VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf was dead set against his 13 year old getting her nose pierced. He wanted her to wait until she was older. Mom said she could and didn't see what the big deal would be. She got it done Friday. I would have liked for her to wait. I think 13 is to young for face piercings. There's a whole other issue about her doing it without her Dad's permission and Mom supporting it. Actually, Mom got her's done to at the same time.

How old do you think you should be before getting face piercings?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
This is a tough one for me, too. My wife got hers when she was 15. Our daughter (now 4) will eventually learn that tidbit, and if she wants to get a piercing will use that as leverage.

Personally, I see it as cosmetic surgery and would rather she make the decision as an adult rather than as a child.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I'd make my kid wait until he's 18 to do anything.

On an upnote.. nose piercings disappear pretty fast once you take the ring out. So at least it won't be a forever type of mark.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I'd say 16 or 17, if not 18. No younger than that.

When I was 16, my mom took me to have my navel done. For my 17th, she took me to get my tongue done. On my 18th, I took myself to get my nipples done. Everything else was post 18th.
At least piercings are removable, unlike tats. I wouldn't let a kid under 18 get a tattoo at all.

I also don't want to be the "other kids" parent. "The other kids' parents let them.." like in your example of a 13 year old. Which I think is too young to begin with.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peircings are different then tattos, but here's my story: I wanted a tattoo at 15. Dad said yes, mom said no, had to wait until 18. i'm glad i waited, because what is cool at 15 is really, really dumb at 18. and what's cool at 18 is really dumb at 30. anyhoo,

i wanted a tattoo of a banjo. on my knee. get it? I don't play the banjo, mind you. and that is why it's important to wait until you are adultish to make these decisions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
please. I would have made fun of me.

my point is at 13-15 most kids are a bit impulsive. i would make my kid wait, and i have lots of tats and peircings- i'm adding to my arm currently to make a half sleeve.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

Dang, girl. What's next?
Nothing, I don't think. I kept my nipple rings in for 4 years, took them out when I was 22. Took my navel ring out at about the same time. Now I just have 5 in each ear, both tragi (the flap in front of the ear hole), tongue (which i took out once for about 8 months,) and my hood. I haven't had anything pierced since the hood at 20, and nothing tattooed since i was 19. I'll be 25 in february. I'm old & grown up now. I think the novelty has worn off, anyway.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My mom had the rule "no facial piercings until you graduate from high school".

This was the same mom who bought me a tatoo for my 16th birthday (which I still love 8 years later btw).

I had 5 holes in my ears by the time I was 11, two tattoos at 16, navel at 20 and nostril at 21.

My dad's rule was nothing permanent until the age of 25.

Good thing I lived with my mom

·
Registered
172 Posts
i had my nose pierced at thirteen. as stated earlier, leaving the ring out for just a few hours can cause the hole to close, even after the initial healing process (unfortunately, that's what happened to me). by 15, i had twenty earrings which i love dearly. i've become more confident since getting my ears done; before i was extremely self-conscious about having above-average sized ears. now, they're my favorite part of my face. i think it all boils down to whether or not the person would really enjoy the piercing, and still love it several years down the line.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I did it myself at the age of 13, I try to guide my kids but at the same time let them be themselves.

Nose piercing is not a big deal if they deside they do not want it after a few months take out the post and it closes over real fast.

I personaly would not let a child under the age of 12 do it though.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I think it depends. When I was 15, I got my nose pierced on an impulse while visiting a friend out of province, so my parents didn't even get asked. I ended up having it for 2 years, and when I took it out, it took less than a week to heal over.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts