VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you do about dairy? buy products from animals who you know werent harmed or treated poorly? if so how do you do this? or do you not worry about it? i like flax milk and dont cook with eggs anymore but still eat stuff eggs are in, but i think it's gonna be difficult to find a cheese i like and to make yogurt and icecream. just wondering

·
Registered
889 Posts
I want to become a vegan but haven't yet finished replacing all of the dairy in my diet.

Thus far, I've replaced animal milk with almond milk (with which I am in love!) and I've stopped eating eggs as well. I use ground flax seeds and water instead of eggs for baking. I also have used almond butter instead of regular butter--although that didn't go as well as I had hoped--for baking.

I haven't fully eliminated cheese yet. I went to my local Trader Joe's and they have no vegan cheese! They sell Soy Cheese but it has casein in it!

Definitely do try vegan icecream. I had my first taste of it this past weekend! It was amazing. I wouldn't have been able to tell it apart from regular icecream had I not known.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drink soy milk and eat soy yogurt but I haven't stopped eating things with milk in it yet. If an alternative is readily available, I'll choose that though.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I use almond milk and EnerG egg replacer and do not use any eggs or dairy in my own preparations. I never was that big on cheese and have just recently found Daiya to put on my cheeseless pizza but it is too pricey and not available at my local stores. I rather enjoy cheeseless pizza anyway.
My only "failure" as a dietary vegan are the trace ingredients. I can't afford the expensive bread so I have to compromise and do the best I can. Vegan ice cream is awesome!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
hemp or coconut for drinking... soy or rice for baking. I've never been a big milk person. and for eggs, I use mostly flax and water. I generally tend to avoid buying yogurt unless the soy or coconut based ones are on sale, and then I'll stock up. the texture's a little better than the milk based ones, for some reason.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I sometimes eat eggs from my chickens, and I eat honey from my bees.

I don't buy eggs, dairy products or honey for my consumption.

I mostly cook and bake from scratch, but when I do buy prepared food, I don't worry about trace ingredients of dairy, eggs or honey - frankly, I don't think that boycotting trace ingredients has an effect, either on actual animal lives, or as a political statement, at least not where I live. The one exception is that I will not purchase vegetarian specific products that contain egg or dairy - for those manufacturers, I do think that it might make a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I bought animal milk, I tried to make sure it was organic and from a good, local farm I knew. However, because I'm diabetic and want to have children someday, I've stopped drinking/using animal milk, as it has been shown to be a factor in childhood diabetes. My new thing is almond milk, which is delicious in everything from cereal to baking.

My only really big hangup is cheese (which is probably why I haven't just switched to full on veganism.) However, I do like daiya cheese. It is rather expensive though. Idk.. I only ever get eggs from a woman who is friends with my father-in-law, so I know the chickens are treated well.

With these kinds of things, I generally go on a "work as you can" method. I try to be as conscious of things as possible.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
yogurt and icecream
Those are almost trivial. Soy yogurt is widely available commercial. I've tried making it (at one point I owned THREE yogurt makers, although they were all hand-me-downs and I'm not sure why I kept all 3). Didn't work out but I'm pretty sure that was my fault and the same thing would have happened with animal milk. I never really cared for traditional yogurt but I *love* the soy stuff. Tastes lighter, doesn't coat my mouth.

Ice 'cream' is also widely available. I tend to make my own now though. Non dairy ice cream is the first thing I felt I 'understood' to the level that I can create complex recipes rather than tweaking recipes from better cooks
Tons of fun and not time consuming at all.

Cheese is a pain, especially if you think in terms of 'replicating cheese' rather than 'replicating what I like about cheese'. Soft or spreadable stuff has reasonable non-dairy options, but melty stretchy gooey ... not so much. They all seem to either taste not quite right, behave not quite right, or be the nutritional equivalent of spoonfuls of crisco. My digestive system let me know I needed a better strategy.

The great thing is the strategy works whether you're looking to transition to a completely cheese-free diet, looking to reduce cheese consumption, or just relish the thought of not being backed up. ('nuff said on that last one.
)

It's a multi-part strategy. No need to do them in any particular order, or try them all.

The first thing (and this one actually should be done along with all the other steps) is ... DON'T GIVE UP CHEESE.

But wait, that can't be right you're thinking. Isn't that what we're trying to do?

Well, yes, the end goal is to reduce or eliminate cheese from your diet. But we're not 'giving up' anything to get there. We're instead going to explore new foods and ideas about food. That's an adventure. It's fun. Giving something up is a burden. No fun at all.

more shortly on the other steps ... if my computer melts down that too would be no fun at all ... it's hot today and I'm thinking a break to cool down a bit would be a good thing right now ...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There's a lack of %100 vegan food where I live.
But I try to eat as much of it as I can.
I'm hoping to go vegan in a few years

·
Registered
25 Posts
My goal is to boycott factory farming, so I try to only eat products labeled organic, and I pay $5-6 for the cruelty free eggs. Since I only drink skim milk, it was easy for me to switch to organic almond milk (and my nieces and nephews like it too), but I do still also buy milk. It generally depends which is on sale. I've seen organic and diary-free ice cream and yogurt, but I prefer to make my own, using organic skim milk. I might try the almond ice cream, simply because it's probably healthier. I'm going to start making my own pizza, so I will try organic, no-fat cheeses and also the vegan cheeses. I did try a vegan queso, which was disgusting, so switched to hummus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niur-Tarow View Post

My only really big hangup is cheese (which is probably why I haven't just switched to full on veganism.)
I generally go on a "work as you can" method. I try to be as conscious of things as possible.
I agree with these 2 points from Niur-Tarow. I have a huge hangup with cheese and it's the only reason I haven't become vegan.
I only buy Vital Farm eggs, at Whole Foods, because I know they are humanely raised. I don't buy cow's milk. I use almond and soy milk. I do buy Veggie Slices cheese (which I know still has casein) but the true vegan "cheese" is just gross. I try to be very conscious, but cheese is definitely my downfall, sadly.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

what do you do about dairy? buy products from animals who you know werent harmed or treated poorly? if so how do you do this? or do you not worry about it? i like flax milk and dont cook with eggs anymore but still eat stuff eggs are in, but i think it's gonna be difficult to find a cheese i like and to make yogurt and icecream. just wondering
I'm not a vegan, but I do not consume dairy as I view it as FAR more cruel than eating meat, but that's my personal opinion.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:

I am NOT vegan anymore.....but I dont drink milk well I never did even when I was an omni....never liked the taste, smell, ect..I drink soy, almond, oat,rice, I eat rennett free cheeses and vegan cheese....I do eat eggs...not alot but some......I buy vegan ice cream and my sweetie makes vegan ice cream....I dont eat yogurt so thats not an issue with me....

Peace

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Cabot cheese is animal rennet free if you're looking for a cheese brand that is safe.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i drink Vanilla Soy milk, eat animal-rennet free cheeses, no eggs, switch back and forth between regular and dairy-free ice cream and am hooked on the Greek Gods honey-flavored yogurt.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lots of great replies, thanks. first i keep hearing there are alot of good non dairy ice creams so good you cant tell the difference. can you suggest some brands? all i have had is so coconut vanilla bean and i was very disappointed that it tasted like coconut and not vanilla, especially since my coconut milk tastes like bitter water not milk or coconut. i also keep hearing how delicious almond milk is. what brand are you drinking because silk is really gross. also i'm wondering if boycotting anything is gonna make any difference? walmart sells cage free all natural eggs for 2.78 but my friend who is a farmer has a next door neighbor that sells natural cage free eggs for 1$ a dozen. i love thick yogurt so when i made my own dairy yougurt i strained the whey out and it was thick and creamy and pectin free and gelatin free, but the coconut yogurt i tasted yas runny and quite tart. i found a non dairy yogurt starter online for 30$ so i might be able to make my own flaxseed yogurt one day

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I use almond milk. flax seeds/water instead eggs for baking
never ate yoghurt so i dont eat it now
cheese is something i still eat

but when i eat outside the house i never really check. so i am eating things prepared with dairy and eggs

vegan ice cream is actually pretty good. i haven't completely switched yet, but i like it

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

lots of great replies, thanks. first i keep hearing there are alot of good non dairy ice creams so good you cant tell the difference. can you suggest some brands? all i have had is so coconut vanilla bean and i was very disappointed that it tasted like coconut and not vanilla, especially since my coconut milk tastes like bitter water not milk or coconut. i also keep hearing how delicious almond milk is. what brand are you drinking because silk is really gross.
Almond Breeze!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts