VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Ellie and I am new to both these boards and to vegetarianism as a whole. I decided to undergo this change because of health reasons (hypertension, obesity) and because I have gotten food poisoning twice in the last month. I have a freezer full of meat and a pantry full of tuna so I'm trying to eat it all before I totally switch. Basically I'm just only buying vegetarian products and only eating meat at home once a day until I finish. Is this a reasonable way to switch? My second question is that I have a severe allergy to peanuts. Is this going to be an issue?

Well thanks for letting me babble on here. Oh and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello!

The allergy shouldn't really be more of an issue than it already is. As far as just eating all of the things you already have, it may make it more difficult to switch, or increase you likelihood of cravings because you are used to having these things in your home. I really am not sure, though, I was a cold tofurky veg.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You get choose if you want to do it gradually or go 'cold tofurkey'. I see nothing wrong with finishing up what you have. I ended up giving away a lot of my non-vegetarian items when I first started. I was too excited to start my new way of eating to do it too slowly. But do what feels right for you and welcome to Veggieboards!

·
Registered
321 Posts
No, your allergies to peanuts will not hinder your conversion to vegetarianism. You can use cashew butter or almond butter, etc. in place of peanut butter as a protein source, though it is a tad bit more espensive.

This is not a good way to switch over to vegetarian IMO. You stuffing your face with all the leftover meat in the fridge! You are going to fail as a vegetarian in the long run if you begin dumping the meat in your body before going cold turkey (haha) from it. Take my advice and thrown it away; it's useless anyway, worthnothing.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post

This is not a good way to switch over to vegetarian IMO. You stuffing your face with all the leftover meat in the fridge! You are going to fail as a vegetarian in the long run if you begin dumping the meat in your body before going cold turkey (haha) from it. Take my advice and thrown it away; it's useless anyway, worthnothing.
I disagree. I think OP should either finish it him/herself or give it to someone else (preferably the latter.) The animal died. might as well have it not be for nothing.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome!

There's nothing wrong with finishing what you already have in the kitchen. It took me a while to completely transition to vegetarianism, and after almost ten years, I'm still a committed, strict vegetarian. You should transition in whatever manner is most comfortable for you.

And I second the suggestion about other nut butters. If you like almonds, you'll like almond butter.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Yeah, I think using up what you have is a good way to go about it. And you're obviously not "stuffing your face" with the meat, you're eating one portion a day.

Welcome to VB and good luck in your transition!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The canned goods could be given away to someone who NEEDS it and cannot afford food

But she shouldn't be polluting her body by dumping it into hers!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I quit everything straight away, but if you're okay with eating meat still then finish up what you have!

Welcome, and happy new year =D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really believe that everyone has their own way of going veg*n.

I just had to do it cold turkey, but that doesnt mean you have to!!

I think whatever way makes it easier for you is good.

Good luck, and welcome!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went "cold turkey" to veganism, but I can see doing it either way. I DO personally suggest giving it away to a friend or relative. I had no meat in my house anyway as I already never bought it bc I don't know how to cook it. But I had margarine, Kraft Mac n Cheese, and other products with dairy ingredients or other trace ingredients. I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of money and she really appreciated them!

Either way, do what works for you and congratulations on making a healthy change!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for their welcome and speedy replies. I think I am just going to "phase out" meat but I am very glad to hear the allergy won't be an issue. I find these boards very informative. Thanks again.

Ellie

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I wanted to welcome you too Ellie.

Congrats on your decision to go veg, no matter if you phase out meat or quit cold turkey. Which ever way you do it, you are making a wonderful choice for yourself, for the environment and for the animals!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.