titles. I am a bit afraid to watch them to be honest at the moment. I am a sensitive soul.

It's not so much that I am having a problem giving things up, I haven't really thought about that yet, it's more that I feel like an inconvenience enough around non-veggies (which is like, everyone I know!). I know there will be a backlash from my family, worrying about my health, arguments about my reasons and such like. *sigh* I know I won't have a lot of support.

Like I said, I am cutting out dairy, and I was planning on buying a few books to help the transition. Animal Free shopper by the Vegan society; Appetite for Reduction: 100 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz; and Vegan Freak - 2nd Edition by Bob Torres. That way I have low fat recipies, a book to tell me what is and isn't vegan (in the UK), and a motivational book.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Welcome back miss strawberry

Appetite for Reduction is a great book. Be prepared when you read Vegan Freak -- the Torreses are a little pushy. I loved the first edition of their book but IMO the second edition can come off as preachy and off-putting. They do give good information on the vegan lifestyle, though.

For nutritional info, I also highly recommend you check out http://www.theveganrd.com/

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome guys.

It's not so much that I am having a problem giving things up, I haven't really thought about that yet, it's more that I feel like an inconvenience enough around non-veggies (which is like, everyone I know!). I know there will be a backlash from my family, worrying about my health, arguments about my reasons and such like. *sigh* I know I won't have a lot of support.
Hi there! I am returning to VB myself after a few months away. This (what I quoted above) is totally me too. That was the hardest part of being vegan for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

What I think is funny is nobody has concerns for your health when you're eating tons of cake, french fries, hamburgers, fast food, pizza and tons of cheese.... but the world comes to an END when you replace ground fat with beans, french fries with salad, and cheese with soy products.

It's really quite silly if you think about it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzytheterrible View Post

What I think is funny is nobody has concerns for your health when you're eating tons of cake, french fries, hamburgers, fast food, pizza and tons of cheese.... but the world comes to an END when you replace ground fat with beans, french fries with salad, and cheese with soy products.

It's really quite silly if you think about it.

PS. Love your avatar's green eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.